HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Rachunek and another blown lead (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=55359)

Human Megaphone 02-24-2004 09:30 PM

Rachunek and another blown lead

Sweet God...

We used to be money in the bank with a one goal lead in the third. At least Juneau potted the empty net so we don't blow another one goal game.

More importantly I realize that Karel blocked 3 shots and tried to make up for it, but how many games have we lost in the last minute with this guy on. Put Leschsyn on, he at least tries to make smart plays. Why didn't he fall on the puck and get a delay of game?

I am obviously really pissed so take this with a grain of salt, but I really don't like seeing Karel on the ice with time left.

Egil 02-24-2004 09:36 PM

If their is one of the 6 guys on the ice who can't be blamed for that goal, it is Rachunek, and yet what happens? You blame him because of some mythical boogeyman that causes problems. If Rachunek holds onto the puck, the paid off officials probably give him a delay of game call, like they did to Chara for sliding into the net. Which is why he didn't do that.....

V for Voodoo 02-24-2004 09:37 PM

Come on, he blocked three shots in a span of 20 seconds, and you know that first one hurt like a mother.

porknbeans 02-24-2004 09:41 PM

deflecting blame

Egil: you seem to like to deflect all blame from Lalime every game and blame the refs every game. May I ask you why this makes you feel better and why its logical?

gbl1p 02-24-2004 09:42 PM

Don't know how all you folks feel about it, but I thought that Lalime played well tonight. Clearly his puckhandling skills are rock bottom worst I've seen, but it looked like he had some life tonight. He made some great saves. Those pesky habs just kept coming, and my favorite ref Stephane Auger had no problem helping them out. I f**cking hate Auger. One of the best games I've seen all year, despite the outcome.

Anyone else see that Palmolive line on for a bit at the end ?

Human Megaphone 02-24-2004 09:44 PM

Fair enough

I concede the point that he was at least trying, he did block three shots, but a delay of game would have been better than a goal, or throwing it to the corner instead of the waiting defenceman.

Admittedly I am still really pissed about blowing a chance to a least gain a point on the division. More importantly I still fail to see why Ottawa can't play as defensive as we used to. This run and gun stuff is simply not our style. Yes we have the best offense in the East, but so do the Rangers. We got to be an elite team by playing sound defensive hockey. I would like to see us return to that. So while I may be writhing with loathing for the players on the ice at the time, including Rachunek, I would will bite my tongue and instead propose a return to better defensive hockey.

Sting 02-24-2004 09:53 PM

This wasn't Rachunek's fault at all..in fact I thought he played good in the 3rd. It was moreso the lack of getting people out in front. I think Chara had an overall bad game...perhaps his first of the year. I was very dissapointed with Pothier and Leschyshyn...I think its time Muckler got another solid D-man like Smith or Carney. If we're going to unload someone, let it be Pothier.

I don't think the Sens played an overly bad game, and other than that one goal Lalime was great. Payer continues to impress me...he was excellent tonight. Also, this was yet another terribly officiated game. Hossa's penalty was questionable, as was the one the Canadiens player took on Redden. A Canadiens D-men should've gotten a delay of game for closing his hand on the puck in the last 2 minutes, and I don't know if Chara intentionally went into the net.

Oh well...they're gonna have to step it up on Thursday in a BIG way.

Egil 02-24-2004 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scaredsensfan
Egil: you seem to like to deflect all blame from Lalime every game and blame the refs every game. May I ask you why this makes you feel better and why its logical?

I don't blame the refs every game, but facts are facts.

a) The refs had shown a decided bias through 59 minutes of the game
b) The refs had already called on complete BS delay of game call
c) Rachunek blocked three shots in the sequence, so I fail to see how blaming him for the goal makes sense (the goal you could blame him for was the 2nd Ryder goal, where he bow-legged it, which, you will note, he did not DO at the end, ie, he learned).
d) Blaming the goaltender is the chickens way out, and it is why management and Martin don't do it. Ottawa is good enough to beat Montreal with the worst goalie in the AHL, IF they played their A game (which they didn't). Ottawa is good enough to beat half the league with the worst goalie in the AHL, if they bring their A game. Blaming the goalie for losing a game where any player not named Havlat, Bondra and Fisher were playing like crap, is rediculous.
e) I rarely blame the refs, and I certainly only do it when I get to watch a game, like tonight. And let me tell you, tonight, they were CRAP. All 5 penalties called in that third period should not have been called. Many actual penalties (BOTH WAYS) were missed.

