HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Who would YOU have drafted? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=54694)

Estimated_Prophet 02-22-2004 05:06 PM

Who would YOU have drafted?

I was bored and was reflecting on our past drafts and decided to make a list of all of the 1st and 2nd round picks that I was hoping for Montreal to call out since 1991 which is the first year that I started seriously following the entry draft. The only exceptions on this list are in 1999 when we traded the 10th overall pick for Linden (I listed who I would have taken if we kept the pick) and 2000 when we didn't have a 2nd round pick but got the player I wanted anyways in the 3rd round.

Year..Pick#..........Montreal...........Myself
'91.....17........Brent Bilodeau.......Ray Whitney
"........28........Jim Campbell.........Yannic Perreault
"........43........Craig Darby..........Kerry Toporowski
'92.....20........David Wilkie..........Valeri Bure
"........33........Valeri Bure...........Jeff Shantz
"........44........Keli Corpse...........Keli Corpse
'93.....21........Saku Koivu...........Saku Koivu
"........47........Rory Fitzpatrick.....Domenic Pittis
'94.....18........Brad Brown...........Vadim Sharifjanov
"........44.......Jose Theodore.......Vitali Yachmenev
'95.....8.........Terry Ryan............Radek Dvorak
'96.....18........Matt Higgins..........Daniel Briere
"........44........Mathieu Garon.......Mathieu Garon
'97.....11........Jason Ward...........Daniel Cleary
"........37.....Gregor Baumgartner...Kristian Huselius
'98.....16........Eric Chouinard.......Dimitri Kalinin
"........45........Mike Ribeiro..........Justin Papineau
'99.....10........(Linden Trade)......Denis Shvidki
"........39........Alex Buturlin.........Alex Buturlin
"........58........Matt Carkner........Mike Zigomanis
'00.....13........Ron Hainsey..........Vaclav Nedorost
"........16........Marcel Hossa........Alexander Frolov
"........70........Jozef Balej............Jozef Balej
'01.....7..........Mike Komisarek......Dan Hamhuis
"........25........Alex Perezhogin......Alex Perezhogin
"........37........Duncan Milroy........Duncan Milroy
'02.....14........Chris Higgins..........Jiri Hudler
"...................Thomas Linhart.......Vladislav Evseev
'03.....10........Andrei Kastitsyn.....Zach Parise
"........40........Corey Urquhart......Patrick O'Sullivan
"........61........Maxim Lapierre.......Konstantin Zakharov

Feel free to cut and paste and punch in your own picks. It will be a refreshing change from alot of the current topics on this board.

Rather Gingerly 1* 02-22-2004 05:10 PM

'97 - Ward
'98 - Skoula
'00 - Nedorost
'01 - Trade down and draft Hemsky
'02 - Trade up for Bouchard
'03 - Zack Parise

That's all I can remember

ChemiseBleuHonnete 02-22-2004 05:31 PM

98 -
Gagne
Fisher and Ribeiro (I liked his high point total at the time)

99 -
McCarthy or Havlat (someone was raving about his skills and I thought he was a nice wildcard)

00 -
Nedorost (I don't like him anymore but I wanted him back then)
Vermette (I was VERY high on him... I still want him in MTL, he's a very intelligent guy btw)

01 - Komisarek, Ruutu or Umberger
lots of players in the second round

02 - Steen or Higgins (I'm a big fan of two-way players...)

03 - Kasty, Carter, Nilsson, Pouliot, Eaves....

that's it and découverte is about to begin so.... gotta go

Jeffrey 02-22-2004 05:57 PM

98- Gagné (im still one of his biggest fan)
99- I was very high on Brendl :lol:
00- didn't follow was too busy that year !!
01- Kovalchuk ;), Ruutu, Koivu, Hamhuis
02- Bouwmeester,Eminger,Babchuk
03- Kastitsyn :bow: (he was my favorite player on the draft), Zherdev, Michalek, Staal,Suter and Bernier :eek:
04- Green, Stafford, Barker and Ovechkin ;)
05 - Crosby, Latendresse
06 - ???

Mathletic 02-22-2004 06:11 PM

Anthony Stewart, Justin Williams

theo6060 02-22-2004 06:22 PM

I had to re-read what you wrote. I couldn't believe you said you'd rather Cleary than Marian Hossa back when we took Ward... Back then though Cleary looked like he was going to be amazing though. I'll post mine a little later. BTW, nice thread idea!

