HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gainey's respect of the player (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=552150)

wedge 09-16-2008 04:16 PM

Gainey's respect of the player

I know that many of us want Gainey to send Dandenault to the minors or buy him out. Even I am included. But I think a lot about Gainey's respect for the players. Gainey had every reason in the world to send to the farm guys like Samsonov but never did. There were rumors about buying out Kovalev last year but he didn't do it.

In other teams, we see guys like Schneider put on waivers, Bertuzzi bought out, Mogilny and others in New jersey sent to the farm even if they could still contribute to the NHL team. Where is the respect there? Veterans who finish there career in the AHL because of their salary. If I was a veteran player, there's no way I would sign in one of these teams. The humiliation of being waived or having to spend time in the minors? That's not what you're looking for.

That's what I like about Gainey and I'm sure that, in the future, it will pay off. He respects the players. Even if we want to see Dandenault in the minors, I'm sure Gainey won't do it. he'll do everything in his power to find Dandy another team. He'll waive him without sending him to the farm. He'll save him from the humiliation of playing in the AHL. With all the respect Gainey shows to his players, don't be surprised if some of them eventually sign at a discount price or if it spreads around the league and more and more players are interested in playing here.

So, even if we don't like it, we have to think about the positive aspects of it.

Bullsmith 09-16-2008 04:23 PM

Gainey's credibility within the hockey world is an enormous asset for the Canadiens. But lots of teams that treat vets badly still attract UFAs. Winning helps. Weather helps. Being the big apple helps. etc.

Corey 09-16-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarev (Post 15466339)
I know that many of us want Gainey to send Dandenault to the minors or buy him out. Even I am included. But I think a lot about Gainey's respect for the players. Gainey had every reason in the world to send to the farm guys like Samsonov but never did. There were rumors about buying out Kovalev last year but he didn't do it.

In other teams, we see guys like Schneider put on waivers, Bertuzzi bought out, Mogilny and others in New jersey sent to the farm even if they could still contribute to the NHL team. Where is the respect there? Veterans who finish there career in the AHL because of their salary. If I was a veteran player, there's no way I would sign in one of these teams. The humiliation of being waived or having to spend time in the minors? That's not what you're looking for.

That's what I like about Gainey and I'm sure that, in the future, it will pay off. He respects the players. Even if we want to see Dandenault in the minors, I'm sure Gainey won't do it. he'll do everything in his power to find Dandy another team. He'll waive him without sending him to the farm. He'll save him from the humiliation of playing in the AHL. With all the respect Gainey shows to his players, don't be surprised if some of them eventually sign at a discount price or if it spreads around the league and more and more players are interested in playing here.

So, even if we don't like it, we have to think about the positive aspects of it.

Mogilny had to be sent to the minors because otherwise the Devils would have been over the cap. The Ducks aren't being heartless, they can't fit Schneider into their cap space. So far, paying Dandenault doesn't put the Habs over the cap, but what if they had to sign another player? Or bring up an injury replacement? Should Gainey say he can't take on another player because he doesn't want to humiliate Dandenault by sending him to the minors? He'd better not do that if he wants to keep his job. You don't know if Gainey hasn't tried to unload Dandenault. The problem is, no one wants him. Just remember that Gainey didn't re-sign Brisebois a few years ago and Brisebois had a much longer history with the Habs than Dandenault has now. In fact, Gainey signed Dandenault right after he cut Brisebois. Was that a sign of respect? Don't get mushy sentimental about Gainey! He has to be businesslike.

HamrlikTheStud* 09-16-2008 05:26 PM

Actually, wouldn't keeping a guy like Dandenault to keep him warming up the bench be a lack of respect for him?

Gainey acts in the interest of his hockey club, period. He's a player GM who understands the game, and he protects his players the best he can, but if he had an opportunity to put his hands on something really helpful down the road, he would do what's necessary to do it... even if it means waiving a player.

There's just no point at waiving Dandenault right now. You never know what could happen in the training camp. If everything goes all right, he'll be waived a few days before the beginning of the regular season.

Team_Spirit 09-16-2008 05:40 PM

I also liked what he did with Locke.. after these years in Hamilton and the equipement fiasco before his 1st game Gainey got him back up, told Carbo to dress him for a game then traded him this summer to a team that might give him a shot.

znk 09-16-2008 05:45 PM

He's put guys on waivers, he's bought out players.

And dont be surprised to see Dandenault getting waived if he cant trade him.

So no...he's not really different then other GM's.

Beakermania* 09-17-2008 11:56 AM

When Czerkawski and Audette were sent to Hamilton was that Savard or Gainey as GM?

Ozymandias 09-17-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakermania (Post 15474807)
When Czerkawski and Audette were sent to Hamilton was that Savard or Gainey as GM?

Czerkawski

:facepalm:

Now I'll be having hockey nightmares for a week.