HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Skate Holders on Graf 709's (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=546075)

Freddie Mercury 08-24-2008 07:27 PM

Skate Holders on Graf 709's

I purchased a pair of Graf 709's 2 years ago and have used them essentially 1 and a half seasons. The last half of this season I had terrible problems staying on my feet pivoting to backwards left. I saw the blade looked a little slanted on the left skate so I took them in and was told I needed the holder shifted over to straighten this out. It seemed to work for a while until I ran into the same problem, this time with both. Both blades appeared to be slanted again. I found this odd as I am only about 180 pounds and figured it must be a manufacturers defect. Now, getting ready for the new season I examined my skates and not only were the blades slightly crooked outwards but the rivets were coming loose and on the shifted boot one was gone.

My questions are would it be good to just replace the holders or would the left boot be too damaged from the shifting that i should just try and get the skates replaced? Would warranty likely even cover them? Can you even put new holders on skates? I purchased these through United Cycle in Edmonton and also got the blades shifted there so not a two bit operation they should know what they are doing.

p.s. An employee did mention this is a common defect in all lines of graf skates with the cobra holders. I loved these skates when they performed how they are meant to and would prefer not to trade them in as they are not worn at all and still fit me perfectly. Thank you for reading.

deanosaur 08-24-2008 07:45 PM

Yeah it is actually a common problem. My buddy had 3 pairs of G35s I think before he got a non defect pair. Warrenty SHOULD cover them if not then that's pure ********. Go talk to the store you purchased them at and see what they say. They should send them and Graf should be replacing them. That's what my buddy did 2 times.

mayoradamwest* 08-24-2008 07:48 PM

Not sure if this is the same problem I had, but I found that I had to continually tighten the the blade up (and plastic part.) I found my blade shifted a lot until I started tightening them on a more regular basis. Bit of a pain for the hassle of maintenance, but I love em.

Freddie Mercury 08-24-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deangamblin (Post 15247125)
Yeah it is actually a common problem. My buddy had 3 pairs of G35s I think before he got a non defect pair. Warrenty SHOULD cover them if not then that's pure ********. Go talk to the store you purchased them at and see what they say. They should send them and Graf should be replacing them. That's what my buddy did 2 times.

Okay thanks for that. Yeah I was mostly worried about the time I have had them affecting warranty. Would there be any other option besides sending them in? I start soon and can't really handle the hassle. i play at a AAA level and play way too often to be waiting on skates.. especially if i would have to do it an additional time. Would a sports store usually just give me a pair and order in a free one to replace it?

Freddie Mercury 08-24-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayoradamwest (Post 15247142)
Not sure if this is the same problem I had, but I found that I had to continually tighten the the blade up (and plastic part.) I found my blade shifted a lot until I started tightening them on a more regular basis. Bit of a pain for the hassle of maintenance, but I love em.

Yeah I never tightened but I have tried and couldn't. It was tight and is now. Plus the rivets shouldn't be coming out.. lol. Thank you tho I will keep that in mind if I get another pair or it starts to happen with this one if they get fixed.

deanosaur 08-24-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFJK (Post 15247190)
Okay thanks for that. Yeah I was mostly worried about the time I have had them affecting warranty. Would there be any other option besides sending them in? I start soon and can't really handle the hassle. i play at a AAA level and play way too often to be waiting on skates.. especially if i would have to do it an additional time. Would a sports store usually just give me a pair and order in a free one to replace it?

Yeah he was AAA at the time too. I would just go the store and see what they do. If they send them ask if you can borrow a pair of skates in the mean time just to use ya know.

Freddie Mercury 08-24-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deangamblin (Post 15247509)
Yeah he was AAA at the time too. I would just go the store and see what they do. If they send them ask if you can borrow a pair of skates in the mean time just to use ya know.

Okay great. Yeah I am planning on it sometime this week. Live about an hour and a half away so gotta make some time. I will see. United seems to be a pretty professional place service wise. Thanks for the help. :)

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD 08-26-2008 11:38 AM

Ever tried changing the Cobra holder to a CCM style tuuk??

I also had a similar situation with my Graf 707's and changed the tuuk to a CCM.

Helped alot...but you will have to get used to the different feel. I'd say a game or 2

These guys must not be re-riveting the skate properly. The pro shop inside your local rink should be able to fix it for you so you don't have any downtime on your season.

Hope it all works out.

-Brian

Freddie Mercury 08-27-2008 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD (Post 15261452)
Ever tried changing the Cobra holder to a CCM style tuuk??

I also had a similar situation with my Graf 707's and changed the tuuk to a CCM.

Helped alot...but you will have to get used to the different feel. I'd say a game or 2

These guys must not be re-riveting the skate properly. The pro shop inside your local rink should be able to fix it for you so you don't have any downtime on your season.

Hope it all works out.

-Brian

maybe that would work!!
thanks for the tip
all else fails i'll trade in cause the boot is perfect
and get some ccm u pro's

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD 08-27-2008 01:42 AM

Yeap, those are the same skates I'm buying. CCM U+ Pro