HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   KHL offers to have Radulov issue settled once and for all via third party arbitration (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=549324)

barrytrotzsneck 09-06-2008 02:56 PM

KHL offers to have Radulov issue settled once and for all via third party arbitration

Will stand by any decision the arbiter makes, even if it's said that he must play in the NHL.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2486...=headlines_nhl

No word on if the NHL will accept this proposal yet.

Stranger 09-06-2008 03:00 PM

Wow...

predhead1 09-06-2008 04:00 PM

At this stage in the game, it's almost a no win situation. If the arbitrator decides in favor of the KHL, we lose him. if the arbitrator decides otherwise, sure we get him back, but will he be welcomed by his teammates and coaches? There is a possibility he could be such a cancer in the locker room that he disrupts the entire season.

Moreover, since this has been announced, does this give Poile any pause before making any deals? At least on Sept. 1, he didn't have the Radulov distraction to keep him from pulling the trigger, but not it's one more variable for him.

Enoch 09-06-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predhead1 (Post 15367467)
At this stage in the game, it's almost a no win situation. If the arbitrator decides in favor of the KHL, we lose him. if the arbitrator decides otherwise, sure we get him back, but will he be welcomed by his teammates and coaches? There is a possibility he could be such a cancer in the locker room that he disrupts the entire season.

Moreover, since this has been announced, does this give Poile any pause before making any deals? At least on Sept. 1, he didn't have the Radulov distraction to keep him from pulling the trigger, but not it's one more variable for him.

I don't think Poile is going to make any deals anyways. Trotz has already said he is looking at the top two lines playing as this:

Erat - Arnott - Jones
Dumont - Legwand - Hornqvist

----

I think this is great news for Predator fans. I can't see how an arbiter would allow Radulov to play in another league. With that said, the KHL is clearly looking for that very ruling so they can snatch back a few players of their own.

I hope he does come back. I also hope that this situation is resolved either as a trade, or as a 3 year 8 million dollar extension/some type of mended bridge. This town can be forgiving, and Radulov back on this team puts us right back in the thick of the playoff race (as tough as it is to admit it...)

Paranoid Android 09-06-2008 06:30 PM

I don't really see how this is good for us or the league. No matter what an arbitrator says, Rad is still going to play in Russia. Not only that, but the IIHF no longer has our back in suspending Radulov from international play.

Good news for us would be the IIHF suspending Radulov and the KHL agreeing with them. Anything else is a slap in the face.

Enoch 09-06-2008 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predanerd (Post 15368648)
I don't really see how this is good for us or the league. No matter what an arbitrator says, Rad is still going to play in Russia. Not only that, but the IIHF no longer has our back in suspending Radulov from international play.

Good news for us would be the IIHF suspending Radulov and the KHL agreeing with them. Anything else is a slap in the face.

IF the NHL agreed to take this to a third party arbiter, THEN all leagues/parties would have to respect the ruling. This wouldn't be a case of the IIHF not backing us, etc. It would be a situation where the arbiter ruled against the NHL .... a risk they would knowingly accept heading into the case.

Juneemoon 09-06-2008 07:30 PM

Daly told them all to screw off basically...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...HLKHL-war.html

As a result, Radulov will no longer be suspended from IIHF competition, which means he will be able to participate in the lucrative, IIHF-sponsored Champions League in Europe until his case is decided.

Enoch 09-06-2008 07:59 PM

Hmmm...maybe your right predanerd. From that article: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...HLKHL-war.html

The NHL was decidedly unimpressed with the result of a meeting Saturday involving the KHL and the International Ice Hockey Federation that resulted in the KHL dropping its opposition to the NHL signings of Russian players Nikita Filatov and Viktor Tikhonov and conceding to put the Radulov matter before the courts or an arbitrator.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in the Radulov case, the IIHF, “lacked the courage and conviction to do what’s right,” by not ordering Radulov to fulfill the final year of his contract with the Nashville Predators. Despite still being under contract to the Predators, Radulov signed a three-year deal worth $13 million with Salavat Ufa of the KHL and has already appeared in several games.

“The facts couldn't be more clear,” Daly said in an email to thn.com. “But instead of revealing what (the IIHF’s) investigation actually found – which is that Radulov is under contract to Nashville and should be playing there this season - they pulled the chute and took the easy way out. Very, very disappointing. Its seems that the KHL is making decisions for the IIHF these days.”

Daly is undoubtedly eluding to the fact that Medvedev was recently elected to the executive board of the IIHF in addition to his role as KHL president.

And even though Medvedev said in an interview with thn.com that the KHL would respect the ruling of an independent arbitrator in the Radulov case, Daly said he has no reason to believe that’s the case.

