HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Serge Payer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=54704)

r19 02-22-2004 05:34 PM

Serge Payer

I really like this Payer guy.He is feisty and gritty,his legs never seems to be stoping.
I rather have Payer on the 4th line than VanAllen. VanAllen is a good team player but i find he's getting old. Although he adds character and experience to the club.
What do u guys think of his preformances .

littleHossa 02-22-2004 05:56 PM

The tv crew seems to pronounce his name the same way as "Paille", it took me a while to find out it was Payer, wondered what kind of trade went through.
Anyway, he did look very fiesty, caused a few turnovers and made things happen. I think he could look good on the forecheck, as a winger though, not a centerman.

V for Voodoo 02-22-2004 06:36 PM

The guy is a quality 4th line center in this league.
To me, he is a younger Van Allen with better skating.

Again, BingoSensFan is right on the money with his assessment of our farmhands.
He was telling us about Payer early in the season, and he's been everything he was touted to be.

Sting 02-22-2004 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
The guy is a quality 4th line center in this league.
To me, he is a younger Van Allen with better skating.

Again, BingoSensFan is right on the money with his assessment of our farmhands.
He was telling us about Payer early in the season, and he's been everything he was touted to be.

I agree..he does seem a lot like Van Allen except he can skate better and he gets involved a lot more physically. The only reason he won't stay on the club is because Martin likes Van Allen and he is a little better defensively imo. Still, I'd much rather see Payer stay...he's impressed me.

ZombieMatt 02-22-2004 06:57 PM

I think Van Allen brings more to the Sens in the whole than Payer does at this point in his career. The Sens don't have a whole lot of guys over the age of 30, and while Van Allen may be a step or two slower than Payer, he has seen a lot more playoff action, and that is what matters right now.

In a year or two Van Allen will be gone, and Payer will be a more complete defensive player, and you'll start to see him every game on your roster.

Big McLargehuge 02-22-2004 10:30 PM

Payer really impressed me today, he seemed to be everywhere.

BingoSensFan 02-22-2004 11:30 PM

Thanks Voodoo. Does anyone know if Payer was signed through next year? I am unsure of his contract status. He's a good guy to have around. The kind of guy that will still be giving his all when the score is 8-1.

By the way, and not that it matters, but the announcers I've heard have been saying his name wrong. They've been pronouncing it PIE-AY, when it's really PAY-AY.

Don Draper 02-23-2004 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BingoSensFan
Thanks Voodoo. Does anyone know if Payer was signed through next year? I am unsure of his contract status. He's a good guy to have around. The kind of guy that will still be giving his all when the score is 8-1.

By the way, and not that it matters, but the announcers I've heard have been saying his name wrong. They've been pronouncing it PIE-AY, when it's really PAY-AY.

The actual pronounciation is Pie ay, if thats how you want to spell it. You are going to have to trust me on that one. I am 100% sure on that

V for Voodoo 02-23-2004 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountie
I think Van Allen brings more to the Sens in the whole than Payer does at this point in his career. The Sens don't have a whole lot of guys over the age of 30, and while Van Allen may be a step or two slower than Payer, he has seen a lot more playoff action, and that is what matters right now.

I agree. I wasn't suggesting that Payer should replace Van Allen immediately (although, i sincerely doubt it would make much of a difference), but that Payer will make a good 4th line center for us when Van Allen takes his leave.

The Mars Volchenkov 02-23-2004 12:29 PM

The 4th line of Vermette-Payer-Neil was great yesterday.

Ismellofhockey 02-24-2004 05:22 PM

Since Payer is francophone (I'm "going out on a limb" based on his first name Serge not being very characteristic of anglophone names) the proper pronounciation of his name would be the same as "Paillé": PAH-YAY.

lafite 02-24-2004 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountie

In a year or two Van Allen will be gone, and Payer will be a more complete defensive player, and you'll start to see him every game on your roster.

I agree. While I like what I've seen with Payer, if everybody comes back, the only way Van Allen loses his job is to Fisher. This late in the season, a rookie is not going to bump a veteran, in my opinion. Personally, VA might have lost a bit, but I don't think he is a liability by any means.