Quantas 02-25-2004 12:11 AM

For a 36 year old, Bondra can sure teach a lot of the Senators about hustling on every play. So far, his work ethic is second only to Alfredsson.

Any surprise that the winning goal was scored with Spezza and Havlat on the ice? Sure some of the penalties against the Sens were iffy and yeah, they did hit 2 posts but that still doesn't excuse them for letting in the winning goal with 40 seconds left in the game. Why was Redden all alone in front of the net fighting off 3 Canadiens? Why is Hossa invisible for stretches at a time? Why aren't they dangerous 4-on-4? Why does this team continue to throw away chances to increase their lead over the Leafs?

This isn't a knee-jerk reaction to tonight's game, it's just that it's all so frustrating and it's been going on for a while. They lost 2-1 to NJ earlier, then 5-3 to Dallas before the break and now 4-2 to Montreal. At the very least, they could have had 3 more points than they currently do. When are they going to learn how to defend a lead? I have a nasty feeling they're going to regret blowing all these chances.

As for the PK, I think it's just a matter of too many new people who don't know how to work together. Bondra, Fisher, Vermette and Payer all played the PK recently and that to me is the biggest reason why this team has given up 6 PP goals in 5 games.

Egil 02-25-2004 12:26 AM

The key thing that I think has happened with many of these blown leads is that we really didn't deserve to have a lead in the first place. This game, and the Dallas game, we played like crap for most of the night. The team is sleepwalking through ALOT of games, which is fine by me, but I think that is the root cause of these blown leads, the lack of effort overall.

BingoSensFan 02-25-2004 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egil
The key thing that I think has happened with many of these blown leads is that we really didn't deserve to have a lead in the first place. This game, and the Dallas game, we played like crap for most of the night. The team is sleepwalking through ALOT of games, which is fine by me, but I think that is the root cause of these blown leads, the lack of effort overall.

Why, exactly, is this fine by you? You want them to lose? You don't care that they try hard? You don't care that people pay money to go and watch them play only to witness an effort that is less than great? Do you think the team is just going to "turn it on" in the playoffs?

Myself, I'm worried about this team. Too many questions.

Human Megaphone 02-25-2004 04:01 AM

So I went to the bar and blew off the steam, had a great time and such. I wholeheartedly suggest the maritimes to everyone.

I started this thread frustrated with Rachunek, alot of you have disagreed, which is the point of all this. BSF has raised what was really the kernel of my complaint, in that I don't think things have come together for the team this year as they normally do. We should be able to beat the habs, regardless of how theodore plays. We only had 20 shots, without Souray we should be getting a lot more. I, like most longterm sens fans, know that on paper this is the best team we have ever iced. To lose any game we should win is frustrating, but to lose so many games in which we have the lead is even more so. I am not convinced we can just turn it on in the playoffs, and I think we need a better effort out there. Fisher and Bondra generally seemed like, at least tonight, they were the only ones moving. The whole team should be playing it out. A return to a more defensive system is needed. Guys like Havlat and Spezza are great to see play, but they do cost us, I know some people like to see goals and creative plays, and I am not against that, but I would always rather watch a win.

sensfan18 02-25-2004 09:25 AM

I think the blowing of the leads is now become 97.9% mental. You can just sense at the end of the game that all them start to tighten up. I have no idea why JM continues to put Redden/Rachunek out there for the final minute, it confuses me to no end. I'm not down on Racoon for lastnight however, he blocked 3 shots in a row, he was about the only one doing anything out there. Why JM, oh why do you not put our Norris Trophy contender (chara) and Phillips out there for the last minute, I'd be much more comfortable with that. The last minute of the hockey game you need physical presence, which neither Rachunek or Redden bring, they are not soft but they don't compare to Big Z and Philly.

As far as the Spezza/Havlat combo being out there, that was a complete brain fart and probably the most obvious reason why a goal was scored. I don't care how good they play during the game or how far their defensive game as come, they should not, I repeat NOT be out there in the final minute.

BTW, I've noticed my main man Marian Hossa just isnt' the same without Bonk, I think it is just that his comfort level is down with out HRRRRadek. But overall I'm not worried, Hossa is streaky and always will be. I'd rather him slumping now than in say April.

Capt Tuttle 02-25-2004 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Human Megaphone
Sweet God...

We used to be money in the bank with a one goal lead in the third. At least Juneau potted the empty net so we don't blow another one goal game.

More importantly I realize that Karel blocked 3 shots and tried to make up for it, but how many games have we lost in the last minute with this guy on. Put Leschsyn on, he at least tries to make smart plays. Why didn't he fall on the puck and get a delay of game?

