HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Tor / Wsh (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=550236)

macdonald13 09-09-2008 07:42 PM

Tor / Wsh
 
To Toronto :
Eric Fehr
Semon Varlamov
Josh Godfrey



To Washington :

Justin Pogge
Nik Antropov
3rd in 09
5th in "10


Toronto gets 3 young players at all 3 major postions ..

Washington gets a big body forward with a offencive touch ... a good goaltending prospect .. and picks

brs03 09-09-2008 07:43 PM

The Caps aren't going to trade Varlamov, even if it's Pogge coming back.

cantwell7 09-09-2008 07:45 PM

I actully dont know what to say to this ...

Drake1588 09-09-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantwell7 (Post 15397167)
I actully dont know what to say to this ...

I'll take a stab at this then. This trade is impossible to absorb under the Capitals' currently razor-thin salary cap situation. The team cannot take on more salary than it sends out in any trade right now. Fehr's salary is $735K. Antropov is making $2.05M.

cantwell7 09-09-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588 (Post 15397375)
I'll take a stab at this then. This trade is impossible to absorb under the Capitals' currently razor-thin salary cap situation. The team cannot take on more salary than it sends out in any trade right now. Fehr's salary is $735K. Antropov is making $2.05M.

haha thanks ..

Moses Doughty 09-09-2008 08:55 PM

Close to fair though but WSH cap trouble makes it hard for most trades to occur with them

The Big Swede 09-09-2008 11:43 PM

Its an actually pretty decent trade but I still think Toronto refuses this

Drake1588 09-10-2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownking (Post 15397888)
Close to fair though but WSH cap trouble makes it hard for most trades to occur with them

Washington is also pretty happy with the team that it has, as is. It's not a team really looking to make moves at this time.

HockeyThoughts 09-10-2008 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588 (Post 15399793)
Washington is also pretty happy with the team that it has, as is. It's not a team really looking to make moves at this time.

This improves the Caps in the short term, but I think we hold onto Varmalov over Pogge. Washington is also a team looking to win now, receiving random late picks really does them no good.

Fehr < Antropov
Varmalov > Pogge
Godfrey = 3rd & 5th

The value is there, but it just does not make sense for either team really to do this.

Drake1588 09-10-2008 12:45 AM

I'm not even sure that much is true. The Caps need another scoring-line center like a hole in the head. Whatever positions Antropov can play, center is his strength. Fehr has always been a RW and that is where the Caps want him developing into one of their top-two at the position for years to come.

The team's pretty happy as currently constituted, and the Caps still consider Fehr to be part of the long-term plan. That can change, but right now... the motivation just isn't there to deal him.

It's not even worth discussing the goaltending swap. The Caps remain high on Varlamov, who has been great except for one televised tourney where a Canadian junior all-star team took pot shots on him all game long.

jmor 09-10-2008 12:57 AM

i'm not to sure that wash would want to give up godfrey, he'll be an important piece of their future PP with alzner, green and lepisto (sp?)

plus pogge has apparenlty come to a stall in his development, putting up mediocre numbers on a solid marlies team (not to mention they went with clemenson over him come playoff time)

no from a wash perspective, although it does help them in the short term

not to mention it puts the caps over the cap limit

GossomeRwing 09-10-2008 08:49 AM

I think the Caps still need to tinker with the line-up.
They need a legitimate top 6 right-wing and a top line D-man IMO

I don't think Toronto makes for a good trading partner for the Caps

I am hoping that the Caps are NOT happy with their current line-up and are still looking for the real deal.

I would have to say landing the D-Man is the most important move.

Biscuit Bullet 09-10-2008 09:20 AM

At this point, the Caps just aren't a good team to trade with at all. Doesn't really matter who the team is, unless you're overpaying for a guy like Kozlov. Even then, I'm not so sure Mcphee would want to risk disrupting the team chemistry.

EroCaps 09-10-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjun (Post 15399974)
This improves the Caps in the short term, but I think we hold onto Varmalov over Pogge. Washington is also a team looking to win now, receiving random late picks really does them no good.

Fehr < Antropov
Varmalov > Pogge
Godfrey = 3rd & 5th

The value is there, but it just does not make sense for either team really to do this.

Godfrey>3rd and a 5th.

Drake1588 09-10-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GossomeRwing (Post 15401251)
I think the Caps still need to tinker with the line-up.
They need a legitimate top 6 right-wing and a top line D-man IMO

I don't think Toronto makes for a good trading partner for the Caps

I am hoping that the Caps are NOT happy with their current line-up and are still looking for the real deal.

I would have to say landing the D-Man is the most important move.

Under the salary cap, they're not getting either of those pieces. Not this year.

Jimmi Jenkins 09-10-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EroCaps (Post 15401478)
Godfrey>3rd and a 5th.

