HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Make a prospect Proposal: Mtl/St.L (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=545663)

loadie 08-22-2008 05:10 PM

Make a prospect Proposal: Mtl/St.L

I know that it's very rare for teams to trade prospects, especially high end talent. But one thing Montreal needs in the system IMHO is a highly talented center prospect. I look at the Blues and see two very talented centers in Oshie and Berglund. What would the Habs have to give in order to get one of these players? I'm not going to make a proposal because I don't know what the Blues need. Anyone?

WeezyHabFan 08-22-2008 10:37 PM

Blues are really only set in the defence department imo but im not too familiar with the blues so ima sit back and watch this one :P

WJG 08-22-2008 11:23 PM

Not a MTL/STL proposal, but how about:

To MTL: Colton Gillies, Petr Kalus
To MIN: Ryan McDonagh, Ben Maxwell

One Man Rock Band 08-23-2008 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlighting (Post 15234488)

McDonagh for Gillies may be workable, but not when Maxwell is "a throw in".. Kalus has NHL potential, but his ceiling isn't close to Maxwell, IMO.
No thanks.

Dawit49 08-23-2008 05:54 AM

Berglund+McKee

for

Higgins+Korneev (we cant be sure he will come over but if he do he might make a big impact)

- Hard to set a value on Berglund but i really do think he will make it big in the NHL.

Chomsky 08-23-2008 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawit49 (Post 15235673)
Berglund+McKee

for

Higgins+Korneev (we cant be sure he will come over but if he do he might make a big impact)

- Hard to set a value on Berglund but i really do think he will make it big in the NHL.

I really like Berglund, but he's unproven. Higgins worths more than that. I'd rather not have Mckee.

In sum, Higgins is not leaving for prospects and a bottom pairing D.

Dawit49 08-23-2008 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chomsky (Post 15235755)
I really like Berglund, but he's unproven. Higgins worths more than that. I'd rather not have Mckee.

In sum, Higgins is not leaving for prospects and a bottom pairing D.

So what are Montreal willing to to give for a "highly talented center prospect"? I just used Higgins because he's the player i know best on your roster :)

Frenzy1 08-23-2008 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loadie (Post 15231847)
I know that it's very rare for teams to trade prospects, especially high end talent. But one thing Montreal needs in the system IMHO is a highly talented center prospect. I look at the Blues and see two very talented centers in Oshie and Berglund. What would the Habs have to give in order to get one of these players? I'm not going to make a proposal because I don't know what the Blues need. Anyone?

Honestly, The Blues are set in the prospect department. We have a ton of D prospects, solid forward depth. If there is an area of weakness it may be in the net - depending on Allen's and Bishops development. Unless it is for a sure fire starter - kind of like Price, Berglund wont be traded.

There is no reason for the Blues to trade at this time. He is going to be a rookie being paid a reasonable contract- he has spent the past two seasons playing against men, he was dominant at the WJC. He has size, vision, speed....

Why would the Blues trade him? Especially for another prospect - which we really don't need.

Blind Gardien 08-23-2008 07:27 AM

Montreal has the annual option to load up on so-called highly talented centre prospects at the draft. Sorry if it kind of steps outside the bounds of the proposal, but I still just say wait and draft one if that's really such a big need. Whereas practically, it's actually such a minor "need" (barely a want) that I don't see much incentive to trade a prospect or player they've invested a lot in for one.

Dawit49 08-23-2008 07:36 AM

Quote:

Berglund wont be traded.
Why would the Blues trade him? Especially for another prospect - which we really don't need.
If we could fetch someone like higgins for him (of course in a packade deal and not 1on1) im sure he will be traded. No one is untouchable (Read Joe Thornton).

Chomsky 08-23-2008 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawit49 (Post 15235769)
So what are Montreal willing to to give for a "highly talented center prospect"? I just used Higgins because he's the player i know best on your roster :)

For Oshie? I do know that Latendresse will be expendable by next year except if he has his break-out year sooner than anticipated with Pacioretty signed. But it's not even nearly close to Oshie's value for the Blues management PoV, so probably nothing they are willing to give for a prospect.

Like Blind Gardien said, if we wanted one that badly, we'd have drafted one a while ago.

WeThreeKings 08-23-2008 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlighting (Post 15234488)

Are you on crack? I wouldn't take both of those Minnesota prospects for one of the MTL prospects you listed, straight up.

WeThreeKings 08-23-2008 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natey2k4 (Post 15235653)
McDonagh for Gillies may be workable, but not when Maxwell is "a throw in".. Kalus has NHL potential, but his ceiling isn't close to Maxwell, IMO.
No thanks.

How in the hell is McDonagh for Gillies workable? Why would we give up one of our top prospects for a checking line centre when we already have Lapierre, Chipchura, Fortier, White and many others who can do the same job and don't cost us our most promising prospect not named Pacioretty?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawit49 (Post 15235673)
Berglund+McKee

for

Done, done, done! I love Berglund, he's everything we need in the prospect pool. Losing Higgins is the only problem here and I feel we can overcome it with the depth of wingers coming up like Pacioretty, D'Agostini and many others. With the addition of Tanguay it makes it easier to swallow.

