HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anyone have the McKeen's 2008-09 yet?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=548614)

Bugsy 09-04-2008 12:42 AM

Anyone have the McKeen's 2008-09 yet??
 
If so, how do they rate the Habs??
What are the point predictions of guys like Koivu, Kovalev, the K-Bros, etc.....

Thanks!!

:yoda:

Habs10Habs 09-04-2008 12:56 AM

I haven't picked it up yet, hopefully by the weekend. But I did pick up the 08/09 Score magazine. They have the Habs finishing 2nd in the North East Division.

Here are some point prediction for our players.

Kovalev - 73 pts
Tanguay - 66 pts
Plekanec - 66 pts
A.Kostitsyn - 61 pts
Higgins - 59 pts
S. Kostitsyn - 52 pts
Koivu - 51 pts
Chipchura - 27 pts
Lapierre - 24 pts
Latendresse - 17 pts.
Laraque - 14 pts

Markov - 60 pts
Hamrlik - 25 pts
Komisarek - 19 pts
O'Byrne - 14 pts

Price 59 gms 39 Wins 5 SO
Halak 30 gms 7 Wins 1 SO

les3couleurs 09-04-2008 01:34 AM

Picked it up, yesterday morning.

I'm not gonna give it all away, you should really buy it. Should be mandatory reading for all serious NHL fans. It has by far the best texts although their points predictions are not really better than other magazines in terms of how close the predictions are to the actual results. In fact THN and Sports Forecaster have a slight edge over the past two years. Although my analysis hasn't taken into account the actual points leaders rankings. I'll post about my work on assessing magazine point predictions in the future.

Top 5
Kovalev 77 pts
Tanguay 76
Plekanec 64
Kostitsyn A 63
Markov 63

Like all magazines I've bought (THN and Score), they have Latendresse pretty much stagnating at 34 pts.

1UP 09-04-2008 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 15342619)
I haven't picked it up yet, hopefully by the weekend. But I did pick up the 08/09 Score magazine. They have the Habs finishing 2nd in the North East Division.

Here are some point prediction for our players.

Kovalev - 73 pts
Tanguay - 66 pts
Plekanec - 66 pts
A.Kostitsyn - 61 pts
Higgins - 59 pts
S. Kostitsyn - 52 pts
Koivu - 51 pts
Chipchura - 27 pts
Lapierre - 24 pts
Latendresse - 17 pts.
Laraque - 14 pts

Markov - 60 pts
Hamrlik - 25 pts
Komisarek - 19 pts
O'Byrne - 14 pts

Price 59 gms 39 Wins 5 SO
Halak 30 gms 7 Wins 1 SO

So, we'll be 7-15-1 with Halak in nets, considering he has no incidence on the 7 games Price, who will have a 39-15-5 record, will get booted from (or maybe Halak will get kicked out of 7 games for sucking that much, games that Price will win!). Mmmh...

Doubtful.

MathMan 09-04-2008 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 15342619)
Tanguay - 66 pts

I'm kinda hoping for more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 15342619)
Latendresse - 17 pts.

Somehow, I doubt the guy who never scored less than 16 goals in the NHL will only get 17 points -- and get outscored by Lapierre and Chipchura to boot.

Marc the Habs Fan 09-04-2008 08:43 AM

Like I posted last night, I got it too and it's a must buy. They predict the Habs to be the best team in the East with 102 points but I find their offensive predictions of our best players to be a bit underwhelming.

Habs10Habs 09-04-2008 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP (Post 15343531)
So, we'll be 7-15-1 with Halak in nets, considering he has no incidence on the 7 games Price, who will have a 39-15-5 record, will get booted from (or maybe Halak will get kicked out of 7 games for sucking that much, games that Price will win!). Mmmh...

Doubtful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathMan (Post 15343749)
I'm kinda hoping for more.



Somehow, I doubt the guy who never scored less than 16 goals in the NHL will only get 17 points -- and get outscored by Lapierre and Chipchura to boot.

Oh I know, I didn't say they were perfect. I was only passing on the some of the info. As for Latendresse, if I remember correctly. They are claiming he will only play 38 games.

