HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   just my opinions (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=554478)

Dagoon44 09-23-2008 11:19 PM

just my opinions

Anisimov is way overrated at this point and is a year or more away.

Fredrik Sjostrom great speed amazing shot but just doesn't seem to be there all game long very spotty

Jamtin Avery my A@@ guy was nowhere couldn't stick in wing organization and not going to NY.

Pock enough of this guy already not a NHLER

Fahey hasn't looked to confident at all with the puck.

Voros love his size and hustle and always in front of the net

Dubinsky future captain enough said

Parenteau great shot and hands good hustle

Korpikoski is the real thing

JayMan82 09-24-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagoon44 (Post 15550109)

Fredrik Sjostrom great speed amazing shot but just doesn't seem to be there all game long very spotty

Jamtin Avery my A@@ guy was nowhere couldn't stick in wing organization and not going to NY.

Definite kudos for Parenteau (I REALLY hope he makes the team), Korpikoski (Midseason callup after averaging a point per), Voros, Dubinsky, Potter and Del Zotto so far...

frozenrubber 09-24-2008 12:46 AM

Frederik Sjostrom is the most overrated Ranger since Marcel Hossa.

NYR Viper 09-24-2008 12:55 AM

anisimov---renney was dead-on when he said he needs to gain about 10 lbs of muscle....the kid has the skills and you can see the type of game he plays but he needs that extra strength to play it in the nhl....one more year for him in the AHL will do him wonders

korpikoski----has looked very good so far, put out in all situations, which bodes well for him and his speed translates well to the NHL as he is normally one of the faster skaters on the ice with only playing 1 NHL game....it all depends on what the rangers are looking for from their former first-rounder....a borderline second liner who can pk and cause problems with his speed or a solid second line player who can use his size, strength and speed to beat defensemen to the outside.....to me he needs another season in the AHL not because he isnt ready but because i feel like he needs a lot of ice time in order to gain the confidence he needs to become the player he should become.....

potter---wow, i will say i am very very surprised with this guys poise on the blue-line....the play he made today to toe-drag around a sliding malone to get a nice shot away is something i havent seen a rangers d-man do since leetch(which is sad).....he has great lateral movement and has good size....seems to need to bulk up a bit but plays well positionally....to me he should be the 6th defenseman on this team right now because of the steady play he has shown but he needs to keep it up in order to move kalinin/mara out of the way

del zotto---very very impressive camp for this kid....before the draft i was one of the people who wanted the rangers to draft a big bruising defenseman.....to my chagrin they drafted del zotto, who, although very very talented, is far from what i wanted......i am eating my words right now as this kid looks amazing.....his poise is beyond his years and his decisveness is what catches my eye.....he is very confident with the puck for such a young player....he holds nothing back and he is surprisingly good inthe defensive end.....to me he needs one more year of seasoning in the OHL getting 25-30 minutes a night and playing in every situation but i would understand if the rangers want to keep him around for the first 10 games to give him a taste of the nhl.....very impressed that the rangers were able to grab him at #20

sanguinetti---seems like people have forgotten their "new toy" of a few years ago....sangs has changed himself as a player and you can tell he is trying to concentrate on the defensive end....he makes nice plays from what i have seen of him in the first two preseason games and does still have that offensive ability that he was drafted for....he looks to have bulked up over the offseason which im sure is a good thing but he seems to have lost a step in the process...probably more the problem of him trying to gain some muscle before playing against grown men in the AHL(which is a good thing in the long run).....to me he needs another year in the AHL and if he can regain that step he had before while keeping his size he should be ready next season.....the thing i like about sangs is his passing....it is very underrated and the one thing i have noticed during this camp is that sanguinetti and del zotto are not the same type of player.....del zotto is a more speed-oriented player who can move the puck well and has good lateral quickness(rafalski, boyle like) and sanguinetti is more of a shooter and a player who uses his speed to join the rush(leetch, bourque)
------disclaimer-----obviously neither of these players are there yet and may never get there i am just trying to classify there playing styles

parenteau---to me he has been very very impressive....great vision, great hands, the one thing he doesnt have is great speed but on a team with a lot of speed already i think he sould fit in well.....the problem is where does he fit in?......with players like prucha, sjostrom, voros, rissmiller, etc.... a player like parenteau will have to outshine enough of them to get a spot on one of the top-3 lines because he is not a 4th line player.....the one area that i believe he would really help in is with the pp because of his poise with the puck....he is very calm and always plays with his head-up which impresses me a great deal

byers----so far as been okay....i am hoping he can turn into the rangers version of an Ott, or an Avery but i feel like he has a ways to go....he needs to add a lot of speed in order to be a factor on every shift....he has the strength to battle down low in the nhl and i like his nose for the net but his speed to me is holding him back, which is unfortunate because the rangers need as much grit as they can get.....

