HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Hockey magazine Hab projections 2009, including 2008 in retrospect (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=547541)

ToysInTheAttic 08-30-2008 10:21 PM

Hockey magazine Hab projections 2009, including 2008 in retrospect

NHL Yearbook

2008- 4th NE, 11th EC FAIL
2009- 1st NE, 1st EC

The Hockey News Yearbook

2008- 13th EC FAIL
2009- 1st EC

The Score- Sports Forecaster

2008- 13th EC FAIL
2009- 4th EC

Hockey, the Magazine-Pooler's Guide

2008- 11th EC FAIL
2009- 2nd EC

Mckeen's Hockey Pool Yearbook

2008- 4th NE FAIL
2009- *Still waiting on this edition*

I swear to God, TSN's wheel spinning monkey(I think it's name is Maggie?) would have outdone all of these experts last year.

I believe the reason the Habs finished so well last year was due to 2 reasons. #1- Alex Kovalev. #2- Carey Price, Sergei Kostitsyn, Andrei Kostitsyn, and Ryan O'Byrne far outdoing the wildest projections.

I have to agree with this year's Habs projections. Book em.

PS: Carey Price is on the cover of the NHL Yearbook and The Hockey News Yearbook. Every mag speaks in glowing terms of his performance last year and his projection for this year.

GNick42 08-30-2008 10:23 PM

Things look good this year I must say...but I have learned from season's past all it takes is a key injury or two, a sophomore jinx to hit Price and we could tumble

One Man Rock Band 08-30-2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habhob (Post 15304668)
PS: Carey Price is on the cover of the NHL Yearbook and The Hockey News Yearbook. Every mag speaks in glowing terms of his performance last year and his projection for this year.

Every magazine speaks highly of Halak too..

ti-vite 08-30-2008 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GNick42 (Post 15304683)
Things look good this year I must say...but I have learned from season's past all it takes is a key injury or two, a sophomore jinx to hit Price and we could tumble

The lack of injury last season did help alot, hopefully it continues...

Habitant#1 08-30-2008 11:01 PM

Quote:

I believe the reason the Habs finished so well last year was due to 2 reasons. #1- Alex Kovalev. #2- Carey Price, Sergei Kostitsyn, Andrei Kostitsyn, and Ryan O'Byrne far outdoing the wildest projections.

While I agree that Sergei and O'Byrne did exceed expectations, I'd list Huet and Hamrlik's strong and consistant play ahead in terms of impact.

le_sean 08-30-2008 11:02 PM

Well what do you expect? Unproven young players, a ****** Kovalev, suspect defence. Of course they would have ranked the Habs that low.

ChemiseBleuHonnete 08-30-2008 11:15 PM

Carey Price became very underrated (at least here on hfboards) because of his bad playoff performance. During the regular season he was awesome and one of the best goalie in the league.

WeThreeKings 08-30-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchise player (Post 15305029)
Carey Price became very underrated (at least here on hfboards) because of his bad playoff performance. During the regular season he was awesome and one of the best goalie in the league.

It';s funny because if not for Price, we wouldn't have had a second round for him to be bad in.

Le Tricolore 08-30-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 15304956)
Well what do you expect? Unproven young players, a ****** Kovalev, suspect defence. Of course they would have ranked the Habs that low.

Yes, but in 06-07, the team missed the playoffs by one point, and then improved in the off-season and everyone thought they'd finish horribly. People weren't upset that the magazines didn't predict a NE division title, but the fact that every publication thought the Canadiens would finish way lower than the previous season.

HH 08-30-2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 15305094)
Yes, but in 06-07, the team missed the playoffs by one point, and then improved in the off-season and everyone thought they'd finish horribly. People weren't upset that the magazines didn't predict a NE division title, but the fact that every publication thought the Canadiens would finish way lower than the previous season.

I think what experts thought was that the loss of Souray would make our PP (our only offense that year) greatly suffer. Add to that the loss of veterans like Bonk and Johnson and replacing them by basically rookies was the reason. However, most of us here didn't think our PP would suffer and the addition of Hamrlik would stabilize our defense. The only wild card was the young players and they delivered.