Dawit49 08-23-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Done, done, done! I love Berglund, he's everything we need in the prospect pool. Losing Higgins is the only problem here
You have to give something to get something (execpt future considerations)

#57 08-23-2008 08:34 AM

How about Berglund + McKee for Higgins and Dandenault?

Blues take on a bit of dollars but they can afford it, Habs free up some money in case they land Sundin and add a #7 dman.

Berglund makes the team if we can't land Sundin, otherwise he goes to Hamilton for a year.

Tanguay - Plekanec - Kovalev
S.Kostitsyn - Sundin/Berglund - A.Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Koivu - Lapierre
Begin - Chipchura - Laraque
*Kostopoulos

Markov/Komisarek
Hamrlik/O'Byrne
Bouillon/Gorges
*McKee

WeThreeKings 08-23-2008 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawit49 (Post 15235897)
You have to give something to get something (execpt future considerations)

Yup and I don't mind losing Higgins for Berglund.

WeThreeKings 08-23-2008 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #57 (Post 15235925)
How about Berglund + McKee for Higgins and Dandenault?

Blues take on a bit of dollars but they can afford it, Habs free up some money in case they land Sundin and add a #7 dman.

Berglund makes the team if we can't land Sundin, otherwise he goes to Hamilton for a year.

Tanguay - Plekanec - Kovalev
S.Kostitsyn - Sundin/Berglund - A.Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Koivu - Lapierre
Begin - Chipchura - Laraque
*Kostopoulos

Markov/Komisarek
Hamrlik/O'Byrne
Bouillon/Gorges
*McKee

You'd have to keep Korneev in the deal, imo. Korneev is a wildcard, but I'm sure the Blues management would like him involved as he's got the abilities it's just about his willingness to come over.

In your line-up McKee would be in over Bouillon.

#57 08-23-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeThreeKings (Post 15235954)
You'd have to keep Korneev in the deal, imo. Korneev is a wildcard, but I'm sure the Blues management would like him involved as he's got the abilities it's just about his willingness to come over.

In your line-up McKee would be in over Bouillon.

OK, I wouldn't mind including Korneev. We have like 10 guys ahead of him on the defensive depth chart, and dealing him away is just one less Russian headache to take car of.

Higgins, Korneev, Dandenault
for
Berglund, McKee

Where do I sign?

Dawit49 08-23-2008 08:58 AM

So all of the sudden Higgins is "expandable" :laugh:

MonacoBlue 08-23-2008 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawit49 (Post 15236011)

He's not but we like Berglund :p:

WeThreeKings 08-23-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawit49 (Post 15236011)

He's a tradable asset to acquire a need in the organization.

fcpremix88 08-23-2008 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #57 (Post 15235965)
OK, I wouldn't mind including Korneev. We have like 10 guys ahead of him on the defensive depth chart, and dealing him away is just one less Russian headache to take car of.

Higgins, Korneev, Dandenault
for
Berglund, McKee

Where do I sign?

Berglund is more important to the Blues than what he's currently worth. Consider him the Blues' version of Andrei Kostitsyn. It's just not going to happen, unless he's there's a superstar coming back.

Irish Blues 08-23-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawit49 (Post 15235795)
If we could fetch someone like higgins for him (of course in a packade deal and not 1on1) im sure he will be traded. No one is untouchable (Read Joe Thornton).

The Blues front office is much smarter about their assets than Mike O'Connell was. Berglund does not go in a "Thornton to the Sharks" type of deal to anyone.

Berglund isn't going anywhere. Guys who draw comparisons to Mats Sundin from before they're drafted to now are not shipped off for short-term needs - and as good as Higgins will be, Berglund has the potential to be every but as good or better. The Blues are not in "gotta win now" mode, so there's no reason for them to go ship off their high-end prospects. [Read: Oshie, Eller, Pietrangelo, etc.]

#57 08-23-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiodos (Post 15236206)
Berglund is more important to the Blues than what he's currently worth. Consider him the Blues' version of Andrei Kostitsyn. It's just not going to happen, unless he's there's a superstar coming back.

Kostitsyn just had a huge season and anyone who follows hockey know he's just going to get better and will end up a high-end 1st liner. Berglund is not in the same boat right now, he hasn't even played a game in North-America yet. Your version of Andrei Kostitsyn could be Brad Boyes, young goal scorer who just had a good season and will only get better. Berglund is your version of Max Pacioretty: prospect, big frame, future 1st liner.

The Habs wouldnt deal Pacioretty so I understand why the Blues won't trade Berglund. But some of you guys made it sound like a Higgins for Berglund swap could be possible.

I'm not sure Gainey pulls the trigger since he's in win-now mode, and I'm not sure Pleau/Davidson or whoever runs the ship down there would make that deal either since they are rebuilding.

No deal I guess.

Vatican Roulette 08-23-2008 11:30 AM

I can't understand some of the posts by blues fans on this one. Berglund was ranked in the top 5 in this years future watch, has developed quite well since being drafted and has a high ceiling in terms of potential. Add to the fact that the blues are in no position to make a run at the playoffs, and are still in the 'rebuild' mode, it would be foolish to trade a top prospect for a guy that's a 1st line tweener. Now if it's for a guy that is a young star in the NHL already(package deal) then maybe it's plausable, but I dont see trading Berglund as a good thing for St. Louis.