HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   jeff o'neill - what's the price? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=55199)

npinguy 02-24-2004 01:01 PM

jeff o'neill - what's the price?

Could he be had for an umburger/king/2nd?

Jaysfanatic* 02-24-2004 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npinguy

Isn't that the second time you have proposed Umburger/King/2nd? to any team? Last one being the Rangers for Kovalev?

Im sure he could be had for something to that effect. I was thinking more or less both Sedin's, and King

neelynugs 02-24-2004 01:12 PM

i get the feeling that boston really wants this guy. jillson and martin samuelsson could be headed to carolina...but i think the b's would need something else back- maybe a 4th rounder

ziploc 02-24-2004 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic
Isn't that the second time you have proposed Umburger/King/2nd? to any team? Last one being the Rangers for Kovalev?

Im sure he could be had for something to that effect. I was thinking more or less both Sedin's, and King

Errr....both Sedin's. And King. For O'Neil. I'm going to assume you are making a ha-ha funny joke.

Of course, the benefit of this trade is that we could see how effective O'Neil would be playing on a line entirely by himself.

Ziploc

bleedgreen 02-24-2004 02:56 PM

Quote:

top winger for 2 second round picks and a minor leaguer? pass. why wouldnt they just keep him?

struckmatch 02-24-2004 02:59 PM

To Car:

Kirill Koltsov, Jason King, 1st in 2005

To Vancouver:

Jeff O'Neill

Enoch 02-24-2004 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen
top winger for 2 second round picks and a minor leaguer? pass. why wouldnt they just keep him?

See Steve Sullivan.

:dunno:

ehc73 02-24-2004 02:59 PM

As stated by 'Canes fans, Rutherford wants someone who can help out now plus prospects/picks. King might be able to help out now, but not having scored in 2 months seriously hampers that. Umberger could be had in the offseason as a UFA. He's essentially a 2nd rounder if you don't sign him. So that's King and two 2nds if you don't sign Umberger and King, a potential 1st/2nd liner and a 2nd if you do sign Umberger. As a Canuck fan, I'd do this in a second but Carolina would not.
O'Neill will come at the cost of a roster player at the very least, not picks and prospects(unless the Devils offer up Parise or something). Canucks are probably looking at Cooke or Allen(probably Allen) plus others to obtain O'Neill.

bleedgreen 02-24-2004 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
See Steve Sullivan.

not a comparable situation, if you know the teams involved. thanks for summing up ehc.

Enoch 02-24-2004 03:04 PM

Quote:

not a comparable situation, if you know the teams involved. thanks for summing up ehc.

I'm just putting what you said in perspective. Sullivan went for two 2nd round picks, and while I feel that is really low for him, it just shows that a trade for two 2nds has been done before :). That being said, I think O'neil will cost a 1st and a good prospect. Not much more..maybe another pick/mid-tier prospect.

Hawkalyzer 02-24-2004 03:05 PM

Quote:

See Steve Sullivan.

dont ever measure a value of a player by a trade the hawks made

unless of course you wanna trade with Billfold Pullford

Drake1588 02-24-2004 03:11 PM

I agree with those who say that for Rutherford, O'Neill will cost a team one good roster player, plus. This is not a rental type of deadline deal, I think. Prospects and picks are not what the Canes are looking to acquire. They are in no rush to trade him, and appear to be more curious to gauge his value, than they are determined to deal him. If a sweetheart deal is presented, I think Rutherford will bite, but I will not be surprised at all if O'Neill remains a Hurricane on March 10th.

bleedgreen 02-24-2004 03:14 PM

Quote:

I'm just putting what you said in perspective. Sullivan went for two 2nd round picks, and while I feel that is really low for him, it just shows that a trade for two 2nds has been done before :). That being said, I think O'neil will cost a 1st and a good prospect. Not much more..maybe another pick/mid-tier prospect.

i agree anything can happen, but the canes just arent in the same desparate "take this salary please" mode the hawks are. i dont mean that to offend any hawks fans, it blows what ownership has done to that team and i hope they can turn it around...but the canes have stated repeatedly an oneill deal has to make sense. the formula is easy enough -something for now, something for later. Ive held on to the notion it would take a young player who can play now, and an above average prospect/high pick. value of the prospect/pick depending on the level of the young player. i think chicago wore their intentions on their sleeves when shopping sully, and thats what you get back when you do that - i guess at least they got some picks. i could be wrong about oneill, im hoping he stays anyway ;) .

Team_Spirit 02-24-2004 03:18 PM

i'm pettry sure the Habs would overrun any of these offers for O'Neill.

Munchausen 02-24-2004 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
i'm pettry sure the Habs would overrun any of these offers for O'Neill.

