HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Burns to Aeros (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=55796)

ceber 02-25-2004 11:22 PM

Burns to Aeros

Conditioning stint! Nice move, in my opinion. A bit of a loophole, maybe, but one worth taking advantage of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by <a href="http://www.startribune.com/stories/1330/4629628.html">End of article on Darby trade</a>
Burns in AHL

Rookie Brent Burns will be assigned to Houston of the AHL today for a three-game conditioning stint. Burns has not played since Jan. 31, a total of eight games. He will dress for the Aeros tonight in Milwaukee, Friday in San Antonio and Saturday in Houston, then rejoin the Wild on Sunday, said assistant GM Tom Lynn.

theo6060 02-25-2004 11:49 PM

I guess there goes the chances of him going back to the Battalion. I really thought he should have played there this year. He would have had a lot of success IMO on a line with Wojtek Wolski.

Bandwagoner 02-26-2004 03:14 PM

Sorry for asking this, but I thought that Burns had to return to Juniors if he wasn't with the Wild. Isn't there an age restriction on North American players for the AHL? I mean, there was all the talk about how Marc Andre Fleury couldn't play in the AHL, I am just wondering if someone could tell me how Burns is able too. That would really help me out. Thanks

theo6060 02-26-2004 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandwagoner
Sorry for asking this, but I thought that Burns had to return to Juniors if he wasn't with the Wild. Isn't there an age restriction on North American players for the AHL? I mean, there was all the talk about how Marc Andre Fleury couldn't play in the AHL, I am just wondering if someone could tell me how Burns is able too. That would really help me out. Thanks

You are right. The AHL works like this. A North American player must have either played 4 years in the CHL or be 20 years of age. Fleury went to the Q because he doesn't fit either criteria. Burns doesn't fit either criteria either, but is only being sent down for condition, which apparently is okay.

Bandwagoner 02-26-2004 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theo6060
You are right. The AHL works like this. A North American player must have either played 4 years in the CHL or be 20 years of age. Fleury went to the Q because he doesn't fit either criteria. Burns doesn't fit either criteria either, but is only being sent down for condition, which apparently is okay.

Okay, thanks a lot, there must be a limit on the number of "conditioning" games he can play down there or something.

DW 02-26-2004 03:52 PM

From what I hear, he'll only be playing the 3 games this week then he's back up to Minnesota. I think Ceber said it was a "viral infection" over at wild.com.

It looks bad for Burns with the "shoulder injury" a few months ago and now this. it looks like he's injury plagued at the ripe old age of 18. ;) :D

ceber 02-26-2004 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DW
From what I hear, he'll only be playing the 3 games this week then he's back up to Minnesota. I think Ceber said it was a "viral infection" over at wild.com.

I mentioned that in the gameday here. I think it was in the Pioneer Press.

I almost added a *wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say no more!* to it, but thought maybe the league would start checking into things a little too much if I did that. :)

DW 02-26-2004 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceber
I mentioned that in the gameday here. I think it was in the Pioneer Press.

I almost added a *wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say no more!* to it, but thought maybe the league would start checking into things a little too much if I did that. :)

See, I knew it was you.

Flames Draft Watcher 02-26-2004 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandwagoner
Okay, thanks a lot, there must be a limit on the number of "conditioning" games he can play down there or something.

Two weeks if I recall correctly. And the player must agree to the conditioning stint.

Flames did the same thing with a 19 year old Regehr after he came back from his car accident injury. Spent a few games in the AHL and then became a full time NHLer.

Hecht 02-26-2004 08:37 PM

I think I'm going to Saturday's game...I'll try and bring back a decent report.