HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   we all have our players (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=55064)

billsandsabres 02-23-2004 10:48 PM

we all have our players
 
ive come to notice that everybody on this board has their own sabre who they will defend to their grave, and its really funny to keep track of all the posters and their player

i would have to say i am an admitted satan protector, i just seem to always make excuses for him or respond to negative comments about him

come on all you buffalo fans, fess up, which sabre do you play guardian angel for?

lecherous 02-23-2004 11:20 PM

Hecht, but I don't usually need to do much covering for him unless he's injured. To a lesser degree I protect Tallinder and Afinogenov, when the rumors are flying around to trade them. I just don't want to see them go.

Ruckus007 02-23-2004 11:40 PM

I'd say Drury, Satan and Mair and maybe Tallinder to a lesser extent are they guys I'll cover a bit for.


On the flip side, we all have those players that no matter how well they do it's just not enough to please us. Mine are Biron and Afinogenov.

Kruschiki 02-24-2004 06:43 AM

Connolly, though I haven't had cause to defend him since joining this board. I also have defended Ruff to great lengths, even when it was probably a good time to make a coaching change.

Kruschiki 02-24-2004 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus007
On the flip side, we all have those players that no matter how well they do it's just not enough to please us. Mine are Biron and Afinogenov.

Biron, definatly. Mair to some extent as there were times he took way too many trips to the box.

TehDoak 02-24-2004 07:48 AM

I'm a Drury man for sure, and Pyatt as well. As far as goalies go, Miller IS the future.

Digable5 02-24-2004 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billsandsabres
ive come to notice that everybody on this board has their own sabre who they will defend to their grave, and its really funny to keep track of all the posters and their player

i would have to say i am an admitted satan protector, i just seem to always make excuses for him or respond to negative comments about him

come on all you buffalo fans, fess up, which sabre do you play guardian angel for?

I am a new contributor to the boards but a long time reader. I know when I was reading that I always got upset when people talked about Tallinder negatively. He has developed a little slower than hoped, but he is starting to come into his own and would benefit from a better partner. Kind of like how Kalinin has developed with Zhitnik.

By the way, good topic!

Tracy 02-24-2004 07:55 AM

Kalinin - Hecht - Briere (havn't needed any defending thus far)
Zhitnik (sadly under-appreciated)
Drury (can't stand when someone suggests trading him)
Kotalik (what a shot this guy's got!)
Satan (when he's hot, he's sooo hot!)

and to a lesser extent:
Afinogenov (you never know how good he may turn out to be!)
Dumont (he's always grimacing, still can't tell if he's for real)

I used to defend Brown because of his role in shutting down the other team's top players, but he really seems to have disappeared these last couple of months.

Mr Brownstone 02-24-2004 08:06 AM

Mair, Briere, Hecht, Kalinin.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 02-24-2004 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billsandsabres
ive come to notice that everybody on this board has their own sabre who they will defend to their grave, and its really funny to keep track of all the posters and their player

i would have to say i am an admitted satan protector, i just seem to always make excuses for him or respond to negative comments about him

come on all you buffalo fans, fess up, which sabre do you play guardian angel for?

I don't defend specific players per se. I will come to the defense of any player or coach who is attacked for absolutely stupid reasons.

I've come to the defense of Biron, even though I think he's our #3 goaltender long term. People were attacking him and Ruff for Noronen's lack of consecutive starts. The facts of the time were that Biron had actually outperformed Noronen in back to back games and faced tougher teams.

I've come to the defense of Corsi, who some suggested should be fired after a couple of months on the job. Yeah, like a couple of months make sense to judge anybody's job performance. And where are the people who want Corsi gone now, when the Sabres team save percentage (ignoring Miller's three games) would be 8th. Everyone was fawning over Allaire earlier. Yet, Noronen has outperformed Gerber and Biron has outperformed Giguere.

Now the whipping boy of the moment seems to be Pyatt, simply because he isn't Bertuzzi. Ironically, the same people who attack Pyatt for "softness" and "lack of scoring ability" are the biggest defenders of Afinogenov, who is softer and scores at about the same rate.

I've also come to the defense of Connolly, in particular when comparing to Afinogenov. Connolly is better defensively than Afinogenov, as shown by his playing more PK minutes in a week than Afinogenov has played in his career. His scoring has been about identical to Afinogenov's too. Both are soft perimeter players. Connolly is 2 years younger. For now the and the future (pre-injury, of course), Connolly was better. I had people accusing me of being Connolly's boyfriend. The truth is, I don't even like him as a player. I like Varada type players. But I hate irrational attacks on players even worse.

I have also been steadfast in my support of Ruff. I am so sick of the "Ruff has lost the lockerroom" argument, which is invariably used prior to a Sabres 4 game winning streak. Coaches don't suddenly get dumb, and Ruff got us to the Cup.

joechip 02-24-2004 10:39 AM

Me?

I'm a Z-man, personally. I don't post as often as I scream at my monitor (those in my laboratory think I'm nuts, and with good reason), but I'll shed a tear if Zhitnik ever plays for another team. In our house all guys who wear #44 are Zhitnik.

