HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Ortmeyer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=549924)

handtrick 09-08-2008 08:47 PM

Ortmeyer

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennessean 9-8-08

Ortmeyer slowed: Forward Jed Ortmeyer is also hoping to be ready for the start of training camp but still is dealing with knee pain and also the possibility of more blood-clot problems.

Ortmeyer had surgery last March after tearing an ACL, the second time that had happened in his career. He had difficulties earlier in his career with blood clots and might have to go on blood-thinning medication soon.

"I want to meet with the doctors and see if everything is OK,'' Ortmeyer said. "I've got some doctors' appointments this week and I'm meeting with the new team doctor, so we'll see how everything goes.''

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....809080333/1028

I hope this hasn't been discussed elsewhere, but noticed in the rag today that Ortmeyer appears [although not confirmed] to be having "blood clot issues" again in the rehab of his ACL reconstructed knee over the summer.
He has had blood clot issues before, so has a predisposition to them.
If found to have a blood clot, he will need to be on blood thinners for usually 3-6 months, and can't play contact sports during that time.
This would most assuredly open up a opening day roster spot for Pihlstrom, in my opinion.

Boy....Ortmeyer has been a weak 2 yr pick up, and Bonk too, for that matter.

predfan24 09-08-2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick (Post 15387637)
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....809080333/1028

I hope this hasn't been discussed elsewhere, but noticed in the rag today that Ortmeyer appears [although not confirmed] to be having "blood clot issues" again in the rehab of his ACL reconstructed knee over the summer.
He has had blood clot issues before, so has a predisposition to them.
If found to have a blood clot, he will need to be on blood thinners for usually 3-6 months, and can't play contact sports during that time.
This would most assuredly open up a opening day roster spot for Pihlstrom, in my opinion.

Boy....Ortmeyer has been a weak 2 yr pick up, and Bonk too, for that matter.

Hope all goes well for him. That being said he is the worst hockey player on this team. I seem to recall ranger fans loving this guy. Not really sure why that was the case. I still think Bonk can be useful and turn it around. Ortmeyer on the other hand was just a terrible signing.

Enoch 09-08-2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predfan24 (Post 15387762)
Hope all goes well for him. That being said he is the worst hockey player on this team. I seem to recall ranger fans loving this guy. Not really sure why that was the case. I still think Bonk can be useful and turn it around. Ortmeyer on the other hand was just a terrible signing.

Agreed. 750k a year for a player that really is a third liner on an AHL team....

As Handtrick said, Pihlstrom should get this spot.

hsvhockey 09-09-2008 11:23 AM

I'm both a Ranger and Preds fan. Loved him with the Rags, but truth is he's never looked the same since he missed the time there with the clot in his lungs. He always had hands of stone, but he used to be a great defensive player and pk'er. That said, even if he were 100%, he's more of what we've got too much of anyway.

pld459666 09-11-2008 09:53 PM

With regardsto Orts, this kid was all hustle. never going to score 10 goals in a season, even by mistake, but the kid is a never ending never tiring worker out on the ice.

Blocks shots with reckless abandon, plays a positionally sound defensive game.

If he could fight even a little, he'd be the perfect 4th liner.

I agree with the guy who said he was never the same after his medical issues here in NY the first time.

Sorry you weren't able to see him before that.

nine_inch_fang 09-11-2008 11:05 PM

We have 5 others just like him.

braindead 09-12-2008 12:40 AM

... and at least 4 of them are better than him.

worstfaceoffmanever 09-12-2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braindead (Post 15421464)
... and at least 4 of them are better than him.

Nichol
Smithson
Fiddler
Peverley
Bonk

Which one is worse?

braindead 09-12-2008 07:41 AM

I said "at least" only because you can argue that Peverly hasn't been seen enough at this level to say with certainty that he is better. I clearly think that he is.

handtrick 09-15-2008 08:27 PM

Per the fishwrap:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs..../1027/SPORTS01

With "recurrent" blood clots, don't be surprised if Ortmeyer never returns to competitive hockey.
There is a chance he will need to be on blood thinners "for life" which would preclude him from contact sports.
Not saying this is an "absolute," but certainly not out of the realm of significant possibility.

Calling Martin Gelinas.....you still interested?????

Paranoid Android 09-15-2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick (Post 15457573)
Per the fishwrap:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs..../1027/SPORTS01

With "recurrent" blood clots, don't be surprised if Ortmeyer never returns to competitive hockey.
There is a chance he will need to be on blood thinners "for life" which would preclude him from contact sports.
Not saying this is an "absolute," but certainly not out of the realm of significant possibility.

Calling Martin Gelinas.....you still interested?????

Didn't they say the same thing about Vokoun? That he may never play again? I mean, I'm not about to get into a medical discussion with our forum Doctor, but just an observation.

Very unfortunate situation. I don't think Nashville ever got to see the real Ortmeyer as he was always in Trotz's doghouse. This kid has more heart than anyone on our team, too bad not enough talent to keep him on the roster. Hopefully this all works out good for him.

D713B 09-15-2008 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 15388140)
Agreed. 750k a year for a player that really is a third liner on an AHL team....

As Handtrick said, Pihlstrom should get this spot.

He was a 3rd/4th liner on an NHL playoff team.

That said he was all hustle/heart and no skill which is what made him a fan favorite. It's a shame you Pred fans never got to see a healthy Ortmeyer.

Seth Lake 09-16-2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predanerd (Post 15459601)
Didn't they say the same thing about Vokoun? That he may never play again? I mean, I'm not about to get into a medical discussion with our forum Doctor, but just an observation.

The difference is that for Vokoun it was the first time his "clot(s)" were diagnosed. For Ortmeyer, this is a reoccurance as he was diagnosed about two years ago with clots in his lung while he was with New York.

Therefore, there is a higher probability that Jed will have to remain on blood thinners for the rest of his life. Which would effectively remove any possibility of him playing contact sports again.

handtrick 09-16-2008 07:07 AM

Plus, Vokoun's proved to be old scar tissue and not an active blood clot.