Shazbot 02-22-2004 06:38 PM

did they really draft a guy named Kelly CORPSE?

Patty Roy 02-22-2004 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shazbot
did they really draft a guy named Kelly CORPSE?

Yeah...and the guy was a pretty good scorer for Kingston, i believe...

Patty Roy 02-22-2004 07:10 PM

If my memory serves me correctly...

2003 - 1st (Jeff Carter or Zach Parise) Habs - Andrei Kastsitsyn
2002 - 1st (Jakub Koreis) Habs - Chris Higgins
2001 - 1st (Mikko Koivu, but when he went Komisarek) - Habs Komisarek
2001 - 1st (Perezhogin) Habs - Perezhogin
2000 - 1st (Vaclav Nedorost) Habs - Hainsey
2000 - 1st (Alex Frolov) Habs - Hossa
1999 - No 1st (I wanted Lundmark, after he went Shvidki) Habs - no pick
1998 - 1st (Simon Gagne) Habs - Chouinard
1997 - 1st (Brad Ference, but when he went Dan Cleary) Habs - Jason Ward
1996 - 1st (Zubrus, when he went Descoteaux) Habs - Matt Higgins
1995 - 1st (Shane Doan, when he went Radek Dvorak) Habs - Terry Ryan
1994 - 1st (Eric Fichaud and Wayne Primeau were my picks) Habs - Brad Brown
1993 - 1st (Saku Koivu) Habs - Saku Koivu
1992 - 1st (Paul Brousseau) Habs - David Wilkie
1991 - 1st (Brent Bilodeau) Habs - Brent Bilodeau

Team_Spirit 02-22-2004 07:13 PM

I think the pick was Buturlin , i loved it at the time ... a russian enigma ...

Marc the Habs Fan 02-22-2004 07:15 PM

I only started following the draft closely in 00 and seriously in 02 so:

00: I wanted Nedorost as well. The CSB had him as the best Euro out there at mid season IIRC. I was very dissapointed when we grabbed Hainsey instead of Nedorost but it had more to do with not knowing who Hainsey was. As for the 2nd pick, looking back on it we should have grabbed Frolov who will become a player similar to Marian Hossa IMO but at the time I had no idea who Frolov was.

01: All season long I wanted the Habs to suck to get Kovalchuk or Spezza or a guy like Weiss or Mikko Koivu. I also liked Ruutu, Hemsky and Komisarek. For the 2nd pick, I liked a guy like Tim Gleason.

02: I was high on Babchuk, Bouchard and Hudler. I didn't know much about Higgins so the pick dissapointed me at first because we left a guy like Hudler in the stands, but there's no way I am dissapointed with the pick at this point.

03: I wanted either one of Phaneuf, AK or Parise with that pick. I would have been fine with a guy like Carter or Jessiman as well. I wanted NO PART of Ryan Getzlaf. Very glad we picked AK obviously. :rolly:

Patty Roy 02-22-2004 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
03: I wanted either one of Phaneuf, AK or Parise with that pick. I would have been fine with a guy like Carter or Jessiman as well. I wanted NO PART of Ryan Getzlaf. Very glad we picked AK obviously. :rolly:

I should have noted that Phaneuf was 100% the guy i wanted. But i was also pretty darn sure that there was no way he would slip to us.

I also would have been ok with Jessiman.

Estimated_Prophet 02-22-2004 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty Roy
If my memory serves me correctly...

2003 - 1st (Jeff Carter or Zach Parise) Habs - Andrei Kastsitsyn
2002 - 1st (Jakub Koreis) Habs - Chris Higgins
2001 - 1st (Mikko Koivu, but when he went Komisarek) - Habs Komisarek
2001 - 1st (Perezhogin) Habs - Perezhogin
2000 - 1st (Vaclav Nedorost) Habs - Hainsey
2000 - 1st (Alex Frolov) Habs - Hossa
1998 - 1st (Simon Gagne) Habs - Chouinard
1997 - 1st (Brad Ference, but when he went Dan Cleary) Habs - Jason Ward
1996 - 1st (Zubrus, when he went Descoteaux) Habs - Matt Higgins
1995 - 1st (Shane Doan, when he went Radek Dvorak) Habs - Terry Ryan
1994 - 1st (Eric Fichaud and Wayne Primeau were my picks) Habs - Brad Brown
1993 - 1st (Saku Koivu) Habs - Saku Koivu
1992 - 1st (Paul Brousseau) Habs - David Wilkie
1991 - 1st (Brent Bilodeau) Habs - Brent Bilodeau

For the most part it seems like you and I were on the same page with guys that we wanted Montreal to draft. I was also drooling over Doan and Zubrus but we never had a chance to draft them. Another guy who I was very high on that was drafted before we had a chance at him was Josh Holden but today I can say that I am happy that he was gone when our turn came.