Ross MacLochness 08-30-2008 11:44 PM

There were a whole bunch of reasons we had such a good year last year, IMO the big three being our health, Kovalev, and Price. Also, after years of complaining from me and several others around here, the Habs actually started playing to their strengths (Not that we had anything to do with it). When your forward lines contain names like Kovalev, Koivu, Kostitsyn x2, Plekanec, Higgins etc... why in the world would you have them play a conservative, sit-back-and-let-the-other-team-make-mistakes type of game? I thought this really hurt us in 06-07, we let other teams gain our blueline so easily it was almost comical. We finally started being a little more aggressive and playing a puck moving, puck control type game.

I can't predict 1st or 2nd, who knows what can happen. But looking around the rest of the Eastern Conference, no team really scares me all that much. We actually ended the curse of Brodeur, showed the Rangers no lead is safe, swept the Flyers and had a split with the Pens.

We could definitely be right back where we finished last year, but I just want to see the team play consistently and show up every night.

Le Tricolore 08-31-2008 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habitant#1 (Post 15304936)
While I agree that Sergei and O'Byrne did exceed expectations, I'd list Huet and Hamrlik's strong and consistant play ahead in terms of impact.

Hamrlik <3

He doesn't get enough love on these boards.

Kikizaz 08-31-2008 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 15306466)
Hamrlik <3

He doesn't get enough love on these boards.

Neither does my man, CH. <----- i heart his initials.

Christobal Huet!

Le Tricolore 08-31-2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikizaz (Post 15306542)
Neither does my man, CH. <----- i heart his initials.

Christobal Huet!

never heard of him.

Teufelsdreck 08-31-2008 08:46 AM

I'll go along with the commes except that Ryan O'Byrne's role was a bit exaggerated. However, I have high hopes for him and I expect him to become a real force in 2008-09. Good pick, Timmins.

YMCMBeaulieu 08-31-2008 08:49 AM

I wanted to buy a couple of these magazines but I really don't want to look at the Toskala cover's :rant:

AD 09-01-2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natey2k4 (Post 15304856)
Every magazine speaks highly of Halak too..

:facepalm:

King Kovalev 09-01-2008 04:36 PM

Just bought an issue of Hockey Le Magazine today. Can somebody please explain something to me? Why do year after year people always seem to put SJ in the SCF when year after year they always disappoint. :help:

Its the first time I buy this magazine and Ive got to say its pretty good overall, I like it better than THN

Rayne* 09-01-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

The Score- Sports Forecaster

2008- 13th EC FAIL
2009- 2nd EC

Weird. The Habs were placed 4th in The Score mag I got.

ToysInTheAttic 09-01-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayne (Post 15317768)
Weird. The Habs were placed 4th in The Score mag I got.

Yes, you're right. I've changed it.

Kriss E 09-01-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

I swear to God, TSN's wheel spinning monkey(I think it's name is Maggie?) would have outdone all of these experts last year.

In all honesty, not too many people would have predicted the Habs to finish far from these ''experts'' predictions last season.
Okay, maybe not 11th or 13th but pretty much everybody assumed they'd be fighting for the 8th seed.
So let's not be overly critical.

And the number one reason we finished first last year is our lack of injured players. Other than O'Byrne that fractured his thumb, who missed that many games during the season??..We got pretty lucky with that.
Kovalev is obviously the other main reason, who led the #1 PP team.

You also forget to mention Plekanec-Streit-Hamrlik-Jorges exceeded their expectations a lot.

We're coming in with a great team again, but everything has to go our way again if we want to be top seed again.

Nails Jenkins 09-01-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

PS: Carey Price is on the cover of the NHL Yearbook and The Hockey News Yearbook.

These magazines issue different covers for different regions. Price is on the Quebec cover, not across North America.

ToysInTheAttic 09-01-2008 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesomma (Post 15318789)
These magazines issue different covers for different regions. Price is on the Quebec cover, not across North America.

He is on both covers in New Brunswick.

Watsatheo 09-02-2008 09:17 AM

Mckeens had the Habs in the playoffs last season.

Tuggy 09-02-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchise player (Post 15305029)

It does seem like a strange thing to say but you are right. His numbers and his performance down the stretch were amongst the top in the league.