HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Stick shafts (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=546576)

RandV 08-26-2008 06:20 PM

Stick shafts

I recently bought a bunch of blades (wood), they don't make the style I like anymore so when I found some on a shelf at sportcheck I cleared them out, but now I need to buy a shaft. I took a quick look at my skate shop today while getting my skates sharpened, they had a few models ranging from $100-150, but couldn't tell much difference between them. Is there anything in particular I should look for or is one model as good as the next, assuming they're equally priced? Also, the shaft is far more durable than our usual one-piece wood or composite right?

Brodeur 08-26-2008 06:38 PM

Most of it will be personal preferance. Flex, grip/no grip, shaft shape, weight. Composite shafts are produced the same way as most one piece composite sticks as I understand it (most "one pieces" are tapered shaft+blade cosmetically changed to look like a one piece). So the shaft itself shouldn't be any more/less durable.

Heat McManus 08-26-2008 06:39 PM

whatever you do, make sure you get a shaft that is compatible with the blades you got. If they're thin hosel you will need a tapered shaft, if not then a regular shaft will do.

Personally I use a Easton Z-Bubble, which is now the S15

Jarick 08-26-2008 10:49 PM

What's your height and weight? Are you particularly strong or weak? Are you using wood sticks right now? Do you have to cut them down at all? Are the blades standard or tapered hosels?

RandV 08-27-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 15267919)
What's your height and weight? Are you particularly strong or weak? Are you using wood sticks right now? Do you have to cut them down at all? Are the blades standard or tapered hosels?

Well, I'm 6' 190lbs. For my size I more though I'm more about lower body strength, I have a fairly quick release but not much strength in my arms. Currently I switch between a wood and cheap composite KOHO stick, as for size I like it an inch above the standard 'chin height' length, so as shafts are generally quite short I'll be putting in a good extension. The blades are standard fibre hosels, KOHO like my sticks. Except I have 6 of these, I really like their Jagr curves :). While I'm a beginner I've tried out a good number of curves but thats the only one that's ever felt 'just right'.

And I was also wondering, is flex strength measured in KPS? Because my current composite is rated as 45KPS, I didn't think they went that low. My wristers good with it but my slap or snap shots with it are pathetic.

Brodeur 08-27-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandV (Post 15270847)
And I was also wondering, is flex strength measured in KPS? Because my current composite is rated as 45KPS, I didn't think they went that low. My wristers good with it but my slap or snap shots with it are pathetic.

That's the CCM/RBK way of denoting flex. 45 KP corresponds to 100 flex in Easton/Bauer/Mission etc. The "S" is for standard, as they'll have 40 KP R (regular, ~85 flex), 35 KP M (medium, ~75 flex), 30 KP L (light, ~65 flex).

Jarick 08-27-2008 01:11 PM

Well you're decent height, I'd check out an 85 flex shaft. Bring one of the blades with when you're looking at the shafts so you can make sure you're getting the right one (standard for thick hosel blades, tapered for thin).

RandV 08-27-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 15272343)
Well you're decent height, I'd check out an 85 flex shaft. Bring one of the blades with when you're looking at the shafts so you can make sure you're getting the right one (standard for thick hosel blades, tapered for thin).

That's what I was thinking, but if I'm going to add a couple inches with an extension should I maybe try a 100 flex?

Jarick 08-28-2008 12:22 PM

Whatever you're comfortable with. Usually adults use sticks that are too stiff, but if you're using a 100 flex and feel it's fairly whippy for your height, stick with it!

RandV 08-28-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 15281745)
Whatever you're comfortable with. Usually adults use sticks that are too stiff, but if you're using a 100 flex and feel it's fairly whippy for your height, stick with it!

Actually I got it wrong, it's an 80 flex (or 40kps). And it was one of my team mates that I lent it to one game that pointed out it was really whippy, I don't really notice too much except I can't take a snap or slap shot like I can with my stiffer wood stick. But yeah, they say adding an inch takes off about 5 flex from a stick, and I'll be adding about 5 inches so should probably go with a 100.

Brodeur 08-28-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandV (Post 15281838)
But yeah, they say adding an inch takes off about 5 flex from a stick, and I'll be adding about 5 inches so should probably go with a 100.

Adding length makes the stick whippier....

greech 08-30-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos (Post 15265881)
whatever you do, make sure you get a shaft that is compatible with the blades you got. If they're thin hosel you will need a tapered shaft, if not then a regular shaft will do.

Personally I use a Easton Z-Bubble, which is now the S15

S15 shaft or ops, 'cause the OPS is nothing like the z-bub.

noobman 09-02-2008 09:39 PM

You should go with anything from an 85-100, depending on how strong you think you are and what position you play. Defencemen usually have stiffer sticks than forwards.

I personally don't like the feel of anything lower than an 85 flex, despite the fact that I'm not terribly strong, and because I switch between D and forward so much, I use a pretty stiff stick.

stoll_16 09-03-2008 01:11 AM

I can vouch for the S15. I have a 100 flex, non grip one. Easton SC Lami Hybrid blade with Iginla curve. A dream stick.

I'm a smaller guy, at 5'9 and 160, but I really like using a stiff stick. I play centre as well

MikeD 09-10-2008 06:23 PM

Take good care of those extra blades. Sitting on a shelf in the garage through a dry winter can make them very brittle...

fourofakindfowl 09-10-2008 07:34 PM

Easton Z Bubble 100 flex with a Modano/Forsberg wood blade is my favourite stick of all time.