HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Habs in Paris next year? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=559324)

Naoned 10-08-2008 04:19 AM

The Habs in Paris next year?

This morning's french newspaper L'Equipe is reporting ongoing talks between the Habs and the french federation. Both sides are discussing the possibility to organise a preseason game with the Canadiens. Boivin allegedly promised the Habs will come to Paris within two years, but september 09 is strongly considered.

The article (in french)

Les Canadiens de Montréal à Paris?
La franchise canadienne de NHL et la Fédération française sont en contact pour organiser un match à Bercy l’an prochain.
Les Canadien de Montréal vont-ils poser leurs patins à Paris ?

HabsDood 10-08-2008 05:10 AM

Not if Paris doesn't give us our F1 race back immediatelly..:pout:

We do have a contract till 2011.. Stupid FIA...:shakehead

btw.. Why France? Is hockey big there? Do they know Christo is gone?

I get it! It's no coincidence at all.. It's called "chantage".. :sarcasm:

Naoned 10-08-2008 05:35 AM

No, hockey is not big here in France. It has its hardcore fans, but most sports fans only care about football/rugby/tennis/F1. That said, Bercy will be full for an NHL game, no problem.
And I'll give you the F1 GP in a nanosecond, I really don't care.

FrenchHabs 10-08-2008 06:21 AM

Man that would just be one of the best days of my life :yo:

I feel like a kid jumping around before Xmas. Trust me, whatever team the Habs would play, the stands would be full of Canadiens jerseys everywhere. Many French people support either the Canadiens or the Red Wings from my experience.

I'm sure you'd even hear many Olé Olé songs !!

habsprospects 10-08-2008 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naoned (Post 15739543)
Bercy

Where?

beowulf 10-08-2008 07:00 AM

Not exactly the typical place to play an NHL hockey game. Maybe because Gainey started his coaching career there?

HabsDood 10-08-2008 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thief50 (Post 15739779)
Where?

You don't know Bercy?:sarcasm:

It's home to alot of special events, like F1 drivers go-karting ect..

Whitesnake 10-08-2008 07:54 AM

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...VpifvoFWcx7b8w

Sthabs 10-08-2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thief50 (Post 15739779)
Where?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POPB

Palais Omnisports Paris Bercy

One of the most versatile complex? in europe, but not the biggest tho, max ppl there would be would be probably less than 15 000.

I was reading in another thread Helsinki (would be cool for Koivu) and Dublin was a possibility too.

But Paris would still be awesome...

Whitesnake 10-08-2008 09:06 AM

We wouldn't be the home team if we play Chicago though....;)

brownman* 10-08-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sthabs (Post 15740457)
One of the most versatile complex? in europe, but not the biggest tho, max ppl there would be would be probably less than 15 000.

How many did they have in Stockholm and Prague, 12000?

Pascal 10-08-2008 09:27 AM

How about Cairo or Rio de Janeiro while we're at it? There's a couple of better cities I can think of, like oh... Quebec City, Winnipeg, Hamilton..

Qui Gon Dave 10-08-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownman (Post 15740601)
How many did they have in Stockholm and Prague, 12000?

Not sure about those games, but I think we managed 18,000 in London a year ago, can't remember the exact number, might have been a bit more.

http://hfboards.com/picture.php?albu...&pictureid=922

The way people travelled around the world for the London games, I have no doubt you could fill any arena in Europe for an NHL game, between any two teams. There would always be people interested in it.

Fido22 10-08-2008 09:45 AM

Nice move.

:handclap:

Bryzga lol* 10-08-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido22 (Post 15740821)
Nice move.

:handclap:

agreed, you never know popular hockey could become after a game like that.

Ozymandias 10-08-2008 10:19 AM

"Oh mon dieu, l'as-tu vu passer LE peuck???" "Ah ouais, il est la bombe ce Covy"

*Shivers*

ON another note, we should really, really, really do a game in Madagascar, really.

Just kiddin.

BadKiwi 10-08-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozymandias (Post 15741152)
"Oh mon dieu, l'as-tu vu passer LE peuck???" "Ah ouais, il est la bombe ce Covy"

*Shivers*

ON another note, we should really, really, really do a game in Madagascar, really.