I am obviously really pissed so take this with a grain of salt, but I really don't like seeing Karel on the ice with time left.

I agree with you. Again last night he was sprawled on the ice, down and out. You can tell me he blocked 3 shots if you want, but you can't skate or get the puck out on your arse. He managed to get up and back in front of the net only to run to the point, out of position, to try and block the shot again. This time Montreal slid it by him to the 2 or 3 Canadiens in front. Having said that, somebody asked me where everyone else was on that play and they're right. It takes all 6 players out there to get scored upon but Rachunek seems to be involved far too often in these games where they've blown some much needed points.

Other Dave 02-25-2004 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tuttle
I agree with you. Again last night he was sprawled on the ice, down and out.

Come on, he was down and out because he blocked a shot. He was in perfect position and stayed there even after he was face down and in pain.

The 'blown lead' story is overblown anyway, it's only happened a half dozen times this season. Half of those lost 'one goal games' are games where the Sens fought to within one but couldn't pull up even.

A bigger concern is that the team is now willing to injure themselves rather than let Lalime do his job - Bonk, White and now Rachunek. I've been in favor of standing pat all season, despite Lalime's obvious struggles, but if the team's own confidence in him is THAT low maybe Mucks should be looking for a replacement. Any replacement.

Other Dave

SensGod 02-25-2004 10:05 AM

Anyone who blames Rachunek needs to spend 2 minutes in the box for brain farting...sorry...but Rachunek was a < Pierre McGuire Voice > MONSTER last night.

go back to the highlights of last nights game...go to the 2nd Ryder goal, and tell me that Lalime was challenging and square to the shooter and didn't go down early.

If you can do that...I don't blame Lalime for the loss.

As for the Refs...you're playing the Habs in Montreal...you have to be prepared for stuff like that. I fell off my sofa and threw a pillow at my TV on that delay of game penalty on Chara.

Sting 02-25-2004 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Other Dave
Come on, he was down and out because he blocked a shot. He was in perfect position and stayed there even after he was face down and in pain.

The 'blown lead' story is overblown anyway, it's only happened a half dozen times this season. Half of those lost 'one goal games' are games where the Sens fought to within one but couldn't pull up even.

A bigger concern is that the team is now willing to injure themselves rather than let Lalime do his job - Bonk, White and now Rachunek. I've been in favor of standing pat all season, despite Lalime's obvious struggles, but if the team's own confidence in him is THAT low maybe Mucks should be looking for a replacement. Any replacement.

Other Dave

This wasn't Lalime's fault. At all. Lalime kept them in the game at times...the Sens just stayed back and let Lalime get pounded the entire game. The effort was simply not there...there was maybe ONE occasion where a good scoring chance was available. The other times they just shot and went back on defense. You aren't going to win games like that and they'll step it up vs. the Flyers I'm sure.

Capt Tuttle 02-25-2004 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Other Dave

Other Dave

I almost said the same thing as you about their confidence in Lalime. Is that why they're sprawling and desperately trying to block shots. Again, you can tell me all you want that he blocked a shot(s), but I didn't think Rachunek looked good in the last minute.

SensGod 02-25-2004 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting004
the Sens just stayed back and let Lalime get pounded the entire game.

Huh? POUNDED? he faced 27 shots! he let in 3 goals on 27 shots!!! that's a 0.900 save percentage. That's not good for a supposed "elite" goalie.

You want to see a team let their goalie get pounded...start watching some Panthers games.

Capt Tuttle 02-25-2004 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensGod
Anyone who blames Rachunek needs to spend 2 minutes in the box for brain farting...sorry...but Rachunek was a < Pierre McGuire Voice > MONSTER last night.

go back to the highlights of last nights game...go to the 2nd Ryder goal, and tell me that Lalime was challenging and square to the shooter and didn't go down early.

If you can do that...I don't blame Lalime for the loss.

As for the Refs...you're playing the Habs in Montreal...you have to be prepared for stuff like that. I fell off my sofa and threw a pillow at my TV on that delay of game penalty on Chara.

I came within a whisker of saying how I thought Lalime did not look good on the 2nd goal, but I didn't want to get into that. You're right, he should not have gone down to his knees, short side, before the shot. Niether do I want to crap all over Rachunek but again, I didn't think he looked good in that last minute. Rachunek has a bad habit of often leaving his feet to try to block a pass/shot. Can I cite each time, no, but Thornton recently walking around a sprawled Rachunek from behind the net stands out in my mind as does last night. I won't get into last year's New Jersey game.