Team_Spirit 02-22-2004 07:32 PM

'03-Dion Phaneuf ... i was pissed when Calgary picked him just beofre us .

'02-Eric Nystrom ... Sure Higgins is a gem but Nystrom looked better more of a hard working type . Now i'm glad we have Higgins .

'01-Alexander Svitov/M.Koivu ... I knew it was impossible to get Spezza or Kovalchuk but i was hoping to see Svitov fall at #7 . And also lMikko Koivu as many of us .

'00-Marcel Hossa ... We had him and Hainsey we also had Balej :) Brian Sutherby was also a favourite but i was happy with Ron and Marcel .

'99-Kristian Kudroc ... With only a fast 2nd rounder that year ( Linden... ) Kudroc was a fav , he was selected last in 1st round . With the 10th pick we traded i would had picked Jeff Jillson .

'98-Vincent Lecavalier ... I was dreaming too much at this time , but he was really the guy i wanted so ... i also loved Mark Bell . And Ramzi Abid in the 2nd round .

Patty Roy 02-22-2004 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet
For the most part it seems like you and I were on the same page with guys that we wanted Montreal to draft. I was also drooling over Doan and Zubrus but we never had a chance to draft them. Another guy who I was very high on that was drafted before we had a chance at him was Josh Holden but today I can say that I am happy that he was gone when our turn came.

I started following the draft in 1990, but with the high pick in 1994, that was really the first year that i followed the draft and had a clearcut favorite. After watching the Memorial Cup, i really wanted Doan...the guy was a horse for that team, and IMO was far more impressive than Iginla at the same age. While Doan rose up the charts as the draft approached, i was still convinced he was going to be there for the Habs. I was completely shocked when the Jets picked him.

Zubrus i wasn't quite as sold on, but with that draft looked absolutely brutal and i figured the Habs should role the dice and go for the home run pick. Instead they picked about as "safe" a pick as you can have, and he still completely tanked!

theo6060 02-22-2004 08:04 PM

In 2000, I was hoping the Habs would take Vaclav Nedorost 13th. At 16 I was really hoping we'd take Brad Boyes or Krys Kolanos. I'm indifferent now about both picks, still a bit early to call either guy a bust.

In 2001, I was really hoping we'd land either Spezza or Kovalchuk. Then I was hoping for Mikko Koivu. After he was taken I was almost sure that we'd take Pascal Leclaire but was hoping for Ruutu or Hamhuis. I'm glad AS took Komisarek though. I was hoping Colby Armstrong would be available when we were picking 25th, but after he was taken I didn't really know enough about the draft at that time to make an educated guess. I'm glad it was Perezhogin though...

In 2002, I knew it wouldn't happen but the player I really wanted was Scottie Upshall. Then when he was taken, I was hoping for Alex Semin. After that I was thinking we'd take Babchuk. I didn't know a lot about Higgins so when we took him I was kind of upset. But I am very very happy with that pick now.

Last year I was trying to send AS mind waves to draft AK. I was praying he'd take him. When he said "From Russia..." I jumped out of my chair and started yelling I was so happy. If he weren't available I definetly was hoping for Parise. I was hoping we'd trade up and take Stewart when he was there so long. At 40, most of you all know I was pulling for Kevin Klein, the player from my avatar. I was upset he was taken when we picked though.

Estimated_Prophet 02-22-2004 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty Roy
I started following the draft in 1990, but with the high pick in 1994, that was really the first year that i followed the draft and had a clearcut favorite. After watching the Memorial Cup, i really wanted Doan...the guy was a horse for that team, and IMO was far more impressive than Iginla at the same age. While Doan rose up the charts as the draft approached, i was still convinced he was going to be there for the Habs. I was completely shocked when the Jets picked him.