I would not have any problem about offering a package of say Hainsey, Plekanec (or an other prospect if they're not looking for centers) and a 2nd for O'Neill, who's still pretty young, so it's not just a rental. A bidding war might mean the cost will end up being even a bit higher, but I think it's worth it. Only problem is financial of course, like always, as O'Neill sur isn't worth his 3,7M this year. And I'm not sure just how much Gainey would be willing to add, but the fact O'Neill is a fairly big and pretty rugged scorer makes him the ideal addition to play with Koivu and Zednik in this playoff race.

npinguy 02-24-2004 04:12 PM

Quote:

king has been a scorer on every level of the game, umburger has star potential.

and yes, i did propose the exact same thing for kovalev, but i just really like that group of guys - i think they're attractive to a team, but i wouldn't think twice about trading them away.

I don'tsee how jeff o'neill fit into carolina's rebuildng future - their future is williams, staal, weeks, cole...o'neill istoo old and too exepensive for them.

Jaysfanatic* 02-24-2004 04:19 PM

I am willing to offer Jeff Friesen (roster player), David Hale (roster player and Prospect), Tumoas Pihlman (solid prospect), and a 3rd to Carolina for Jeff O'Neill and Carolina's 4th round pick in the 2005 entry draft, that pick becomes a third rounder if New Jersey and O'Neill reach a re-signing agreement in the offseason.

bleedgreen 02-24-2004 04:33 PM

Quote:

king has been a scorer on every level of the game, umburger has star potential.

I don'tsee how jeff o'neill fit into carolina's rebuildng future - their future is williams, staal, weeks, cole...o'neill istoo old and too exepensive for them.

hes been sent to the minors twice this year, im not giving up on him - but i just dont see him as more than a third liner - maybe he'll prove me wrong. where is umberger playing? is he really taking the year off like the hockey news said? i knew he had contract issues, but i had assumed he was still at ohio. the best ive heard about him is that he may become a second center...never star potential. but then again, how would i know? oneill is 28, not exactly long in the tooth. some would say a 28 year old would still be around after a rebuild. oneill is pricey for them, but not too expensive-they will lose a lot of salary off ufa/ retirements after the season. some might say they need to replace those players with free agents, meaning oneill has to go. maybe, but i would think they would rather have oneill than a free agent replacement to bob boughner. they have already paid the majority of his salary this season, so even if they decided they "had" to trade him for money reasons(they havent), couldnt they do it during the eternal offseason?

bleedgreen 02-24-2004 04:38 PM

Quote:

I am willing to offer Jeff Friesen (roster player), David Hale (roster player and Prospect), Tumoas Pihlman (solid prospect), and a 3rd to Carolina for Jeff O'Neill and Carolina's 4th round pick in the 2005 entry draft, that pick becomes a third rounder if New Jersey and O'Neill reach a re-signing agreement in the offseason.

if i had to trade oneill, i would do that one.

Pure Slaughter Value 02-24-2004 04:46 PM

Isles: Parrish/Bates
Parrish/2nd
Parrish/Mapletoft
Parrish/Papineau

Send to (for)

Canes: O'Neill

Any of the above Isles offers any good?

Jaysfanatic* 02-24-2004 04:50 PM

Quote:

if i had to trade oneill, i would do that one.

:) awesome, I like to be fair, and you have to give quality to get it, Im a firm believer in that.

bleedgreen 02-24-2004 04:56 PM

Quote:

:) awesome, I like to be fair, and you have to give quality to get it, Im a firm believer in that.

you are a rare individual around here :D .
im against the isles deal because i dont think parrish changes anything, and neither of those prospects are really ones to build around. i like devils deal because of hale, its fair because the canes have to eat freisens contract. if you add a valued piece like hale to go along with parrish, maybe.

Jaysfanatic* 02-24-2004 05:28 PM

Quote:

you are a rare individual around here :D .
im against the isles deal because i dont think parrish changes anything, and neither of those prospects are really ones to build around. i like devils deal because of hale, its fair because the canes have to eat freisens contract. if you add a valued piece like hale to go along with parrish, maybe.

Well the way I see it, both of these guys (Jeff and Jeff) are up for RFA status, so they may both be moved....I think that maybe I gave up too much in Pihlman as well, and Friesen Hale and a 2nd would be suffice for O'Neill and a 4th......but if not I'll put Pihlman in.....I like the deal because O'Neill has been a favorite of mine since his days in the OHL.

monster_bertuzzi 02-24-2004 05:32 PM

Quote:

You might...but Lamoriello sure as hell wouldn't.

Traitor8 02-24-2004 05:35 PM

Ron Hainsey
Marcel Hossa
Tomas Plekanec
2nd round pick in 2004

For

Jeff O'Neil
Eric Cole