HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Carey Price's potential (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=553211)

BulldogFever 09-19-2008 08:23 PM

Carey Price's potential

Carey Price has an amazing pedigree, World Junior Championship, Calder Cup Championship, 5 th overall draft pick, etc... The big question is what's his potential? I don't want to put anymore pressure on the kid, but what do people think he's career will be like?
He reminds me a lot of my hero growing up - Ken Dryden - big, athletic. quick
12-15 yr. career, 3 Vezinas, 2 Jennings, 4 cups.
He has the talent, he's going to have great talent in front of him. Wait until his defensive corps is McDonagh, Weber, Subban, Komisarek, Markov, Valentenko, Carle, O'Byrne? Fisher?
And Halak might be not that far away!

TheCH* 09-19-2008 08:26 PM

Amazing pedigree?

I know his dad was a goalie, but he wasn't amazing.

Joey 09-19-2008 08:30 PM

As silly as it is to say these words so early in his career: I believe he has Hall of Fame potential

ed ible* 09-19-2008 08:53 PM

They are going to retire #33 this year for a reason......................It has to be done before #31 makes him look foolish.................:nod:

JMMR 09-19-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed ible (Post 15500573)
They are going to retire #33 this year for a reason......................It has to be done before #31 makes him look foolish.................:nod:

That would be awesome.
Price wins 8 cups and 6 Conn Smythe.

They would lower Roys #33 if he did that and allow him to wear #9 on occasion (as per the request of the Richard family)

Analyzer 09-19-2008 09:05 PM

He will be gods. Yes, gods as in more than one

OnePoll* 09-20-2008 03:05 AM

http://www.lsw.uni-heidelberg.de/use...k_you_rule.jpg

lasainteflanelle* 09-20-2008 10:50 AM

41 shutouts...all at home :sarcasm:

Monctonscout 09-20-2008 12:03 PM

Price will be as good as he wants to be. He can be an above average goalie in the NHL just on talent and size alone. If he wants to be a Roy or Brodeur he will have to be mentally tough and keep working at his craft and constantly push himself. Rollie is a great coach to have if you look at his track record.

ChemiseBleuHonnete 09-20-2008 12:29 PM

I'm not saying he will become that, but he could be the best goalie in the league during his prime.

Tad Mikowsky 09-20-2008 12:58 PM

I really think that he'll be the next Brodeur/ Luongo, of this era. Possible Hall of Fame, if not a bit early.

anarmandaleb 09-20-2008 01:23 PM

Honestly, it all depends on him and how he takes care of his game, mentally and physically. I'd say Brodeur/Luongo status is not impossible but it would take a lot of work on his part.

Fish on The Sand 09-20-2008 01:32 PM

I think carey price's could potentially be ont eh ebst goalies to lace up pads.

Roulin 09-20-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowstorm (Post 15505132)
I really think that he'll be the next Brodeur/ Luongo, of this era. Possible Hall of Fame, if not a bit early.

Only 3 goalies aged 21 or less have ever put up a save % of .915 or more: http://www.hockey-reference.com/pp/p...order_by=goals

Jee 09-20-2008 01:36 PM

definitely better than Latendresse.

kovalev47 09-20-2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed ible (Post 15500573)

There never will be another Roy, especially in a salary cap era.

Beakermania* 09-20-2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kovalev47 (Post 15506780)
There never will be another Roy, especially in a salary cap era.

How does a salary cap mean there won't be a goalie as good as Patrick Roy?? Does not compute.

There will never be a team as good as the 1977 Canadiens in a salary cap era. Agree.
There will never be a player as good as player X because of the salary cap.... Makes no sense dude. I don't see how the salary cap diminishes the talent of one player.

Prospector 09-20-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffonfire (Post 15505507)
definitely better than Latendresse.

Ahhh ... The famous post #15 ... lolll :laugh:

Joey 09-20-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roulin (Post 15505499)
Only 3 goalies aged 21 or less have ever put up a save % of .915 or more: http://www.hockey-reference.com/pp/p...order_by=goals

wow...very interesting

HabsGuy19 09-20-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roulin (Post 15505499)

Awesome comparison, that gets me pumped.

Bobby G 09-20-2008 04:50 PM

He has the potential to walk on water, especially after losing all that weight.

kovalev47 09-20-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakermania (Post 15506802)
How does a salary cap mean there won't be a goalie as good as Patrick Roy?? Does not compute.

There will never be a team as good as the 1977 Canadiens in a salary cap era. Agree.
There will never be a player as good as player X because of the salary cap.... Makes no sense dude. I don't see how the salary cap diminishes the talent of one player.