Zubrus i wasn't quite as sold on, but with that draft looked absolutely brutal and i figured the Habs should role the dice and go for the home run pick. Instead they picked about as "safe" a pick as you can have, and he still completely tanked!

I think alot of Hab fans got a good look at Doan in Kamloops and not solely because of the Memorial Cups but we were also watching Darcy Tucker who was Hab property at the time. There was a distinct moan that could be heard from Hab fans right across Canada when Winnipeg called Shane Doan's name.

habitants9_4 02-22-2004 09:32 PM

Since you know what they will turn out, it is easy to tell what you would have picked in the early 90's. As for the rest I will be honest.

'94.....18........Brad Brown...........Vadim Sharifjanov
"........44.......Jose Theodore.......Vitali Yachmenev
'95.....8.........Terry Ryan............Radek Dvorak
'96.....18........Matt Higgins..........Daniel Briere
"........44........Mathieu Garon.......Mathieu Garon
'97.....11........Jason Ward...........Daniel Cleary
"........37.....Gregor Baumgartner...Kristian Huselius
'98.....16........Eric Chouinard(where did we go wrong, supposed to be great never got the chance).......Simon Gagne
"........45........Mike Ribeiro..........Mike Ribeiro (no regrets)
'99.....10........(Linden Trade)......Barett Jackman
"........39........Alex Buturlin.........Jordan Leopold
"........58........Matt Carkner........Niklas Hagman
'00.....13........Ron Hainsey..........David Hale
"........16........Marcel Hossa........Anton Volchenkov
"........70........Jozef Balej............Jozef Balej
'01.....7..........Mike Komisarek......Tuomo Ruutu
"........25........Alex Perezhogin......Jeff Woywitka
"........37........Duncan Milroy........FEDOR TJUTIN (No doubt..Guelph Storm)
'02.....14........Chris Higgins..........sorry Chris Grebeshkov
"...................Thomas Linhart.......David Lenevue
'03.....10........Andrei Kastitsyn.....Dustin Brown/Anthony Stewart
"........40........Corey Urquhart......Patrick O'Sullivan
"........61........Maxim Lapierre.......David Liffiton

Too bad im not the GM with a time machine eh!

PJ Wiggum 02-23-2004 09:15 AM

I only really started following the draft in 2001 so I will only post my picks from those years:
2001- 7th overall: Sjostrom
25th overall: Woywitka
37th overall: Milroy
2002- 15th overall: Semin
45th overall: Hudler
2003- 10th overall: Brown (but once I read about Kastitson it was him)
40th overall: Ramholt
61st overall: M-A Bernier
I think those would have been good picks at the time but looking back on it now I'd say we did pretty good. ;)

sonnytheman 02-23-2004 09:34 AM

2001 7th: Hamhuis
2002 14th: Babchuk
2003 10th: Parise or Jessiman (the guy I really wanted was, of course, Phaneuf)

Subban Fan 02-23-2004 09:38 AM

1995 Terry Ryan....Terry Ryan
1996 Matt Higgins....Daniel Brière
1997 Jason Ward....Dan Cleary
1998 Éric Chouinard....Ramzi Abid
2000 Ron Hainsey....Vaclav Nedorost
2000 Marcel Hossa....Brooks Orpik
2001 Mike Komisarek....Tuomo Ruutu
2001 Alex Perezhogin....Alex Perezhogin
2002 Chris Higgins....Jiri Hudler
2003 Andrei Kastsitsyn....Zach Parise

Darz 02-23-2004 10:04 AM

Ouch!!! You are going to make me think. My memory isn't great but, I'll give it a try.

'83
Alfie Turcotte - remember thinking it was a great pick. Supposablely he had a ton of offensive potential and this looked like a gem for Montreal.

'84
Svoboda/Corson - very happy with both picks. We seemed to have stolen Svoboda away from the Bruins (who were trying to trade up) which seemed real sweet.

'85
Jose Charbonneau - remember being pissed off at management for this pick. His potential didn't seem high and everybody was stating the only reason we selected him was to keep him away from the Nordiques. We traded with the Blues to get the pick. Seemed like a stupid move then and still seems like a stupid move today. I wanted the habs to select Dave Latta (Thunder Bay product)

'86
Mark Peterson - remember thinking the habs really nabbed themselves a goalscorer with that pick. Turned out to be a big disappointment. At least we got a 2nd rounder from Philly before his value went down the tubes (sounds like Chouinard).

