HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Composite shaft + wooden blade? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=558417)

Thefalkon 10-05-2008 03:39 PM

Composite shaft + wooden blade?

Does anyone have a 2PS with a composite shaft + a wooden blade? I was wondering because I play street hockey and the court is going to be asphalt, and I don't want to waste money on a composite stick. If anyone does, how do they feel? Like are they blade heavy?

cptjeff 10-05-2008 03:43 PM

I've used one in the past. The blade is heavy, but if you're on asphalt you have no choice. Using a composite blade on that is a really bad idea- it'll become worthless faster and cost more money to replace.

It's certainly usable and gives a nice feel for the puck.

Toonces 10-05-2008 04:00 PM

Try and get one of those fiberglass blades for street. Wood is a bad idea, as the blade will quickly split, and wood chips will begin pouring out from it. The fiberglass blades will wear down, but you won't have issues with the blade falling apart in pieces.

iceman_88888888 10-06-2008 01:43 AM

easton makes a hybrid fiberglass/wood blade specifically for street hockey... but i'm not too sure if they're still selling or not. anyways, they're pretty nice and lightweight as well. i had one for an old two-piece and it was just a little blade heavy but not enough to notice.

deanosaur 10-06-2008 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonces (Post 15702914)
Try and get one of those fiberglass blades for street. Wood is a bad idea, as the blade will quickly split, and wood chips will begin pouring out from it. The fiberglass blades will wear down, but you won't have issues with the blade falling apart in pieces.

Those Hybrid Synthese blades (not sure if they're still around) cost just as much as fibre/wood blade and are I think best thing for street hockey.

Thefalkon 10-06-2008 01:51 PM

Thanks for the responses :)

NYRSinceBirth 10-06-2008 02:07 PM

http://hockeymonkey.com/easton-syner...-blade-sr.html

I use that, the Easton ABS blade in a Z-Bubble. Not too heavy, doesn't wear down to quickly either. Plus it's cheap and comes in the best curve ever, Forsberg.

Thefalkon 10-06-2008 07:19 PM

Anybody use a 3K blade? I'm leaning towards that because I love my 5K shaft.

WhipNash27 10-07-2008 02:59 PM

I've had lots of wood experiences with street hockey, the thing tears apart in no time and splits. You have wooden spears coming out the bottom of that thing.

Brodeur 10-07-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonces (Post 15702914)

Definitely summed up my thoughts. There should be Koho and Easton ABS blades for $15. I've recommended the CCM Vector blades to folks in my league, either the older V20 model or the current V2.0 go for about $20-25. I personally like the CCM ones since they'll have at least 3 choices in curves whereas the Koho/Easton ones only offer one. I recently loaded up on CCM V110 blades (used to go for $50+) for $18 to use on asphalt.

These blades will throw off the balance with a composite shaft, but realistically while you're playing you probably won't notice.

Brodeur 10-07-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRhockey16 (Post 15720457)
Anybody use a 3K blade? I'm leaning towards that because I love my 5K shaft.

3K blade is pretty solid, off the top of my head it's like $25-$29. My friend and I bought the same pro return Mission shaft. He put a 3K blade in there and I put a composite Easton blade, and they both felt very balanced.