So he was McGuire's monster. So what? Does that mean McGuire is always right? Does that mean I'm solely blaming Rachunekfor the loss? I was commenting on the last minute of play. Again, Rachunek stands out in my mind when thinking of poor decisions.

Edit: Circumventing of the obsenity filter is not allowed

Calorissi 02-25-2004 10:42 AM

Rachunek frustrated me last night as well, but it was because he was working hard and sacrificing for the team, but was not using his brain on that last goal.

He was playing defence and yet he rushed the point to block the first shot; the one that injured him. Questionable judgement, because it meant that Redden was overmatched at the net, but it showed that he was willing to take one for the team. He took the shot without doing a flamingo.

That was when the problems started. He had control of the puck after the blocked shot. He did not look up to see his teamate who was comming over to help him and pass him the puck. He tried to push the puck off the boards and out of the zone with the Montreal defenseman there. Not the smartest play.

He then made it to his knees (good heart), and did a kick save on the next shot. He was on his knees and again, knowing that he would not be effective, he did not freeze the puck. He instead wiffed on the clearing attempt. The refs knew that he was hurt, and would have been hard pressed to give him a penatly. Even if a penalty would have been called, the Sens were running around in their own zone and a scoring chance was inevitable. Freeze the puck!

Rackunek then knew that he again made a mistake, and got up, tired to chase down the puck carrier and then went back out to the point to block a shot again. This one he missed.

There were two Hab forwards in front of Lalime. Redden is hard pressed to move one on a good day, so Lalime had little chance. Sure the puck when through the 5 hole, but that is the weakness of a butterfly goaltender.

The Habs should not have had the chance to take the third shot from the point.
The Sens should not have had our softest defensive pairing out at that stage of the game.
Rachunek should have frozen the puck.

That is what frustrated me.

Capt Tuttle 02-25-2004 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calorissi
Rachunek frustrated me last night as well, but it was because he was working hard and sacrificing for the team, but was not using his brain on that last goal.

He was playing defence and yet he rushed the point to block the first shot; the one that injured him. Questionable judgement, because it meant that Redden was overmatched at the net, but it showed that he was willing to take one for the team. He took the shot without doing a flamingo.

That was when the problems started. He had control of the puck after the blocked shot. He did not look up to see his teamate who was comming over to help him and pass him the puck. He tried to push the puck off the boards and out of the zone with the Montreal defenseman there. Not the smartest play.

He then made it to his knees (good heart), and did a kick save on the next shot. He was on his knees and again, knowing that he would not be effective, he did not freeze the puck. He instead wiffed on the clearing attempt. The refs knew that he was hurt, and would have been hard pressed to give him a penatly. Even if a penalty would have been called, the Sens were running around in their own zone and a scoring chance was inevitable. Freeze the puck!

Rackunek then knew that he again made a mistake, and got up, tired to chase down the puck carrier and then went back out to the point to block a shot again. This one he missed.

There were two Hab forwards in front of Lalime. Redden is hard pressed to move one on a good day, so Lalime had little chance. Sure the puck when through the 5 hole, but that is the weakness of a butterfly goaltender.

The Habs should not have had the chance to take the third shot from the point.
The Sens should not have had our softest defensive pairing out at that stage of the game.

That is what frustrated me.

Pretty well what I was thinking. Looking at my last post, I wished I hadn't mentioned the NJ game. Do I like Rachunek, yea, but he stands out in my mind for making bad decisions.

SensGod 02-25-2004 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calorissi

...and go to the box for delay of game...yeah...that would have made a bad situation even better...

Calorissi 02-25-2004 10:59 AM

The Sens were running around in their zone and when that happens, they lose focus, get out of possition and we get scored on. That has happened many times this year. Rachunek was injured. We were already effectively playing 5 on 4. He tried hard to get back into the play, and I commend him for it, but he was a pylon after getting injured. Our line was running around and tired. If he got the penalty, Chara and Philips would have been fresh and able to attempt to kill the penalty.

Sometimes it is better to take the penalty, and rely on your teammates to kill it off.

Other Dave 02-25-2004 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting004
This wasn't Lalime's fault. At all. Lalime kept them in the game at times...

I agree with you that this loss wasn't the goalie's fault.

The other thing that Sens fans (myself included) are loathe to admit is that sometimes the other team wants it more. I think the Habs played some great great hockey last night and deserved the win.

Other Dave