“We're happy to submit the Radulov matter to binding arbitration, but I sincerely doubt we would ever get the agreement of the KHL or Ufa to do so,” Daly said. “They have no case to present, and no justification whatsoever for their lawless actions.”

So much for the thawing of relations between the KHL and NHL, which seemed to be the objective when the KHL met with the IIHF in Zurich on Saturday. The NHL refused to participate in the meeting, but both the KHL and IIHF emerged from the meeting hopeful it would result in better relations between the Russian League and the NHL.

braindead 09-07-2008 08:36 AM

I would much, much rather him stay suspended until he wants to come back to the nhl. The league has made it clear that he both owes the last year of his contract AND will have made no more progress toward UFA. If he came back and gave one year and then went over there, the clock would keep ticking on his UFA status. Every year that he was gone would make him less valuable to us. My belief is that sooner or later he will want to come back to this league where he can both make more money and play against better competition.... and, once he's a billionaire, eat at Applebee's every night.:)

Den 09-07-2008 05:10 PM

It will be a Rus court, no 3d party,according to Medvedev in today's Sport-Express

Den 09-07-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in the Radulov case, the IIHF, “lacked the courage and conviction to do what’s right,” by not ordering Radulov to fulfill the final year of his contract with the Nashville Predators
I have no idea how Daly expects the IIHF to enforce this :amazed:

worstfaceoffmanever 09-07-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Den (Post 15376253)
It will be a Rus court, no 3d party,according to Medvedev in today's Sport-Express

And therein lies the reason why Daly refused...

Den 09-07-2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 15376503)
And therein lies the reason why Daly refused...

Well, he actually "refuses" before a clarification is made, right? He goes "I sincerely doubt Ufa will agree to an independent arbitrator". He does not really refuse, just says the IIHF didn't do their job.

jstreet 09-07-2008 10:36 PM

If we lost it would set a really bad precedent

Dave is a killer 09-08-2008 10:17 AM

this about sums it up for me

:whatever:

Stranger 09-08-2008 12:33 PM

To me, this isn't an olive branch and is only being done to get Radulov playing in the other competitions.

They know that the NHL won't agree to an arbitrator in Russia.

echlfreak 09-08-2008 05:35 PM

If the arb. rules in favor of Nashville, then I am willing to put money on it that he is dealt within 1 week of the decision for a non-cancerous top six forward!

Paranoid Android 09-08-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echlfreak (Post 15385677)
If the arb. rules in favor of Nashville, then I am willing to put money on it that he is dealt within 1 week of the decision for a non-cancerous top six forward!

I'll take that bet

IMO, we'd be lucky to get a bottom six forward for him. But he's not coming back anyway, so it doesn't matter.

The only thing anyone can "make" Radulov do is ban him from IIHF events. The IIHF is not doing this, so we lost. Game over. KHL - 1, NHL - 0. Unless, of course, the IIHF changes their minds, but I don't see this happening.

At this point, no one really knows what an arbitrator can and can not do. But I think most of us have the wrong idea. My logic is, why would Medvedev be so willing to settle this with a 3rd party? Why is the NHL unhappy with how this is turning out? Because Medvedev knows he will win. There's something else to this story that we don't know.

veronesepk 09-11-2008 08:12 AM

Paul Kelly, head of the NHLPA, was on the Bill Watters radio show Wednesday night and believes Radulov wants to come back to the NHL and is looking for an opportunity:

http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/1339/1/

Arbitration may be such an opportunity, but what do Preds fans do? Welcome him back? This summer has sucked, but I would hope so, he's a young kid who got homesick. He hasn't missed an NHL game or pre-season game yet, and he's probably in much better shape than he normally is. Plus, all of this ends up being a bargaining chip when it comes time to re-sign him.

One vote in for forgiveness.

BigFatCat999 09-11-2008 08:27 AM

I vote to ship his ass to the team who's willing to give the most draft picks.

Stranger 09-11-2008 08:37 AM

If Radulov comes back, says he made a mistake, and gives it his all for the team, he'll be welcomed back by the fans (well not the hard headed ones) and team. We'll need his offense.

quartermaster29 09-11-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 15412191)
If Radulov comes back, says he made a mistake, and gives it his all for the team, he'll be welcomed back by the fans (well not the hard headed ones) and team. We'll need his offense.

Every word of this is true. It is all about how he returns. Many of the fans who are angry with him will change their tune (or at least stop singing) when he gets his first multi-point game.

triggrman 09-11-2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 15412191)

I agree.

Also, we have no idea what these other "reasons" or circumstances were.

Many of man have done foolish things when it involved young love, we've all been there.

pred33fan 09-11-2008 11:00 AM

Count me in as one of the hard headed fans. I will never forgive him.

TheGooooch 09-11-2008 11:04 AM

Looks like he wants to come back.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy