HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Hurricanes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Bruins O'Neill Proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=55348)

weaponomega 02-24-2004 08:02 PM

Bruins O'Neill Proposal

(Oh crap, another O'Neill proposal) :p

Hey Cane's fans. I've noticed that you've shot down almost every proposal that has come your way concerning O'Neill.

What would you consider a fair deal from the Bruins for O'Neill?

I was thinking Jillson, 2004 and 2005 Second Round Picks, Huml, No?

Plan 9 02-24-2004 08:07 PM

Not too bad, but I still say if that's all we can get I'd rather keep him. That's only my opinion though; I'm not the GM.

Skydog 02-24-2004 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weaponomega

Exactly

bleedgreen 02-24-2004 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macabre
Not too bad, but I still say if that's all we can get I'd rather keep him. That's only my opinion though; I'm not the GM.

agreed. i think thats why we shoot them all down, very few offers make any of us happy to see him go.

DaveG 02-24-2004 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weaponomega

Hey Cane's fans. I've noticed that you've shot down almost every proposal that has come your way concerning O'Neill.

What would you consider a fair deal from the Bruins for O'Neill?

I was thinking Jillson, 2004 and 2005 Second Round Picks, Huml, No?

the best I've seen in a while. That said I think I'd still rather keep Jeff.

jeffbear 02-25-2004 08:45 AM

Just for the record ...

It's my feeling and apparently the position of the Canes front office that IF they trade O'Neill, there MUST be a potential franchise player in return. Whether than's a top 10 overall draft pick or a REAL prospect or just a younger version of O'Neill ... doesn't really matter.

That position makes it all but certain that O'Neill will not be moved IMO.

Sam I Am 02-25-2004 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffbear
Just for the record ...

It's my feeling and apparently the position of the Canes front office that IF they trade O'Neill, there MUST be a potential franchise player in return. Whether than's a top 10 overall draft pick or a REAL prospect or just a younger version of O'Neill ... doesn't really matter.

That position makes it all but certain that O'Neill will not be moved IMO.

A potential franchise player? O"Neill will never fetch that kind of prospect...even from the Mike Milbury's of this world. Get real.

bp13 02-25-2004 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam I Am
A potential franchise player? O"Neill will never fetch that kind of prospect...even from the Mike Milbury's of this world. Get real.

<BR>

I have no idea why you'd expect to get a franchise player for O'Neil. That's just lunacy.

Unless our definitions of "franchise" differ greatly.

Seems to me if you coud get the equivalent of a #1 pick plus a solid prospect or a young proven NHL player (Jillson), you'd be getting equal value. Now it may be the case you'd rather have O'Neil, which personally makes sense to me, but you couldn't get a team to give up a current O'Neil equivalent for him, and you certainly won't get anything close to a current "franchise" player. It just will never happen.

As a Bruins fan, I would love to have O'Neil. But if I were Rutherford I'd hold out for two blue chip prospects in return. Guess we'll just have to see if someone is dumb enough to offer that.

bleedgreen 02-25-2004 03:09 PM

emphasize the word "potential" in the original quote people. he means a player to be part of a core they build around these next few years. its not too much to ask for. its what oneill has been, and will be wherever he goes.

bp13 02-25-2004 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen
emphasize the word "potential" in the original quote people. he means a player to be part of a core they build around these next few years. its not too much to ask for. its what oneill has been, and will be wherever he goes.

<BR>

It may be the case that he's been sold as a "franchise player" to fans in Carolina and previously Hartford. I worked for the Whale when he came in, so I'm aware of the buzz he generated. But the facts are this:

He's 28
He averages 71 games per season over his nine seasons, and
he's a .61 points per game forward

He may be fiery, he may have leadership qualities, and he may have a nice goal scorer's touch, but .61 PPG does not a "Franchise Player" make. He's simply not that great.

I don't disagree that he's probably worth more to Carolina than you could fetch on the open market. Heck, I'd love to have him. But you won't get anything close to a "potential" franchise player for him. Those are guys like Bouwmeester, Brewer, Ryder, Bergeon, etc. You wouldn't get any team to give that up for .61 PPG.

bleedgreen 02-25-2004 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bp13
<BR>

It may be the case that he's been sold as a "franchise player" to fans in Carolina and previously Hartford. I worked for the Whale when he came in, so I'm aware of the buzz he generated. But the facts are this:

He's 28
He averages 71 games per season over his nine seasons, and
he's a .61 points per game forward

He may be fiery, he may have leadership qualities, and he may have a nice goal scorer's touch, but .61 PPG does not a "Franchise Player" make. He's simply not that great.

I don't disagree that he's probably worth more to Carolina than you could fetch on the open market. Heck, I'd love to have him. But you won't get anything close to a "potential" franchise player for him. Those are guys like Bouwmeester, Brewer, Ryder, Bergeon, etc. You wouldn't get any team to give that up for .61 PPG.

to get a player you think can make a difference in getting your team the cup, you have to take chances. i dont think for a second i am diluted about oneills value. i was there in hartford, im still around now, and im not the one calling him a franchise player. im just saying that a team might have to give a a future player that ends up being a franchise type. was datsyuk a franchise player before half way thru last year? hes 26, isnt he? if they traded oneill for datsyuk a couple of years ago you would have said the canes got hosed. thats my point on what they are asking for. what you think a franchise player is IS different in this case - we're talking about guys who arent there yet...you talk of guys who are there (or close). maybe the canes think mark stuart is a "franchise player" and try to get him from the bruins for oneill. is he a leading scorer - no, but maybe he becomes a captain and a leader and for what we're talking about here-a "franchise player". i think you are jumping on the bandwagon too soon on ryder and bergeron. remember samsonov's rookie year? everyone thought he was going to be better than thorton. how about smolinski? i still dont think he ever equaled his early success. i think bergeron will be a solid scorer for years - but there is no guarentee he will ever surpass his numbers this year, same with rider. you may be seeing their high end now, as far as offensive production goes.

jeffbear 02-25-2004 04:28 PM

Jeez guys ... just gloss over the word POTENTIAL altogether and jump right on down my throat why don't you?

No matter the perception of O'Neill he is Carolina's LONE PROVEN scorer and he makes a reasonable $3 million a year ... there's no way he walks out of here without a hefty return ... because there's no compelling reason to trade him in the first place.

bleedgreen 02-25-2004 04:33 PM

i had no problem with what you said in the first place. i think its reasonable to expect a player back that will be a big part of the team.