To a lesser extent I'm irrational about Satan, CuBro, and McKee... mostly for their contributions during the 99 cup run. Of the kids Kalinin and Kotalik are my faves.

The guy who will never make me truly happy is Dumont.

Ta,

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 02-24-2004 02:01 PM

Even now? I can understand why Dumont would never make anyone happy until November of this year. Since then, he's changed his game around.

If the standard is who you'd shed a tear for if they played elsewhere....Lafontaine, Peca, Varada and Z.

JOHNBOY 02-24-2004 02:12 PM

I am a Andrew Peter's fan :bow: . I haven't seen him in one proposal so far though.

Fan-of-#9 02-24-2004 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
I don't defend specific players per se. I will come to the defense of any player or coach who is attacked for absolutely stupid reasons.

I've come to the defense of Biron, even though I think he's our #3 goaltender long term. People were attacking him and Ruff for Noronen's lack of consecutive starts. The facts of the time were that Biron had actually outperformed Noronen in back to back games and faced tougher teams.

I've come to the defense of Corsi, who some suggested should be fired after a couple of months on the job. Yeah, like a couple of months make sense to judge anybody's job performance. And where are the people who want Corsi gone now, when the Sabres team save percentage (ignoring Miller's three games) would be 8th. Everyone was fawning over Allaire earlier. Yet, Noronen has outperformed Gerber and Biron has outperformed Giguere.

Now the whipping boy of the moment seems to be Pyatt, simply because he isn't Bertuzzi. Ironically, the same people who attack Pyatt for "softness" and "lack of scoring ability" are the biggest defenders of Afinogenov, who is softer and scores at about the same rate.

I've also come to the defense of Connolly, in particular when comparing to Afinogenov. Connolly is better defensively than Afinogenov, as shown by his playing more PK minutes in a week than Afinogenov has played in his career. His scoring has been about identical to Afinogenov's too. Both are soft perimeter players. Connolly is 2 years younger. For now the and the future (pre-injury, of course), Connolly was better. I had people accusing me of being Connolly's boyfriend. The truth is, I don't even like him as a player. I like Varada type players. But I hate irrational attacks on players even worse.

I have also been steadfast in my support of Ruff. I am so sick of the "Ruff has lost the lockerroom" argument, which is invariably used prior to a Sabres 4 game winning streak. Coaches don't suddenly get dumb, and Ruff got us to the Cup.

I agree with most of your points but it's also pretty obvious you have something against Afino. Max is Max, a fast scoring line winger, IMO a clone of Sergei Berezin.
There is no doubt that Max has outperformed Pyatt this year, and deserves a spot on this team before Taylor. I don't expect Pyatt to become the next Bertuzzi overnight, and I feel confident that one day he will be one hell of a power forward, but the fact of the matter is that Pyatt needs to play harder than he has so far this year.

Ruff did not get us to a cup, Dom Hasek did....Bottom line.

I'm a pretty big supporter of Martin Biron, but I lose confidence in him as easily as he loses confidence in himself.

eSabre 02-24-2004 03:45 PM

I'd say Kotalik for me.


Anyone who even thinks about trading him is friggin' crazy.

joechip 02-25-2004 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Even now? I can understand why Dumont would never make anyone happy until November of this year. Since then, he's changed his game around.

If the standard is who you'd shed a tear for if they played elsewhere....Lafontaine, Peca, Varada and Z.

I just gave you my irrational list, as was asked for. JP has played very well, but I just always find myself looking for an excuse to not like him.... old habits die hard, fair or not.

BTW, I agree about V and Peca. Never saw Patty play for the Sabres (I missed most of his career, saw only the begining on the Isle, as I missed about 10 years of hockey).


Ta,

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 02-25-2004 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
I agree with most of your points but it's also pretty obvious you have something against Afino. Max is Max, a fast scoring line winger, IMO a clone of Sergei Berezin.
There is no doubt that Max has outperformed Pyatt this year, and deserves a spot on this team before Taylor. I don't expect Pyatt to become the next Bertuzzi overnight, and I feel confident that one day he will be one hell of a power forward, but the fact of the matter is that Pyatt needs to play harder than he has so far this year.

Ruff did not get us to a cup, Dom Hasek did....Bottom line.

I'm a pretty big supporter of Martin Biron, but I lose confidence in him as easily as he loses confidence in himself.

I don't have anything against Afinogenov. I have something against the Kool Aid inspired worship of him. Afinogenov has not outperformed Pyatt. Max has 4 more points than Pyatt. Pyatt is much better defensively and plays more physically than Afinogenov. How does 4 more points make up for the rest of their games? Pyatt needs to be more consistent, no doubt. So does Afinogenov. It was Afinogenov, not Pyatt, who was benched for several games because he played so terribly.

If Hasek got us to the Cup, why couldn't he do it with Muckler or Nolan? In our Cup run, Hasek stole two games from the Sens, and one from the St*rs. That's it. We outplayed our opposition until the Finals - and that Gregson is one hell of a goal scorer. Very difficult to defend.

I doubt Biron loses confidence in himself. I doubt many goaltenders do. You have to have a certain arrogance even when you play like crap.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.