HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The All Capitals Fantasy Discussion/Inquiries/Injuries Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=551728)

usiel 09-15-2008 08:29 AM

The All Capitals Fantasy Discussion/Inquiries/Injuries Thread

Quote:

Post all your Caps-related fantasy hockey questions here. New FH threads will be merged with this one, rather than moved to the purgatory of the FH board, which few people visit.

Think of this stickied thread as the best way to make sure your questions get answered quickly, and without falling off the board in a couple of hours.

We'll leave this thread stickied at least through the start and first couple of weeks of the season.

Its that time of the year. :)

strungout 09-15-2008 10:06 AM

Thank you sir.

The Chef* 09-18-2008 08:47 PM

Semin's defensive game.

He's been a - in his career with the caps so far. Who is he playing with this year, and has his d-game improved? the stats show he got worse, but the stats don't always show everything.

Also, what are his point predictions from you guys?

Portable Mink 09-18-2008 09:05 PM

GP 74
G 42
A 41
Pts 83
+14
78 PIM

BrooklynCapsFan 09-18-2008 09:20 PM

I actually think that Semin is really good defensively when he wants to be. If you pay attention, a lot of his turnovers are followed by him pursuing the new puck carrier and flat out robbing him. He doesn't do it as much as he should, but with Fedorov on his line, I expect it to happen with greater frequency.

Marshall 09-18-2008 09:22 PM

Fantasy thread.

Backstrom #19 09-18-2008 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan (Post 15491502)
I actually think that Semin is really good defensively when he wants to be. If you pay attention, a lot of his turnovers are followed him pursuing the new puck carrier and flat out robbing him. He doesn't do it as much as he should, but with Fedorov on his line, I expect it to happen with greater frequency.

I agree with you. Towards the end of last year, and in the playoffs Semin was actually coming back to the defensive zone and was playing defence, and he was good at it. He was good defensively at the World Championships too, IIRC he played on the PK with Fedorov a number of times. He's good defensively when he wants to be, it's just getting him to play defence. With Fedorov I don't think that will be a problem.

Edit- My predictions for Semin this year.

76 GP
45 Goals
30 assist
75 points
+7
85 PIM

SSM12 09-18-2008 09:42 PM

just draft him

AVE MAN 09-18-2008 09:46 PM

What's Semin's contact status? Is he a player that might threaten to play in Russia once his contract is up? Im in a keeper draft, that's vital info.

Portable Mink 09-18-2008 09:47 PM

look at us all laying in.

its funny seeing how different people disguise their fantasy requirements.

SSM12 09-18-2008 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVE MAN (Post 15491775)
What's Semin's contact status? Is he a player that might threaten to play in Russia once his contract is up? Im in a keeper draft, that's vital info.

He is not going to russia

AVE MAN 09-18-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSM12 (Post 15491835)
He is not going to russia

What makes you say that?

brs03 09-18-2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVE MAN (Post 15491775)

Well, he doesn't like to change things, so that would bode well for him staying in DC. He's pretty good friends with Ovechkin, so that helps. I will say I'd be more worried about the KHL than I would another NHL team's offer sheet, but you never really know.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar 09-19-2008 12:40 AM

I think he will stay in the NHL at least one more contract, that way he can wait and see how the KHL does.

He did get burned pretty bad by the RSL, so I think he'll think twice before running off to Russia.

Though honestly I dont think anyone but Semin knows what he is going to do.

Jasper17 09-19-2008 07:57 AM

Semin is never going to be confused with a Selke winner. In the playoffs he was better than the regular season. He is the type of player who will always turn the puck over in the neurtral and defensive zone by trying to do more than he has to. But I think you have to accept that from a player like Semin.

In the playoffs he was a little smarter, i can't recall him turning the puck over in any bad area's. But that is always going to be a part of this game. He lives to handle the puck and take players on, even when its not the smartest thing to do.