:laugh::laugh:

No that's not the case

This deal makes little sense for the Caps.

Why not, Godfrey for Pogge, two guys who won't be NHLers traded for eached?

John-Eric Iannicello 09-10-2008 10:09 AM

No from a Leaf POV. Not a huge fan of the players coming back to the Leafs.

brs03 09-10-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 15401574)
:laugh::laugh:

No that's not the case

This deal makes little sense for the Caps.

Why not, Godfrey for Pogge, two guys who won't be NHLers traded for eached?

What makes you think Godfrey won't be an NHLer? He's looking good so far.

txpd 09-10-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GossomeRwing (Post 15401251)
I think the Caps still need to tinker with the line-up.
They need a legitimate top 6 right-wing and a top line D-man IMO

I don't think Toronto makes for a good trading partner for the Caps

I am hoping that the Caps are NOT happy with their current line-up and are still looking for the real deal.

I would have to say landing the D-Man is the most important move.

The only way the Capitals are going to be getting a legit top 6 RW and/or a top pair defenseman with Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, and Semin already on the roster is by drafting and developing that player. Period.

I would also suggest to you that they have their top pair for the next ten years already, Green and Alzner.

With Clark, who has proven to be a reliable 20-30 goal scorer and Kolzov for now and 4 or 5 worthwhile prospects in the system, the RW thing is not that big of an issue. Particularly when LW and Center are downright stacked.

Like the others have said. The Caps are not good trading partners before the trade deadline at the earliest

txpd 09-10-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 15401574)
:laugh::laugh:

No that's not the case

This deal makes little sense for the Caps.

Why not, Godfrey for Pogge, two guys who won't be NHLers traded for eached?

I am hoping he meant that regards this coming season. Godfrey is a likely NHL'er.
Whether he developes into a legit top 4 D or is a power play specialist, with a 100mph/accurate slap shot somebody is going to find room for him.

I watched him play a preseason game vs Carolina last season. When Alzner and Godfrey were on the ice the Canes had Staal, Williams, and Stillman out against them. They looked like 18 year olds against the first line of a Stanley Cup champion but they held their own.

Jimmi Jenkins 09-10-2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 15402883)
I am hoping he meant that regards this coming season. Godfrey is a likely NHL'er.
Whether he developes into a legit top 4 D or is a power play specialist, with a 100mph/accurate slap shot somebody is going to find room for him.

I watched him play a preseason game vs Carolina last season. When Alzner and Godfrey were on the ice the Canes had Staal, Williams, and Stillman out against them. They looked like 18 year olds against the first line of a Stanley Cup champion but they held their own.

A big shot does not an NHLer make. You need other actually skills and hockey sense, which Godfrey is devoid of. His size and shot made him a big deal in Junior, I don't see him ever making the transition to the pros, because he lacks hockey sense.

Jimmi Jenkins 09-10-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brs03 (Post 15401802)
What makes you think Godfrey won't be an NHLer? He's looking good so far.

The fact that he is devoid of hockey sense, and he can't get around that in the NHL like he did in junior.

brs03 09-10-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 15403020)
A big shot does not an NHLer make. You need other actually skills and hockey sense, which Godfrey is devoid of. His size and shot made him a big deal in Junior, I don't see him ever making the transition to the pros, because he lacks hockey sense.

Since when? His defensive woes are so overblown it's not even funny. Hartsburg had a big impact on him this past year, and he should be proving it this year in Hershey.

Jimmi Jenkins 09-10-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brs03 (Post 15403042)
Since when? His defensive woes are so overblown it's not even funny. Hartsburg had a big impact on him this past year, and he should be proving it this year in Hershey.

Since watching him play. The kid has physically tools, but lacks hockey sense and smarts which causes his decision making to be poor. You can't really train that into a player, he either has it or he doesn't and Godfrey doesn't. Big physical tools in juniors can mask that, but it can't in the pros.

CapGoodie 09-10-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 15403130)
Since watching him play. The kid has physically tools, but lacks hockey sense and smarts which causes his decision making to be poor. You can't really train that into a player, he either has it or he doesn't and Godfrey doesn't. Big physical tools in juniors can mask that, but it can't in the pros.

I'm curious, when did you see him play? For most people the only opportunity was the WJC where his performance really doesn't jive with what you've said about him. He was told he had to show the defesnive instincts if he was to make that team and he earned his spot on those merits.

You made reference to his dominating junior without hockey sense etc so I'm just curious where/when you had the opportunity to see him play in SSM. He made some great strides this past season, his defensive game was leaps and bounds better than it had been and his quickness, as well as his committment to defensive coverage by the end of the season was earning him praise. I just don't see where your opinion grew out of other than perhaps the very first scouting reports on the kid the day he was drafted as a somewhat under the radar player.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.