HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New Rule on September 15? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=551484)

Rust Heisenberg 09-14-2008 10:09 AM

New Rule on September 15?

I keep hearing that on September 15th a new rule will go into effect that will allow teams to sign players over a certain age legally over the cap limit. Now we know that Sundin is not going to go to the Canadiens now since they just traded for Rob Lang so it's safe to say that its between the Maple Leafs or the Rangers. The Canucks i wouldnt count in b/c they had the most money on the table and he still has not taken it so i dont htink it's about money and the Lighting i wouldnt count on b/c he's a 38 year old who want to play in either 2 places and wouldnt go out to try something new in this stage of his career. Now the Maple Leafs have had the space to get him since they traded McCabe to the Panthers and Sundin hasnt chosen them yet. The Rangers-- supposeldy MSG is his favorite place to play-- only have about 2 mill in free cap space. Tomorow this rule goes into effect. Do any of you think that Sundin has been waiting out just so this rule can come in and the Rangers can legally sign him to a big contract-- like a 1 year 6 mill plus incentives type deal?

Rust Heisenberg 09-14-2008 10:10 AM

i think this is what shanny is waiting for also...

GAGLine 09-14-2008 10:20 AM

Where are you hearing about this rule? The only thing I'm aware of is that the NHLPA has to first agree to extend the CBA before the over-35 bonus can be used. Has there been word that the NHLPA is going to extend the CBA?

Rust Heisenberg 09-14-2008 10:26 AM

i dont know i just remember reading somewhere that this rule would come into effect tomorow.

FromTheSide 09-14-2008 10:33 AM

tommorrow ,OF NEXT YEAR.

Ola 09-14-2008 10:55 AM

Sundin, if he wanted to play in NY, could have signed here in early July. He didn't. When not signing with a team in early July he knew that he wouldn't have many options in the future, despite that he didn't sign a deal.

Sundin isn't comming back. Only weeks ago he said that he have not worked out and would probably need more then a month to get back into shape. Sundin himself have not indicated anything whatsoever that he is leaning towards comming back, he have basically done everything he can to communicate that he is retireing.

However, his agent on the other hand are speculating and spreading rumors left and right --thats odd. Maybe he wants the attention, thinks it will get him more clients, I don't know. But Id bet allot of dough on Sundin not comming back.

Turambar 09-14-2008 11:00 AM

Wow, another Sundin thread. Way to clog the board!

Rust Heisenberg 09-14-2008 11:02 AM

sorry i was just wondering

Cherepanisimov 09-14-2008 11:19 AM

according to eklund

The Thomas J.* 09-14-2008 01:18 PM

*sigh* Yet more Sundin questions, if he does sign here I'm gonna hate him based on all these off season threads

BBKers 09-14-2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola (Post 15441901)
Sundin, if he wanted to play in NY, could have signed here in early July. He didn't. When not signing with a team in early July he knew that he wouldn't have many options in the future, despite that he didn't sign a deal.

Sundin isn't comming back. Only weeks ago he said that he have not worked out and would probably need more then a month to get back into shape. Sundin himself have not indicated anything whatsoever that he is leaning towards comming back, he have basically done everything he can to communicate that he is retireing.

However, his agent on the other hand are speculating and spreading rumors left and right --thats odd. Maybe he wants the attention, thinks it will get him more clients, I don't know. But Id bet allot of dough on Sundin not comming back.

Per Nygårds - a very good friend of Mats and ass coach of Timrå in SEL- says the same to me. And he is my brother. i agree with you Ola. But all is not always as it seems...

wolfgaze 09-14-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKers (Post 15444953)
Per Nygårds - a very good friend of Mats and ass coach of Timrå in SEL- says the same to me. And he is my brother. i agree with you Ola. But all is not always as it seems...

LOL you said "ass coach" ;)

BobMarleyNYR 09-15-2008 08:31 AM

:laugh:
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKers (Post 15444953)

HockeyBasedNYC 09-15-2008 08:55 AM

Eklund has spread this date around, and it means absolutely nothing.

Its something he concocted to keep people reading his blog because he's always wrong. Just another convenient excuse for him.

This date is representative of whenever the new CBA deal is put into action by the NHLPA. This is the last year of the CBA and it has to be renewed. There's no indication that it will be completed exactly on this date or any date around it. Its an inexact science. Until then, the new bonus rules and how it effects the following seasons cap won't be determined, so theres no way to sign anyone to a bonus incentive until then.

Eklund threw out the date to keep everyone hanging around and believing it was something that was legit. McKenzie over at TSN had an article that explained it all but i cant seem to find it.

Melrose_Jr. 09-15-2008 09:08 AM

9/15 is the day the current CBA expires. It may happen as early as 9/15/2009, or as late as 9/15/2013. This link should clear up the confusion: http://www.nhlscap.com/CBA_term.htm

As HBNYC said, 9/15/2008 is a meaningless date in the context of the NHL CBA.

BBKers 09-15-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR (Post 15451148)

Ass is t(a)nt then...
I gottcha
ummm btw - he (the ass coach) said to me today again that Mats is going to retire
No more motivation

shmekel 09-15-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 15448162)
LOL you said "ass coach" ;)

I hear they're very "hands-on"...

BobMarleyNYR 09-15-2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKers (Post 15452754)
Ass is t(a)nt then...
I gottcha
ummm btw - he (the ass coach) said to me today again that Mats is going to retire
No more motivation

I was being stupid, its obvious what you were saying, I just have a very childish sense of humor. ;)

To be honest, who wants to take such chances on a 38-year-old who is out of shape? As players age, they should be training HARDER each season, a la Jagr. Tkachuk looked like a third liner in '05-06 - same situation.

So I'm going to tell Congress, "thanks but no thanks on that bridge to nowhere." Maybe 400 times...

HockeyBasedNYC 09-16-2008 09:55 AM

Yeah, that new bonus rule and the signing of the CBA extension was really splattered all over the news yesterday.

Good thing the Rangers waited for it so they could fit in Shanahan and/or Sundin.

:sarcasm:

TheHotRock 09-16-2008 11:05 AM

the more times nyr is linked to sundin on a webpage, the more hits that webpage gets. we happen to have more fans than any other team int he USA. Montreal has the second most fans in canada.

coincidence?