HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Atlantic Division Predictions. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=552898)

John Torturella 09-18-2008 09:51 PM

Atlantic Division Predictions.

What do you guys think about our division for this season? Obviously our main competitors will be the Devils, Flyers and Penguins. What teams do you think the Rangers will finish ahead of? I have it like this:

Flyers
Pens
Rangers
Devils
Islanders

I know its hard to tell where the Rangers will be as a team in a few months, but its interesting to think about. They could realistically win the Division.

Personally, I think the Rangers and the Devils might surpass the Pens in the standings this season. They basically replaced Hossa and Malone with Islanders rejects. I cant see them being close to as dominant as they were last year.

EvilCorporateLawyer 09-18-2008 10:06 PM

The Pens are way too hard to predict, in my opinion. A lot of roster turnover and the loss of Hossa (which was the one thing that made them a lot scarier -- as the Rangers stuck with them most games before his acquisition).

The Flyers are the class of the Atlantic right now, in my opinion. Though I'm never going to be sold on their goaltending (as I see Biron as a 2nd class starter), their depth is unmatched.

The Devils will be solid simply based on Brodeur. They have relatively nothing of note besides him, but the addition of Rolston will certainly help this year in their offensive category.

The Islanders are the Islanders. Cellar dwellers who will steal some games now and then based really only on Dipietro. Horrible team that's been perpetually rebuilding for the last decade.

The Rangers, like the Pens, are going to be extremely hard to predict. We can either do really great if the chemistry comes early, or we can be battling for 8th place at the trade deadline if it doesn't.

Prediction:

1. Flyers
2. Devils*
3. Rangers/Pens
4. Rangers/Pens
5. Islanders

I see them finishing ahead of us for chemistry reasons alone. We will likely be able to handle them in the season and post-season yet again, in my opinion. But their chemistry is already there with a lack of real turnover and it will greatly help their team that simply doesn't have many great pieces outside of Brodeur.

NYReign 09-18-2008 10:08 PM

Penguins
Canadiens
Capitals
-------
Flyers
Rangers
Senators
Devils
Bruins
----------------
Hurricanes
Sabres
Lightning
Panthers
Thrashers
Islanders
Maple Leafs

that's my best guess for the time being. if malkin plays 90% as well as he did last year (and I don't see why he wouldn't) and neither he or crosby miss any major time I don't think anyone's coming close to pittsburgh...

John Torturella 09-18-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 15491364)
The Pens are way too hard to predict, in my opinion. A lot of roster turnover and the loss of Hossa (which was the one thing that made them a lot scarier -- as the Rangers stuck with them most games before his acquisition).

The Flyers are the class of the Atlantic right now, in my opinion. Though I'm never going to be sold on their goaltending (as I see Biron as a 2nd class starter), their depth is unmatched.

The Devils will be solid simply based on Brodeur. They have relatively nothing of note besides him, but the addition of Rolston will certainly help this year in their offensive category.

The Islanders are the Islanders. Cellar dwellers who will steal some games now and then based really only on Dipietro. Horrible team that's been perpetually rebuilding for the last decade.

The Rangers, like the Pens, are going to be extremely hard to predict. We can either do really great if the chemistry comes early, or we can be battling for 8th place at the trade deadline if it doesn't.

Prediction:

1. Flyers
2. Devils*
3. Rangers/Pens
4. Rangers/Pens
5. Islanders

I see them finishing ahead of us for chemistry reasons alone. We will likely be able to handle them in the season and post-season yet again, in my opinion. But their chemistry is already there with a lack of real turnover and it will greatly help their team that simply doesn't have many great pieces outside of Brodeur.

If the Pens lose Crosby or Fleury for any extended amount of time, I really cant see them finishing higher than 3rd or 4th in the division.

nyr2k2 09-18-2008 10:13 PM

1. Flyers
2. Rangers
3. Penguins
4. Devils
5. Islanders

EvilCorporateLawyer 09-18-2008 10:17 PM

People are seriously underestimating what the Devils will likely do this year.

I don't see us finishing ahead of them yet, at the same time, I see us beating them soundly in the regular season and in the playoffs if we meet up there.

But their ingrown chemistry will do wonders for them and give them a real head start over teams like the Penguins and Rangers.

nyr2k2 09-18-2008 10:24 PM

How long before Devils, Penguins and Islanders fans jump over here to tell us how we're homers for picking the Rangers above their respective favorite?

King Isles 13 09-18-2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 15491543)
How long before Devils, Penguins and Islanders fans jump over here to tell us how we're homers for picking the Rangers above their respective favorite?

imo theres no way that you guys dont finish ahead of us. its kills me to write this, but its true. :cry:

Bury Your Head 09-18-2008 10:27 PM

Pens
Philly
Rangers
Devils

Islanders

NYR Viper 09-18-2008 10:35 PM

philly
rangers
devils
pens
isles

although the top 4 will make the playoffs

SupersonicMonkey* 09-18-2008 10:44 PM

I'm going to be unpopular with mine…

Montreal
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay
Rangers
Washington
Pittsburgh
New Jersey
Florida

Ottawa
Buffalo
Carolina
Boston
Toronto
Atlanta
Islanders

Florida is my dark horse.

