HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bob Gainey manager of Canada's 2010 Olympic Team? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=551957)

Artyukhin* 09-15-2008 10:11 PM

Bob Gainey manager of Canada's 2010 Olympic Team?
 
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=3589729

Candidates to manage the team include Edmonton Oilers president Kevin Lowe and GM Steve Tambellini. They were Gretzky's assistant and director of player personnel in 2002 and 2006. Ken Holland of the Detroit Red Wings and Bob Gainey of the Montreal Canadiens are also possibilities.

habs86 09-15-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie (Post 15458995)
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=3589729

Candidates to manage the team include Edmonton Oilers president Kevin Lowe and GM Steve Tambellini. They were Gretzky's assistant and director of player personnel in 2002 and 2006. Ken Holland of the Detroit Red Wings and Bob Gainey of the Montreal Canadiens are also possibilities.

IMO I would think it would be a great honour for BG to take the job, and at the same time show the world just how great a hockey mind he is.

Beakermania* 09-15-2008 10:43 PM

They are gonna give the GM job to Yzerman.... hopefully Gainey gets a spot on his staff.

Habsfan 32 09-15-2008 10:44 PM

I really hope Bob can atleast be on the staff.

Jack Bourdain 09-15-2008 10:47 PM

Bob will bring Carbo with him, in his luggage.

Galchenyuk x 27 09-15-2008 10:47 PM

Would be cool if BG gets a spot on the staff, I believe he deserves it

Clumsyhab 09-16-2008 12:42 AM

Anyone knows when the tickets are going to be on sale? Would be cool to see at least one Team Canada game at the Olympics.

brownman* 09-16-2008 01:58 AM

Well obviously I don't know who exactly chose who back in '97, leading up the Olympics, but considering some of the choices I'd rather Bob chill at home. Granted the results were significantly better than '06 but let Yzerman and Holland run the show.

24Cups 09-16-2008 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie (Post 15458995)
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=3589729

Candidates to manage the team include Edmonton Oilers president Kevin Lowe and GM Steve Tambellini. They were Gretzky's assistant and director of player personnel in 2002 and 2006. Ken Holland of the Detroit Red Wings and Bob Gainey of the Montreal Canadiens are also possibilities.

Kevin Lowe is way over-rated. And when did Gretzky say no to managing the team again. I'd like a brain trust of Gretzky, Holland, and Gainey. Let Lowe sit this one out.

Blind Gardien 09-16-2008 07:02 AM

It'd be an honour for him I guess, but just as a fan at home I'd probably be happier if he stayed focused on the Habs instead. Happy either way, mind you. But just happier if he picked R'n'R and/or Habs.

Blind Gardien 09-16-2008 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24Cups (Post 15460967)
Kevin Lowe is way over-rated. And when did Gretzky say no to managing the team again. I'd like a brain trust of Gretzky, Holland, and Gainey. Let Lowe sit this one out.

I don't really get how you need too much of a "brain trust" to put together or manage an Olympic team. The players are mostly obvious picks. Coaching probably plays the biggest role. But what do the managers do, sit around and trade cigars and fancy drinks that only hf4 can pronounce, and swap war stories? :dunno:

mcphee 09-16-2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 15461028)
I don't really get how you need too much of a "brain trust" to put together or manage an Olympic team. The players are mostly obvious picks. Coaching probably plays the biggest role. But what do the managers do, sit around and trade cigars and fancy drinks that only hf4 can pronounce, and swap war stories? :dunno:

Let's see if he notices this one.

All indications sound like Yzerman, with I assume Holland. They'd incorporate someone from the east, but I'd be surprised if it's Gainey. I'd go after whoever is the best regarded pro scout in the conference.

Habs 4 Life 09-16-2008 07:39 AM

Looks like Yzerman is going to get the job,maybe Gainey can sneak a job on the staff

beowulf 09-16-2008 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakermania (Post 15459375)
They are gonna give the GM job to Yzerman.... hopefully Gainey gets a spot on his staff.

I totally agree, Yzerman with Gretzky as coach.....not sure about the coach....

Newhabfan 09-16-2008 08:08 AM

Can someone tell me what the role of the team manager would be there? I mean, as said here before, the team selection is obvious, motivating players should not be hard, and there are no trades or long time planning involved. Is this just a public relations position ?

