HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Laraque Endorses Stortini's Approach (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=549554)

Joe Malone 09-07-2008 04:18 PM

Laraque Endorses Stortini's Approach
 
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...c-20aa1ed2ae38

"If you fight a guy who's stronger than you, why would you want to go toe-to-toe and get killed?" said Laraque, the former Edmonton Oilers beat cop, who'll now be looking out for Saku Koivu and Alex Kovalev with the Montreal Canadiens. "When I fight Boogaard, I'm not standing back and throwing punches. I mean, his reach is like a mile long. Even though I'm six-foot-three and I have a reputation, I'm coming inside on him. You don't fight for the people ... if Zack wants to go in and hug, that's smart, because Boogaard's reach is so big.

Lord Horse 09-07-2008 04:32 PM

Not sure what the point is here OP? Praise? Disdain?

Stortini is a good 4th line pugilist, I don't think Laraque's comments are anything anyone who's been in a fistfight wouldn't say.

Fire Brunet* 09-07-2008 04:39 PM

Latendresse :shakehead

Next Best Thing* 09-07-2008 05:01 PM

He's sayin': it's ok to be a *****.

Thats fine, BGL must be getting old.

Gramps.

Whitesnake 09-07-2008 05:15 PM

He's just saying that it's OK to be intelligent....Is that wrong? Why would Stortini go head to head against the best when he's actually not? Why would even Laraque stay in reach of Boogaard when he himself can't reach him? Does fighters have to be stupid?

Somebody needs to email that article to Lajoie and see what he does with it tomorrow....There has to be a way to bash BGL with no reason once again....

Joe Malone 09-07-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwoar (Post 15375407)
Not sure what the point is here OP? Praise? Disdain?

Stortini is a good 4th line pugilist, I don't think Laraque's comments are anything anyone who's been in a fistfight wouldn't say.

No point except it's something to read....a few quotes. Chara's the toughest dude in the league. How's that for a point?

Lord Horse 09-07-2008 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Next Best Thing (Post 15375657)
He's sayin': it's ok to be a *****.

Thats fine, BGL must be getting old.

Gramps.

A bigger guy with big reach will crush you unless you GO INSIDE him and pick your spot.

chairmanmeow 09-07-2008 06:41 PM

stortini just cant fight worth ****, he couldn't go toe to toe with lats

Chfan 09-07-2008 06:53 PM

There's isn't anything wrong or right with what he said. There isn't much to be discussed.

CanadienErrant* 09-07-2008 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Malone (Post 15375301)
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...c-20aa1ed2ae38

"If you fight a guy who's stronger than you, why would you want to go toe-to-toe and get killed?" said Laraque, the former Edmonton Oilers beat cop, who'll now be looking out for Saku Koivu and Alex Kovalev with the Montreal Canadiens. "When I fight Boogaard, I'm not standing back and throwing punches. I mean, his reach is like a mile long. Even though I'm six-foot-three and I have a reputation, I'm coming inside on him. You don't fight for the people ... if Zack wants to go in and hug, that's smart, because Boogaard's reach is so big.

So why BGL is fighting Chara then ?

1UP 09-07-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadienErrant (Post 15377409)
So why BGL is fighting Chara then ?

He's taking him out of the game for 5 minute, which is huge for his team.

Maxpac 09-08-2008 06:30 PM

:whatever:

Mad Habber 09-09-2008 10:32 AM

Shayne Corson and before him, Chris Nilan were most effective fighting opponents when they'd clutched and grab and let the opponent tire himself out trying to get loose. After the opponent was too tired to fight, they'd just punch him a few times and win the fight. Remember the Corson and Tie Domi fight. Domi was most effective going around in circles and trying to throw haymakers. Corson just tied him up, then beat him after. The next summer, Corson signed with Toronto and during an interview, said he wasn't there to take Tie's job away when some reporter suggested it.

You have to go with what works for you. And often it depends on the opponent.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.