Well it depends on your definition of a great goalie is. In my definition, they need either a high save percentage in comparison to other goalies, multiple Stanley Cups, Conn Smyth trophies or some combination of the 3 characteristics identified above.

I know a lot of people consider Luongo to be a great goalie. However, I feel that he is only a good goalie in comparison to goalies such as Roy, Hasek, and Brodeur etc. My reasoning is that he doesn't dominate the current NHL goalies in save percentage nor does he have multiple Stanley Cup rings nor does he have a multitude of Conn Smyth wins. With the salary cap era, it would be pretty tough for any current goalie to top 3-4 Stanley cups combined with 3 Conn Smyth trophies in my opinion. Without those type of criteria, it's pretty difficult for me to justify putting any current goalie in the NHL in the same level as the Roys, Brodeurs, Haseks etc. I just don't see any objective way of putting any of the current goalies on the same level as the goalies of the past. Yeah I know I have really strict standards ;)

HellasLEAF 09-20-2008 06:40 PM

I do recall the endless complaints at the drafting of Price 5th overall. I think it's fare to say Hab nation has it's tale between it's legs on that one.

Cary Price has the potential to be as good as...Carey Price. :sarcasm:

Joey 09-20-2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kovalev47 (Post 15507941)
Well it depends on your definition of a great goalie is. In my definition, they need either a high save percentage in comparison to other goalies, multiple Stanley Cups, Conn Smyth trophies or some combination of the 3 characteristics identified above.

I know a lot of people consider Luongo to be a great goalie. However, I feel that he is only a good goalie in comparison to goalies such as Roy, Hasek, and Brodeur etc. My reasoning is that he doesn't dominate the current NHL goalies in save percentage nor does he have multiple Stanley Cup rings nor does he have a multitude of Conn Smyth wins. With the salary cap era, it would be pretty tough for any current goalie to top 3-4 Stanley cups combined with 3 Conn Smyth trophies in my opinion. Without those type of criteria, it's pretty difficult for me to justify putting any current goalie in the NHL in the same level as the Roys, Brodeurs, Haseks etc. I just don't see any objective way of putting any of the current goalies on the same level as the goalies of the past. Yeah I know I have really strict standards ;)

So because Luongo's teams generate no offense, he is a worse goalie than if they did? What do you want him to go out and score goals too? Being a good goalie means stopping the puck and making dominant saves -- things he does. Just because the rest of the team sucks doesn't mean he is only "good" compared to other goalies

Do you even play hockey? If you had a great goalie would you say he'd be better if your line scored enough to win that game? What are you smoking? And how many people have a "multitude" of Conn Smythe wins?

By your definition of needing awards to be considered "great", I guess you could say Crosby is not great yet because well he only got to the finals and didn't win the Cup. Oh Ovechkin's not great he only made the playoffs once

EDIT: and even though you completely ignore it, he does fit some of your bogus criteria...
"My reasoning is that he doesn't dominate the current NHL goalies in save percentage"
well how many goalies get .931sv% while playing 73 games for a team that doesn't make the playoffs?

kovalev47 09-20-2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 15508434)
So because Luongo's teams generate no offense, he is a worse goalie than if they did? What do you want him to go out and score goals too? Being a good goalie means stopping the puck and making dominant saves -- things he does. Just because the rest of the team sucks doesn't mean he is only "good" compared to other goalies

Do you even play hockey? If you had a great goalie would you say he'd be better if your line scored enough to win that game? What are you smoking? And how many people have a "multitude" of Conn Smythe wins?

By your definition of needing awards to be considered "great", I guess you could say Crosby is not great yet because well he only got to the finals and didn't win the Cup. Oh Ovechkin's not great he only made the playoffs once

EDIT: and even though you completely ignore it, he does fit some of your bogus criteria...
"My reasoning is that he doesn't dominate the current NHL goalies in save percentage"
well how many goalies get .931sv% while playing 73 games for a team that doesn't make the playoffs?

Sorry but Luongo is nowhere close to Roy, Brodeur or Hasek status. If he had the teams that the three goalies had, where is the guarantee he would win anything? There is no guarantee he could win on the teams that Brodeur and Hasek were on. I doubt Luongo could handle the pressure in Montreal like Roy did.

You actually think Crosby and Ovechkin can be put in the same category as Gretzky and Lemieux? They would not be considered great compared to players such as those. Maybe in 20 years they will be, but at the moment they aren't.

Luongo did that only 1 season. One season doesn't describe a career. I'm interested to know what the other goaltenders save percentages were that season. Also around 2001 or so is where teams started playing a lot better defensively so goalies' stats improved. Another user on this forum had mentioned this before.

You actually are going to argue that Roy did not deserve his Conn Smyths?:shakehead
Stanley Cups and Conn Smyths are not just any "award."