jessiman---so far, in the one game he has played, he looks a lot better than last preseason....his balance is much improved and i like how he is using his size along with his speed to work hard down low and cause problems for opposing defenseman....to me high's ticket to the nhl is as a 3rd or 4th liner.....he needs to work on his acceleration/quickness but i like what i see so far.....plus size can not be taught and he has a great attitude....i hate saying it because i know people will riticule me but i think hugh needs one more season in the AHL and he will be a regular next season......the improvement he has shown since two years ago is amazing and his size would be a great compliment to the smaller players the rangers have currently.....i dont remember who said it but someone on here made a good point a while back saying the way hugh scores goals and gets points would translate very well to the nhl....if he gets 40 points in the AHL he could realistically get 40 points in the NHL just because those same goals are there for the taking in the same spots in both leagues.....im really pulling for jessiman

jamtin---from the one game i have seen from him he does seem like a viable option for the 4th line....surprisingly i like the way the guy plays....he plays with grit and snarl and mixes it up which is a good thing for a team whose top-6 is most likely going to be very soft.....i saw a few good bursts of offense tonite but i would like to see more from him but i feel like the one position this organization doesnt need more of is bottom line wingers and that is where he should play.....3rd/4th line but i think one year in the AHL would benefit him

DutchShamrock 09-24-2008 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenrubber (Post 15550798)
Frederik Sjostrom is the most overrated Ranger since Marcel Hossa.

I don't get statements like this. Everyone hated Hossa. People say the same thing about Prucha being overrated... he is constantly bashed. No one really bashes Sjostrom but I don't see alot of praise. Basically Dagoon's comment is the general concensus.

Unless you mean overrated by the organization in which case you'll be eating crow when he gets sent to Hartford this season.

Turambar 09-24-2008 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugerya (Post 15551625)
I don't get statements like this. Everyone hated Hossa. People say the same thing about Prucha being overrated... he is constantly bashed. No one really bashes Sjostrom but I don't see alot of praise. Basically Dagoon's comment is the general concensus.

Unless you mean overrated by the organization in which case you'll be eating crow when he gets sent to Hartford this season.

He means that Sjostrom is overrated by the fans, especially around here. People just think he's some great player because he can skate fast and score a goal every once in a while. Now that he scored last night, the overrating will get even worse, it'll be "Sjostrom was the only guy who could score when the Rangers needed it!". Some people insisted on pencilling him into a 1st-line spot in their line combos over the last few months, which is just a joke. There's a reason this guy frustrated the hell out of the Yotes organization (and Gretzky in particular), and that's because he's the epitome of inconsistent.

Sjostrom has had a poor camp, from all I've seen and gathered. Even with the goal last night, I don't see him making this team.

blue2noise 09-24-2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

Those are some massive, career changing observations you made after 9 periods of hockey

offdacrossbar 09-24-2008 08:11 AM

Quote:

arty needs to play alot in hartford this year and he will.

i actually really like sjo- as a 4th liner cause that what he is.

not as high on pap. good hands and all but to me hes jason krog.

agree on korpedo. if he doesnt make this team ill be bumed

SingnBluesOnBroadway 09-24-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Seems to Byers could become an Avery type.

DutchShamrock 09-24-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrJeff (Post 15551739)
He means that Sjostrom is overrated by the fans, especially around here. People just think he's some great player because he can skate fast and score a goal every once in a while. Now that he scored last night, the overrating will get even worse, it'll be "Sjostrom was the only guy who could score when the Rangers needed it!". Some people insisted on pencilling him into a 1st-line spot in their line combos over the last few months, which is just a joke. There's a reason this guy frustrated the hell out of the Yotes organization (and Gretzky in particular), and that's because he's the epitome of inconsistent.

Sjostrom has had a poor camp, from all I've seen and gathered. Even with the goal last night, I don't see him making this team.

You are always going to see some fans doing that, you have to toss out the best and worst reviews and judge the impression from the level-headed majority... kind of like olympic judging. The vast majority of fans have Sjostrom slotted in the 4th line, others have him as high as the 3rd with probably the same amount having him out of the lineup completely. Sjostrom had a good season for us last year but his bad camp is forcing many to turn their attention to Voros, Parranteau and Korpikoski.

Blueshirt Brawler 09-24-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 15552142)
Seems to Byers could become an Avery type.

Actually Byers is more like Hollweg, Jamtin is supposed to be more like Avery. Jamtin supposedly has better offensive skills than Byers but we really cannot make that assessment after watching him in just one game.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 09-24-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler (Post 15554954)
Actually Byers is more like Hollweg, Jamtin is supposed to be more like Avery. Jamtin supposedly has better offensive skills than Byers but we really cannot make that assessment after watching him in just one game.

I would hope that Byers would provide more offense than Hollweg. And shouldn't be hard to do.

Bird Law 09-24-2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 15554990)
I would hope that Byers would provide more offense than Hollweg. And shouldn't be hard to do.

I certainly think he will.

SupersonicMonkey* 09-24-2008 01:42 PM

Quote:

I agree on all, but Anisimov.

He is not overrated. Being overrated and not ready are two different things. He is definitely not ready yet. But you can clearly see he has a high level of hockey sense and he has skill.

Get a little stronger, which is what Renney alluded to, and then he would be fine.

Fletch 09-24-2008 03:08 PM

Jamtin's not 'supposed' to be like Avery. He was compared to Avery in the sense that he's a pain in the butt. I believe the comparison ends there. They forgot to mention Avery's NHL production compared to what they think Jamtim can do.

As for Byers vs. Avery...I don't see Byers as an agitating pain in the butt. I hope he can become a third line grinder who will take the body, occasionally get into a fight, and provide the amount of offense you'd expect from a third liner. Still don't know what he's capable of doing at the NHL level offense-wise, but he seems to continue to improve (although I seem to recall his first half not being great last season).