Fozz 09-04-2008 09:25 AM

Got my copy of McKeen's yesterday. Again, by far the best in regards to quality of player profiles. I don't remember all the predictions they seemed more logical than others I've seen so far.

Montrealer 09-04-2008 09:25 AM

I used to buy at least two (McKeen's and Score) but after 10 or so years I got tired of the crappy predictions (just about every player's prediction is +/- 10% of last season) and the articles while interesting didn't justify outlaying $10.

Predictions before the internet age used to be at least somewhat daring and interesting. Since the internet and the rapid criticism and long memory of readers it seems like the predictions are output by a simple computer application that applies the +/- 10% rule. The sole exception seems to be the goaltending predictions, which are all over the place anyway.

sampollock 09-04-2008 09:44 AM

who is on the cover????

did not see it yet/

Bugsy 09-04-2008 10:02 AM

This mags aren't giving Koivu too much credit........

Granted, last season he only got 56 points, but that was being saddled with the underwhelming Ryder for most of the season. And even though Higgins scored 27 goals, he should have had at least 35 if not for the slump he went through......

I firmly believe Koivu will score about 70 points this season with Tanguay on his wing!!

My own little points prediction:

Tanguay - 80 points
Kovalev - 77 points
A.Kostitsyn - 74 points
Koivu - 70 points
Plecanec - 68 points
Higgins - 60 points
S.Kostitsyn - 60 points
Latendresse - 58 points (YEP!! I think he'll ride shotgun with Koivu/Tanguay)


:yoda:

Marc the Habs Fan 09-04-2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sampollock (Post 15344105)
who is on the cover????

did not see it yet/

Lidstrom.

Papa_Bear_21 09-04-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montrealer (Post 15344007)
I used to buy at least two (McKeen's and Score) but after 10 or so years I got tired of the crappy predictions (just about every player's prediction is +/- 10% of last season) and the articles while interesting didn't justify outlaying $10.

Predictions before the internet age used to be at least somewhat daring and interesting. Since the internet and the rapid criticism and long memory of readers it seems like the predictions are output by a simple computer application that applies the +/- 10% rule. The sole exception seems to be the goaltending predictions, which are all over the place anyway.

I don't think anyone should really buy these magazines for the predictions. To be honest, it's hard to believe a lot of research (or thought) goes into them and even if they did, they are always hit or miss. I mean who would have thought that Marian Hossa would have less points and goals than Tomas Plekanec last year?

I personally buy a preview magazine for the profiles (and McKeen's is by far the best for that) and because it's an easy way to remind yourself of the potential breakout players and where the second and third level players are now playing.

otto bond 09-04-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 15343811)
Like I posted last night, I got it too and it's a must buy. They predict the Habs to be the best team in the East with 102 points but I find their offensive predictions of our best players to be a bit underwhelming.

The one mag I have left me in rage!:rant:
Always low balling the habs. At least we have the french media:sarcasm:

Maxpac 09-04-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 15342619)
I haven't picked it up yet, hopefully by the weekend. But I did pick up the 08/09 Score magazine. They have the Habs finishing 2nd in the North East Division.

Here are some point prediction for our players.

Kovalev - 73 pts
Tanguay - 66 pts
Plekanec - 66 pts
A.Kostitsyn - 61 pts
Higgins - 59 pts
S. Kostitsyn - 52 pts
Koivu - 51 pts
Chipchura - 27 pts
Lapierre - 24 pts
Latendresse - 17 pts.
Laraque - 14 pts

Markov - 60 pts
Hamrlik - 25 pts
Komisarek - 19 pts
O'Byrne - 14 pts

Price 59 gms 39 Wins 5 SO
Halak 30 gms 7 Wins 1 SO

man are those ever awfull predictioncs :shakehead

Koivu 51 points:shakehead
Latendresse 17 points when he scored 16 goals in each of his first 2 seasons and will most likelly get a more offensive role:shakehead
Halak 7 wins out of 30:shakehead
Higgins more points then Koivu:shakehead

cjbhab* 09-04-2008 02:02 PM

Price 59
Halak 30

Since when is there 89 games in the NHL schedule?

and 7 wins out of 30 for Halak.. My mom could get 8 wins.. What a stupid prediction.