The frame of any international tournament makes it a lot harder - you lose one game and you're out. No second chances. What is a manager going to do ? It looks to me they are just for the show.

And besides, even if I only followed hockey for the last 4-5 years, I already figured that Hockey Canada management is more of a group of friends, that include Gretzky and Izerman, but I doubt it includes Gainey or Carbonneau .

Gros Bill 09-16-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 15461015)
It'd be an honour for him I guess, but just as a fan at home I'd probably be happier if he stayed focused on the Habs instead. Happy either way, mind you. But just happier if he picked R'n'R and/or Habs.

I agree. I'd rather see Gainey stay focused on the Habs. He could just chill out at home, smoking cigars and drinking fancy drinks that only HF4 can pronounce.

24Cups 09-16-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 15461028)
I don't really get how you need too much of a "brain trust" to put together or manage an Olympic team. The players are mostly obvious picks. Coaching probably plays the biggest role. But what do the managers do, sit around and trade cigars and fancy drinks that only hf4 can pronounce, and swap war stories? :dunno:

Yes, you're right. But it is a great honour and the best should be chosen for management positions the same way players are for on ice roster spots.

AD 09-16-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gros Bill (Post 15461289)
I agree. I'd rather see Gainey stay focused on the Habs. He could just chill out at home, smoking cigars and drinking fancy drinks that only HF4 can pronounce.

You are smarter than you look.

Benzaza 09-16-2008 10:05 AM

gainey was part of nagano..maybe gretzky will hold it against him ..lol..joke.

crawford..crawford :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

habfan4 09-16-2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 15461028)
I don't really get how you need too much of a "brain trust" to put together or manage an Olympic team. The players are mostly obvious picks. Coaching probably plays the biggest role. But what do the managers do, sit around and trade cigars and fancy drinks that only hf4 can pronounce, and swap war stories? :dunno:

What pray tell is so difficult about ordering a mimosa or bloody mary in the morning, an ale or lager in the afternoon and a gin martini or scotch in evening? It's only in the company of the fairer sex that one needs to worry about ordering a Benderitter or a Kashenka.

Gros Bill 09-16-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfan4 (Post 15462110)
What pray tell is so difficult about ordering a mimosa or bloody mary in the morning, an ale or lager in the afternoon and a gin martini or scotch in evening? It's only in the company of the fairer sex that one needs to worry about ordering a Benderitter or a Kashenka.

There you go again. :shakehead

Blind Gardien 09-16-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfan4 (Post 15462110)
What pray tell is so difficult about ordering a mimosa or bloody mary in the morning, an ale or lager in the afternoon and a gin martini or scotch in evening? It's only in the company of the fairer sex that one needs to worry about ordering a Benderitter or a Kashenka.

Ok, cool. Maybe it's not so difficult. Now leaving all the rest aside, is that order determined by your personal preference alone, or is there some more complicated set of social parameters involved in the selection?

And genuine curiosity here about that last comment, why does one have to worry when ordering a Benderitter or Kashenka (whatever they are) in the presence of the fairer sex?

Gros Bill 09-16-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 15463586)
Ok, cool. Maybe it's not so difficult. Now leaving all the rest aside, is that order determined by your personal preference alone, or is there some more complicated set of social parameters involved in the selection?

And genuine curiosity here about that last comment, why does one have to worry when ordering a Benderitter or Kashenka (whatever they are) in the presence of the fairer sex?

Prenunshiashion ?

AD 09-16-2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 15463586)
Ok, cool. Maybe it's not so difficult. Now leaving all the rest aside, is that order determined by your personal preference alone, or is there some more complicated set of social parameters involved in the selection?

And genuine curiosity here about that last comment, why does one have to worry when ordering a Benderitter or Kashenka (whatever they are) in the presence of the fairer sex?

One need not look like a fool before the fairer sex.


(I'm assuming the fairer sex is whatever Mcphee is these days)

Kriss E 09-16-2008 12:43 PM

Kevin Lowe?? Why oh Why??..
I don't even know why Yzerman would get the job.

Kenny Holland would be the GM id go with, Bob would be option B.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.