HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gaborik Rumor Thread Part I (Pednault and Eklund) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=559405)

Artyukhin* 09-18-2008 02:48 AM

Gaborik Rumor Thread Part I (Pednault and Eklund)

so say Mr Pierre Mcguire . He called Tangauy to Habs ages before we landed Tanguay.

So how do we all feel "IF" it is to go down with Gaborik ,What the heck do we give up , who is leaving town??How would we fit his 6.33 million cap hit into the line up?

Ive read Lebrun say "Stay tuned. We might get some early-season drama here."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre

I think you get the distinct impression that if a deal is not agreed upon before the start of the regular season, the Wild will seriously contemplate moving Gaborik, who is slated for unrestricted free agency July 1. And you know what? That's what they'll have to do if they can't get him locked up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

CareyPrice x 31 09-18-2008 02:52 AM

Did anyone else hear McGuire say this?

Artyukhin* 09-18-2008 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96 (Post 15483231)
Did anyone else hear McGuire say this?

i guess the thing to keep in mind is the word "persuing"

just remember "pursuing" Mats Sundin we did also and ended up no where .

But having said that the Gaborik situation seems like its near a breaking point thats seems now well known.

I couldn't Imagine who we would have to send "roster players" but im sure its goona have to be a shocker

Our team is pretty quick as it is . Imagine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxSr1JzP99A

Clumsyhab 09-18-2008 04:32 AM

The only way I see Gaborik with us is at the trade deadline if we are a strong contender and Gainey goes all-in. However it would cost a lot to get him, like what it took to Pens to get Hossa last season. Something like Higgins, Latendresse and Fisher.

I don't think that this could happen at all and I truly that it won't, but if somebody tells me tomorrow that Habs just got Gaborik, the first name I see going to the Wild is no other than Saku Koivu (+ another roster player like Latendresse/Higgins and a good prospect like O'Byrne/Fischer).

Blades 0f Steel 09-18-2008 04:34 AM

We've got our own Gaborik in Andrei Kostitsyn.

RC51 09-18-2008 04:54 AM

Think ahead folks. Gaborik wants a big long term deal and the Habs have a ton of UFA for next year. Gainey will have to think about who he wants to keep and resign.
Koivu might want a change or someone else might not fit long term Gainey plans and Gaborik might fit better then some currently here.

A lot depends on who brings his A game every night this year.

GNick42 09-18-2008 05:05 AM

Maybe Komi for Gaborik at the deadline, if we cannot resign Komi

AK 09-18-2008 06:11 AM

So, where exactly will Montreal be coming up with the cap space for this move? Trade Kovalev and Higgins for him?

It will never happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GNick42 (Post 15483446)
Maybe Komi for Gaborik at the deadline, if we cannot resign Komi

Now let's think about that for a second...

Do you honestly think Minny would give up their best player for another UFA? No they wouldn't. It would take something like A. Kostitsyn and a throw in.

ed ible* 09-18-2008 06:18 AM

Well he is LW which we have lots of.................I just hope Bob doesnt do a Paccioretty for Gabby deal like he did Iginla for Neiuwandyke.

Ross MacLochness 09-18-2008 06:25 AM

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

TCIH 09-18-2008 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed ible (Post 15483550)
Well he is LW which we have lots of.................I just hope Bob doesnt do a Paccioretty for Gabby deal like he did Iginla for Neiuwandyke.

Agreed. We all saw how that trade turned out for Dallas... not something I'd wish upon my worst enemy.

JaymzB 09-18-2008 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCityIsHockey (Post 15483574)
Agreed. We all saw how that trade turned out for Dallas... not something I'd wish upon my worst enemy.

:laugh::laugh:

Yeah, I'd hate for that fate to happen to Montreal.

waffledave 09-18-2008 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed ible (Post 15483550)

Gaborik is 26...Not exactly an aged veteren. And he scores 40+ goals in a defence first system. I'd do it, as much as I like Patches.

Haddock 09-18-2008 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WWGRD (Post 15483538)
Now let's think about that for a second...

Do you honestly think Minny would give up their best player for another UFA? No they wouldn't. It would take something like A. Kostitsyn and a throw in.

Depends on when the trade would take place. At the start of the season, a return like that would make sense. During the season, or at the deadline, no player like A Kost would be going for an upcoming free agent. Just look at the Hossa trade. They got assets, but no player in that category.

Lone Rogue 09-18-2008 07:33 AM

No thank you.

Gaborik is very talented, but he is extremely injury prone and scores goals in bunches, instead of being clutch every game. Again, this isn't me knocking him because we got better, I just don't think the return would ever be worth it.

Jeffler 09-18-2008 07:35 AM

"29 teams interested in getting high profile player that is available"

Jeffler 09-18-2008 07:37 AM

Quote:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...cM6ha/340x.jpg ?

Though they get ripped off long term, I'm sure they'll take winning the cup thanks to the Conn Smythe Winner as a secondary prize.

obcd1 09-18-2008 07:39 AM

Quote:

Yeah Dallas won the cup... terrible

Judge Sauer* 09-18-2008 07:46 AM

Of course Gainey is interested, so are 28 other GM's in the league. A player of gaborik's calibre won't come cheaply. Higgins is one of the first names that come to mind, mainly because he seems like a Lemaire type of player. He can put up points but he's still reliable defensively. A high pick will go as well along with a moderately good prospect as the Habs pick probably won't be that high. Of course, this is not enough room in our cap syatem to keep gaborik, so unless a high priced player is going to Minny, someone(s) is going for a cheap exit trade or going on waivers.

Freaky Habs Fan 09-18-2008 07:54 AM

If we can sign Gaborik to a long contract, go for it and give what they want...but I wouldn't trade valuable assets to have Gaborik for one season with a stacked line-up like we have...

GNick42 09-18-2008 08:01 AM

We have plenty of fire power now....Gaborik is good but will force too many moves

Pascal 09-18-2008 08:06 AM

Surprised Eklund didn't come up with this one. It's absurd.

HomaridII 09-18-2008 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 15483923)
Surprised Eklund didn't come up with this one. It's absurd.

Why is it absurd? Minny is having huge problems signing him, we have a lot of UFA and RFA next year, so Gaborik long term is a possibility. IF we send someone like Higgins + the other way, it opens up the wing spot for Gaborik to play on our top 2 lines and Minny gets a very good young player who will consistently score 25-30 goals, be very defensively responsible and earn far less $$$.

Mats NAslund 09-18-2008 08:19 AM

Latendresse 1st round pick David Fisher

Habs 4 Life 09-18-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mats NAslund (Post 15484001)
Latendresse 1st round pick David Fisher

Sold ,That would be great