Habs10Habs 09-04-2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 15345219)
man are those ever awfull predictioncs :shakehead

Koivu 51 points:shakehead
Latendresse 17 points when he scored 16 goals in each of his first 2 seasons and will most likelly get a more offensive role:shakehead
Halak 7 wins out of 30:shakehead
Higgins more points then Koivu:shakehead

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbhab (Post 15346309)
Price 59
Halak 30

Since when is there 89 games in the NHL schedule?

and 7 wins out of 30 for Halak.. My mom could get 8 wins.. What a stupid prediction.

I agree with both of you. But those were the predictions that Score magazine gave for this season. I wasn't only quoting what they wrote.

Taupy 09-04-2008 02:18 PM

Where can I find the McKeen mag by the way? I only see the Hockey News one, the Scores and Hockey le Magazine where I'm going.

Le depisteur 09-04-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbhab (Post 15346309)
Price 59
Halak 30

Since when is there 89 games in the NHL schedule?

and 7 wins out of 30 for Halak.. My mom could get 8 wins.. What a stupid prediction.

Montreal goalies played in 86 games last year... What is the problem?

2007-2008
Jaroslav Halak 6
Cristobal Huet 39
Carey Price 41

:shakehead

CH4 09-04-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbhab (Post 15346309)
Price 59
Halak 30

Since when is there 89 games in the NHL schedule?

and 7 wins out of 30 for Halak.. My mom could get 8 wins.. What a stupid prediction.

haha think about it for a second...

when a goalie is taken out a game, what happens?;)

Watsatheo 09-04-2008 03:44 PM

Did you guys pre-order or is it in news stands everywhere?

hab 4ever 09-04-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 15343811)
Like I posted last night, I got it too and it's a must buy. They predict the Habs to be the best team in the East with 102 points but I find their offensive predictions of our best players to be a bit underwhelming.

They are predicting 19 goals for Latendresse and I like their notes on him, it is a very balanced report. A few examples :

"Managed to duplicate his 16-goal rookie effort while making some strides in his consistency and defensive play, though not enough to earn much top-6 ice-time"
"underrated playmaker who boasts a hard, probing shot as well as slick puckhandling abilities"
"nimble for his weight, yet misses an explosive first-step burst as well as overall quickness"
"displayed a larger commitment to backchecking, but will need to take his work rate and skating to another level"...

Bulis hit 09-04-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HulKOMInia (Post 15346442)
Where can I find the McKeen mag by the way? I only see the Hockey News one, the Scores and Hockey le Magazine where I'm going.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watsatheo (Post 15347387)
Did you guys pre-order or is it in news stands everywhere?

I just bought it today. I love the prospects reports.

You can get it in newstands, but not everywhere.. If you live on the south shore, you can get one at metro longueuil.. Otherwise I don't quite know.. Probably have a good chance of getting it in english bookstores or la presse internationale maybe.

In the prospects report, there is a rating that is basically five balls that can be filled or half filled. 5 being a superstar, 2 being an average player(1 not being worth mentioning). With these rankings, they put Pietrangelo ahead of Drew Doughty. I like it. Cause I love Pietrangelo... Of course they don't mean everything... But I think it could happen. Pietrangelo was dominant in the playoffs before suffering a concussion.

hab 4ever 09-04-2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuehl habs (Post 15347727)
I just bought it today. I love the prospects reports.

You can get it in newstands, but not everywhere.. If you live on the south shore, you can get one at metro longueuil.. Otherwise I don't quite know.. Probably have a good chance of getting it in english bookstores or la presse internationale maybe.

In the prospects report, there is a rating that is basically five balls that can be filled or half filled. 5 being a superstar, 2 being an average player(1 not being worth mentioning). With these rankings, they put Pietrangelo ahead of Drew Doughty. I like it. Cause I love Pietrangelo... Of course they don't mean everything... But I think it could happen. Pietrangelo was dominant in the playoffs before suffering a concussion.


It is also at Archambault.

Le depisteur 09-04-2008 05:05 PM

McKeen's has the best player descriptions by far, in my opinion...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.