TheHotRock 09-18-2008 10:53 PM

i'm surprised that a lot of you are selling the pens short. they have solid d, above average goalie, a decent enough supporting cast.....and oh yea, 2 of the best 3 offensive players in the game. not saying i don't think we might be able to take them in a playoff series, but i see them taking the division.

pens
rangers
flyers
devils
isles

EvilCorporateLawyer 09-18-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 15491543)

Islanders fans are not really that dumb.

Very annoying, but not dumb.

SupersonicMonkey* 09-18-2008 11:03 PM

There is only one thing that is certain about this season…

The Red Wings are on an echelon by themselves.

The rest of the league is up for grabs. I think the Habs will win the East (regular season) and go to the Conference final.

Beyond that, who the heck knows, every team is somewhat of a mystery. It's a crap shoot.

The Red Wings were scary last year, imagine the same team but add Hossa... yeesh.

EventHorizon 09-18-2008 11:31 PM

Devils
Penguins
Flyers
Rangers
Islanders

It's a very tight race for the division and only the Isles miss the postseason.

beastly115 09-18-2008 11:35 PM

Hate to be the pessimist but I don't think we're going to be very good this season.

Pens
Flyers
Devs
Rangers
Isles

In The Flesh 09-18-2008 11:44 PM

Flyers
Devils
Pens
Rangers
Piles

Like others have said, Flyers are a deeeeeeeeeeep team, Devils will be good, aaaaaaaagain. Like Jon said, I think we'll handle em, but against the rest of the league, the Devils will be a very good team. Their D personal is so sad, but sadly for us, they're still good. The Pens lost a bit, but with another yr under their belt, Crosby, Malkin, Staal, etc, etc, they're still a good team, will contend for sure. Now us, honestly, I see us being very inconsistant, Lundqvist is going to need to have a venzia yr, I see a TON of 1-0, 2-1, 3-1 games, with a lot NOT going in our favor. THe team is new, no real chemistry, and I don't see us hitting stride, if at all until mid Jan/Feb. I think we'll sneak into the PO's, 7th/8th, but going any further, I don't know. THe Piles stink.

Rangers go:

2-4 against the FLyers
3-3 against the Pens
5-1 against the Devils
3-3 against the Piles

CharlestownChiefsESC 09-19-2008 12:15 AM

pens
rangers
flyers
devils
islanders

chosen 09-19-2008 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motime42 (Post 15491404)
If the Pens lose Crosby or Fleury for any extended amount of time, I really cant see them finishing higher than 3rd or 4th in the division.

And if the Rangers lose Gomez or Lundqvist for any extended amount of time?

Inferno 09-19-2008 01:41 AM

im going to start working on my writeup in like 30 minutes for my site.

KSUpilot 09-19-2008 01:52 AM

1. Flyers
2. Pens
3. Rangers
4. Devils
5. Islanders

I think it is going to be close between the Pens, Rangers, and Devils, with the Flyers in a somewhat comfortable first position.

Inferno 09-19-2008 04:10 AM

flyers are almost 5 mil over the cap right now, thats a concern of mine for them (Assuming nhlnumbers is correct).

they are going to have to dump 1 or 2 rather large contracts.

FromTheSide 09-19-2008 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey (Post 15491939)
There is only one thing that is certain about this season…

The Red Wings are on an echelon by themselves.

The rest of the league is up for grabs. I think the Habs will win the East (regular season) and go to the Conference final.

Beyond that, who the heck knows, every team is somewhat of a mystery. It's a crap shoot.

The Red Wings were scary last year, imagine the same team but add Hossa... yeesh.

Actually same team
minus drake
plus hossa.

nineteenforty* 09-19-2008 08:54 AM

just my .02cents.. the rangers only owned the devils last season. so dont make it seem like its always going to be like that. somehow the devils seem to surprise everyone year after year....dont count the pens out and dont overrate philly becaue they havent proved anything yet.

devils
pens
rangers
philly
isles

DevFan-RU- 09-19-2008 09:24 AM

I am surprised at the level-headed predictions here.

I agree with Jon and many of you. The Devils are the same team but with some offensive additions on their top and bottom lines. D is still the same but could be a bit younger and grittier if a guy like Corrente makes it. Plus Marty is Marty.

As usual, our season head to head will be tough for both teams. I personally feel last season was a bit of an exception. This year may be a bit closer (4-2, 3-3)

Penguins will be OK and will provide a great deal of difficulty. Depending on MAF and their D, it's make or break.

Flyers should be good again.

Isles... ouch.