Hopefully as he gets older he will learn that taking on two guys at or around your own blue line isn't a good idea and he will learn to pick his spots more. But I suspect Semin turning the puck over at times in bad positions is something we are just going to have to live with. It doesn't happen to often, so the positives far out weigh the negatives.

alexovetjkin 09-19-2008 07:59 AM

To my opinion Semin would top the list of the players who would go to play in KHL. He loves Siberia, hates American food, says there's nothing to do in spare time in DC. And they can offer him a ton plus another ton of money. The only thing that can keep him is Ovechkin and other fellow Russians in the team. But his contract is limited by salary cup minus Ovechkin's salary minus Green's. Russians can offer him more than he would ever be able to make in NHL. That's why I think he might be gone. But I agree, you never know for sure with enigmatic Semin the Cat.

Jasper17 09-19-2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexovetjkin (Post 15494028)
To my opinion Semin would top the list of the players who would go to play in KHL. He loves Siberia, hates American food, says there's nothing to do in spare time in DC. And they can offer him a ton plus another ton of money. The only thing that can keep him is Ovechkin and other fellow Russians in the team. But his contract is limited by salary cup minus Ovechkin's salary minus Green's. Russians can offer him more than he would ever be able to make in NHL. That's why I think he might be gone. But I agree, you never know for sure with enigmatic Semin the Cat.

Part of me agree's with you, hell two years ago I would have certinaly agreed with you. Howeve Semin has stated that he does like playing in Washington and doesn't want to move around the league.

I think Semin will sign one more contract with Washington when this current deal is up. How long that contact will be is a ?.

pgreene 09-19-2008 08:05 AM

fantasy thread x2

Drake1588 09-19-2008 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexovetjkin (Post 15494028)

Semin saw first hand that for all the new wealth in Russia, it can disappear in a moment, and there are no guarantees. His team flat-out imploded on him in Lada, and he had to scrounge to find a billet in mid-season. That kind of thing leaves an impression on you. Every NHL contract has an ironclad guarantee.

Besides, players leave the NHL for the KHL when they believe that the system in North America is short-changing them financially. Semin is going to make $5M to $8M annually in the NHL, depending on his goal totals, and you aren't going to see that much more money offered in Russia. He is already poised to earn a truckload of cash, in Washington or elsewhere, in the NHL if he can string together a couple of 45-goal seasons.

He's also slowly, almost against his will, assimilating to North American ways.

txpd 09-19-2008 08:23 AM

I hate this time of year. When are all the fantasy drafts over?

strungout 09-19-2008 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 15494120)
I hate this time of year. When are all the fantasy drafts over?

I don't think they ever end!

:cry:

Drake1588 09-19-2008 08:44 AM

Who the hell drafts for plus/minus, anyway? It's not just a fantasy thread, but a warped fantasy thread.

AVE MAN 09-19-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588 (Post 15494074)
Semin saw first hand that for all the new wealth in Russia, it can disappear in a moment, and there are no guarantees. His team flat-out imploded on him in Lada, and he had to scrounge to find a billet in mid-season. That kind of thing leaves an impression on you. Every NHL contract has an ironclad guarantee.

Besides, players leave the NHL for the KHL when they believe that the system in North America is short-changing them financially. Semin is going to make $5M to $8M annually in the NHL, depending on his goal totals, and you aren't going to see that much more money offered in Russia. He is already poised to earn a truckload of cash, in Washington or elsewhere, in the NHL if he can string together a couple of 45-goal seasons.

He's also slowly, almost against his will, assimilating to North American ways.

Good post, when is his current contract completed?

Drake1588 09-19-2008 09:39 AM

Semin is beginning a two-year contract that has a salary cap hit of $4.6M in each of the next two seasons. He will still be a RFA at the conclusion of his contract.

brs03 09-19-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVE MAN (Post 15494632)
Good post, when is his current contract completed?

He's got two years left (this season and next). He'll be an RFA after that which makes it unlikely he'd go to another NHL team, although obviously it's no help against the KHL.