'87
Andrew Cassels - was happy to see him fall into the habs hands. Though he was going to be great. Cassels to Peterson was going to be a great combo for years and yeats.

'88
Eric Carron - I remember watching intently hoping Francois Leroux was going to fall to us. Then with the pick before us, the oilers nabbed him and I was pissed. I remember the habs picking Carron and the announcers stating he was a poor mans Leroux.

'89
Linday Vallis - I liked what I hear about him after the draft, but I remember wanting the habs to select Steven Rice with the pick.

'90
Turner Stevenson - I was O.K. with that pick since it didn't seem like there was any really good offensive players left and Stevenson sounded like a blue chipper. He has basically turned into the player many said he would on draft day. Remembering wanting Brad May with the pick.

'91
Brent Bilodeau - I wanted the habs to pick Yanic Perreault because early in the draft coverage they had a little story about him, and I though he would make a perfect hab. Couldn't of been any worst than Brent Bildeau.

'92
David Wilke - don't recall if I watched the draft that year, but remember being happy the habs nabbed Valeri Bure in the second round because alot of people thought he was a 1st rounder.

'93
Saku Koivu - don't recall my reaction to this pick, but remember wishing the habs would make a move up to get Daigle or Pronger.

'94
Brad Brown - was quite happy with this pick. He seemed to have decent NHL defenseman written all over him. Mean, good shot. He was defiantely a big disappointment.

'95
Terry Ryan - remember the big hype about Doan when he fell to Winnipeg, and Sather's prediction that in 5 years Steve Kelly would be considered much better than Doan. I like many others was hoping Doan would fall one more spot...Terry Ryan just seemed like a poor mans Shane Doan.

'96
Matt Higgins - Rejean Houle's first draft. Didn't like the fact that Houle was so impressed with Higgns ability to speak french. It seemed to be Houle's favorite thing abotu the guy and didn't seem like a good reason to select the guy. Remember hearing his skating was sub-par. Don't recall who I wanted the habs to pick.

'97
Jason Ward - Was real happy about this pick as many people had me believing we had a real gem with Ward. Another reason not to beleive all the hype about prospects. He was the guy I was hoping we would pick.

'98
Eric Chouinard - Another one I was happy with. He seemed to have all the tools, or so I was lead to believe. I was confused with ehy he was still available at #16 considering all the good things they were saying about him.

'99
no pick - didn't pay attention or watch the draft.

'00
Ron Hainey/Marcel Hossa - one of my favorite drafts because me and my bro watched it in some bar in Nipigon (we were visting my uncle's camp not too far from there and decided to go into town to watch the draft. we ended up watching it in some legion where we were the only two peopel there).
I remember liking names like Brad Boyes and Steve Ott.

'01
Mike Komisarek - I was O.K. with the pick although I remember alos likely Hamhuis and Ruttu. Really though we were goingto end up with Koivu.
Alex Perezhogin - I thought this wasa good pick as well. Seemed to have some good upside.
Duncan Milroy - Maybe my favorite pick of the draft by the habs because of all the good things I read about him.

'02
C. Higgins - I remember thinking it was O.K. although I was cnfused with the trade up move. Remember Daniel Paille being my pick.

'03
Andrei Kastitsyn - seemed like a good pick, but a gamble. I was O.K. with that although I would of probabely picked Brown with the pick. Also thought maybe the habs would consider Getzlaf.

st_roland 02-23-2004 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz

'03
Andrei Kastitsyn - seemed like a good pick, but a gamble. I was O.K. with that although I would of probabely picked Brown with the pick.

Brown? Whos Brown?

Le depisteur 02-23-2004 10:31 AM

Here's my choices at the time:

2003 - 1st (Zach Parise), CH - Andrei Kastsitsyn
2003 - 2nd (Danny Fritsche), CH - Cory Urquhart
2002 - 1st (Jiri Hudler), CH - Chris Higgins
2002 - 2nd (Matthew Stajan), CH - Tomas Linhart
2001 - 1st (Tuomo Ruutu), CH - Komisarek
2001 - 1st (Alexander Perezhogin), CH - Alexander Perezhogin
2000 - 1st (Anton Volchenkov), CH - Ron Hainsey
2000 - 1st (Brad Boyes), CH - Marcel Hossa
1999 - 2nd (Jordan Leopold), CH - Alexander Buturlin