Just kiddin.

They don't say peuk... or rondelle... it's a "palet", I think. (to pronounce "pas laid")

So they'd sound more like this : Ce Brisebois est un très bon joueur de hôckè, il envois régulièrement le palet directement sur la palette de l'adversaire.

BLONG7 10-08-2008 10:32 AM

Briser could be their tour guide...:sarcasm:

HabsOfSteel 10-08-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 15740652)
How about Cairo or Rio de Janeiro while we're at it? There's a couple of better cities I can think of, like oh... Quebec City, Winnipeg, Hamilton..

You're missing the point of these non-NHL cities games, which is to promote the NHL in Europe.

Tricolore#20 10-08-2008 10:34 AM

If this actually happens, I think it would be tremendous. While hockey does not have a presence in Paris--apparently hockey that is played in France is played along the communities in the Alps--it would be interesting nonetheless, and may interest some locals. Aside from the French hockey fans, there are thousands of Canadians living in Europe who would attend this game in Paris, since it is very accessible.

I'm all for the NHL playing games in foreign countries. If there is a rink that enables it, I'd love to see games all over the world, and YES, that includes Cairo and Rio De Janeiro. Hockey suffers internationally for several reasons, namely cost. However, exposure can increase the games profile. Hell, the NFL is more watched in Asia than the NHL, and its not like people in Asia are playing tackle football. I generally think the hockey community is very closed minded about spreading the game (eg: NHL trying to pull out of the Olympics after 2010, to even the widespread paranoia that the Soviets were actually a strong team in 1972), and that's why the game lacks popularity across the world. Let's get this game to the rest of the world, and stop being so insular. The game will benefit ultimately, and championships like the Stanley Cup and the Olympic gold medal will mean so much more. Plus, we have seen in Europe especially how football teams like Real Madrid, Manchester United and Chelsea have benefited by making agreements with communities across the world. They have built a brand for their teams. The Montreal Canadiens are a team with a similar history, and a similar cache. It's time to get that message out to the rest of the world.

Ozymandias 10-08-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadKiwi (Post 15741287)
They don't say peuk... or rondelle... it's a "palet", I think. (to pronounce "pas laid")

So they'd sound more like this : Ce Brisebois est un très bon joueur de hôckè, il envois régulièrement le palet directement sur la palette de l'adversaire.

I thought they had Americanized that word by now. :sarcasm: (oh and I know how palet is pronounced)

"Qu'il est cannon ce Covy!"

I still shiver at the thought.

Essentially, I have really bad vibes, all related to that French guy in the Olympics who does the figure skating . "il s'avance... oh oh, et c'est le triple bouque piquet!!!!!!!"

Newhabfan 10-08-2008 10:35 AM

I don't know, there are tons of places worse for a team to spend some vacation / bonding time then Paris. All seems to indicate that next year the league will ask the Habs to do what the 4 teams did this year.

And I would rather have them play 1-2 preseason games in Paris then 2 official games in Slovakia.

Mustafa* 10-08-2008 10:37 AM

Actualy the colors of the CH are inspired by the French tricolor flag.

BadKiwi 10-08-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozymandias (Post 15741332)
I thought they had Americanized that word by now. :sarcasm: (oh and I know how palet is pronounced)

"Qu'il est cannon ce Covy!"

I still shiver at the thought.

Essentially, I have really bad vibes, all related to that French guy in the Olympics who does the figure skating . "il s'avance... oh oh, et c'est le triple bouque piquet!!!!!!!"

Maybe they did... Last time I spoke with a frenchy though, it took me a while to understand he was talking about the puck and not the "palette". All kidding aside I think it's a great idea. Hockey is the coolest sports in the world, it's time to let the world know.

RC51 10-08-2008 10:42 AM

Maybe the Habs can pull off a Ecclestone move.
They will play a game in the city that wins a world wide bidding war.
Sit back and have Dubai fight it out with Singapore or Monaco.
Actually I like that Monaco idea, charge them 50Mil for the ONE game.