HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   one way contracts vs two way contracts (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=552823)

mayoradamwest* 09-18-2008 06:02 PM

one way contracts vs two way contracts
I've been getting a lot of conflicting information about this and was wondering if somebody could help me out.

I've heard a lot of talk about one way and two way contracts. I know that one way means that a player is paid the same in the NHL or AHL, where a two way is one salary for AHL one salary for NHL.

My confusion though is the implications of a one/two way deal on waivers. Does it make a difference? Does a person on a one way deal necessarily have to go through waivers?

Darren McCarty signed a two way deal for the wings for example, but he'd obviously have to go through waivers as he's been in the league for so long.

What about somebody like Alex Picard for the Senators? If he doesn't make the team, does he have to go through waivers even though he's only been in the league for a few years now?

any help is appreciated.

Tinalera 09-18-2008 06:10 PM

I am going to add my uneducated .2 :)

I believe both can go on waivers, but one way usually means they can be grabbed on recall, whereas two way they can pass waivers and be recalled without be grabbed by another team UNLESS they've played x amount of NHL games(10?)

Though I'm sure I'll be corrected :)

bassassin 09-18-2008 06:18 PM

Another uneducated view here, players on two way contracts with under 70 games at the NHL level can go back and forth through waivers as much as they like. Or that is what I thought anyway, hence why Mike Lundin cant go to the AHL because he played about 80 games last season.

Whereas I thought a player on a one way deal went through waivers when going to minors or being called up. Like this season Hutchinson is playing for a spot in camp, but if he doesnt make it he gets put on waivers and sent down and again for being called up.

mepex 09-18-2008 06:23 PM

A player's contract type has no bearing on their waiver exemption status. Whether a player is exempt from waivers is a function of their age and NHL or other pro experience. Both the players you mentioned aren't waiver exempt. Picard is closer, but a player his age has to have under 60 games of NHL experience to be waiver exempt. Picard has played 92 NHL games.

Snoil11 09-18-2008 06:42 PM

This link should answer your question:

Irish Blues 09-18-2008 07:53 PM

To summarize: whether a player has a 1-way contract or a 2-way contract has absolutely no effect on whether the player is subject to waivers or not; that is determined by the table in Article 13 which states that it's dependent on two things:
1. The number of years since the player first signed an NHL contract, and/or
2. The number of NHL games [which includes playoff games as well as regular season games] the player has played.

kdb will likely be along to explain the details ... I have 5 1/2 hours to rush a project to completion before they literally cut the power here at work. :D