HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Skates for a 9 month old (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=549316)

Ola 09-06-2008 02:20 PM

Skates for a 9 month old
 
I got a problem finding skates for my kid.

He is a little young, born in May, but he walks a little already and I am gooing to be off from work with him after christmas -- so I thought id skate some with him.

But I can't find small skates for him anywhere, does anyone got any tips? Whats the smallest skates that are out there? His feets will be like 12 cm, or 4,7 inches.

deanosaur 09-06-2008 02:37 PM

Best bet is buying these, for now at least.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...key11/BOBS.jpg

NYRSinceBirth 09-06-2008 02:45 PM

Good god Ola, start 'em young eh? I agree with Dean, plus he's going to be growing a lot and these will accomodate that more than actual skates. I hope your kid takes well to it, good luck.

AHF 09-06-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola (Post 15366674)
I got a problem finding skates for my kid.

He is a little young, born in May, but he walks a little already and I am gooing to be off from work with him after christmas -- so I thought id skate some with him.

But I can't find small skates for him anywhere, does anyone got any tips? Whats the smallest skates that are out there? His feets will be like 12 cm, or 4,7 inches.

Patience, young grasshopper.

I mean, 9 months old? You said yourself that 'he walks a little'. Get him to master walking, and go from there.

You're a tad too eager, me thinks.

I started skating when I was four...

Moon Man* 09-06-2008 05:12 PM

Wowie Zowie!

Well, they're built to take a tumble at that age and all... but 9 freakin' months?

JFA87-66-99 09-06-2008 06:09 PM

My daughter was walking at 6 months and able to skate at 11 months. Not very well but she could keep her balance and move pretty good. She was just really coordinated from day 1 though. She never even crawled.

Crosbyfan 09-06-2008 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola (Post 15366674)
I got a problem finding skates for my kid.

He is a little young, born in May, but he walks a little already and I am gooing to be off from work with him after christmas -- so I thought id skate some with him.

But I can't find small skates for him anywhere, does anyone got any tips? Whats the smallest skates that are out there? His feets will be like 12 cm, or 4,7 inches.

Cute kid (assuming that's him in the avatar).

Let him walk on the ice and watch you skate.

stick9 09-07-2008 09:03 AM

I wouldn't sweat it, you have a good three years or so to find skates for the little guy. At that age even if he's walking, he won't understand your instructions. So putting him on skates is basically useless.

Ola 09-08-2008 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deangamblin (Post 15366823)
Best bet is buying these, for now at least.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...key11/BOBS.jpg

Thoose looks very interesting, do you know where I can get them? Or if they are called something special; i've tried to search the web but haven't found any?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 (Post 15368468)
My daughter was walking at 6 months and able to skate at 11 months. Not very well but she could keep her balance and move pretty good. She was just really coordinated from day 1 though. She never even crawled.

Where you able to find real skates that size?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth (Post 15366881)
Good god Ola, start 'em young eh? I agree with Dean, plus he's going to be growing a lot and these will accomodate that more than actual skates. I hope your kid takes well to it, good luck.

Haha, I am not about to put him in hard training. But we got a outside rink just outside the window and I thought I could take him there and play some -- maybe using a walking rein! ;)

Ola 09-08-2008 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosbyfan (Post 15369545)
Cute kid (assuming that's him in the avatar).

Let him walk on the ice and watch you skate.

Thanks allot!

I think he's the most beutyful kid in the world (I know I am a homer.. ;)).

deanosaur 09-08-2008 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola (Post 15380968)
Thoose looks very interesting, do you know where I can get them? Or if they are called something special; i've tried to search the web but haven't found any?

Here ya go. Actuallly I didn't know the specific name of them till just now :laugh: They're called Double Bladed skates.

http://www.sensationalbeginnings.com...asp?T1=R+2+888


Same ones, but for some reason these ones cost more. :dunnno:
http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Skates-Dou.../dp/B0000CE099

octopi 09-08-2008 08:01 AM

http://home.earthlink.net/~hdrum/Boo...ckeySkates.jpg

Surrounded By Ahos 09-08-2008 08:08 AM

Real boys learn how to skate before they learn how to walk!

Sadly I am not a real boy :(

El Wama 09-08-2008 08:12 AM

Nike-Bauer had this year in their new line, i think it's called Nike Bauer Vapor XI(i'll call my boss) who's smallest size is Youth 6. So if you want a hockey skate, you'll have to put her 3 pair of socks :sarcasm:

Heat McManus 09-08-2008 04:34 PM

Sometimes it's risky to put them on the ice before they can convey if they've hurt themselves.

MikeD 09-08-2008 05:26 PM

A small word of caution. Boys tend to lag behind the girls a bit in physical development. Talk to your pediatritian about the duration of time spent standing as well as what impact skating may have on the little guy. The weight of thier body on a possibly under developed body can have negative impact on the hips and knees.

mooseOAK* 09-08-2008 05:54 PM

www.futureobsessedhockeyparent.com

the_speedster 09-09-2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octopi (Post 15381021)

har har...

Greeneye 09-09-2008 10:38 AM

geez 9 mos old and you want him to skate? be sure to pick up a new S17 or one90 for him too.

at that age how in the world could you tell if he is even enjoying it?

Twist and Shout 09-09-2008 11:13 AM

Just let him watch you skate from the sidelines. 9 months is way too young.

Ola 09-09-2008 04:43 PM

Its no problem for a 9 month old to "skate" some. Its probably less strains then when walking if you keep the kid in a walking rain. And its allot more fun for a dad then walking around the kitchen table 5 hrs per day; to be able to take hit the ice when taking care of the kid anyway for like a couple of times during a winter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKiZO[X] (Post 15381060)
Nike-Bauer had this year in their new line, i think it's called Nike Bauer Vapor XI(i'll call my boss) who's smallest size is Youth 6. So if you want a hockey skate, you'll have to put her 3 pair of socks :sarcasm:

Is "youth 6" like the smallest scale (birth to 6 years)?

http://www.usatourist.com/english/ti...ens-Sizes.html

If its the same thats on this scale they would work fine this spring.

Greeneye 09-10-2008 12:22 PM

Dude, the kid is 9 mos old. Don't you think you are being a bit ridiculous?

Heat McManus 09-10-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola (Post 15395898)
Its no problem for a 9 month old to "skate" some. Its probably less strains then when walking if you keep the kid in a walking rain. And its allot more fun for a dad then walking around the kitchen table 5 hrs per day; to be able to take hit the ice when taking care of the kid anyway for like a couple of times during a winter.



Is "youth 6" like the smallest scale (birth to 6 years)?

http://www.usatourist.com/english/ti...ens-Sizes.html

If its the same thats on this scale they would work fine this spring.

youth 6 fits a 2-3 year old. It's a Vapor IX. Other than that, you're looking at bobcat skates..

MikeD 09-10-2008 05:44 PM

http://www.babyskates.com/baby-skates-story.php

looks like a very well made product that will actually stretch slightly for the growing foot.

looks like they fill in the missing smallest sizes. What surprises me is that these are made in the USA and not CANADA!

Ola 09-14-2008 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM47 (Post 15403489)
Dude, the kid is 9 mos old. Don't you think you are being a bit ridiculous?

Anyone know if Patrick O'Sullivans dad have written any memoaires?

:sarcasm:

Seriously though, he is defenitly to young -- for allot of things. Though I spend allot of time with my kid. I will take care of him fulltime fro January to June. Just like parents let their kid "walk" by holding them up from the arms when they are 3 month old, there will be no harm dooing the same thing but with skates on, when the kid is 9-10 month old -- and if he feels uncomfortable he will cry. But I doubt it. He like standing up and crawling more then anything now, and by Febuary-april he will surely walk by himself.

So you don't need to worry! ;)

I've also grown up playing hockey -- and knows that kids with pushing parents always are the best, when they are 12 y/o. Then by the time they are 15 they want nothing to do with hockey or any other sport. I won't lie and say that I would be as interested in his hobby no matter what he did -- I am a hockey nut and would defenitly like it if he played hockey. Its nothing I can do about that. But I also think I got pretty good perspective and distance on a issue like this. And yeah, its "crazy" to but skates for him when he is so young -- but if I know the kid correctly he will really enjoy playing with me on the ice. Even if he sits on his rear 99% of the time.

In the end, if you are worried I advice you to worry more about parents who don't spend time with their kids then thoose who do.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.