HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Watters, Kyprios, Stelleck:Gonchar...DON'T DO IT!! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=56105)

txpd 02-26-2004 09:17 PM

Watters, Kyprios, Stelleck:Gonchar...DON'T DO IT!!

I saw Watters and Stellack and Kyprios between periods of the game tonight. They all seem to think McPhee's price for Gonchar is too high. They say get a rental.

What a hoot.

rnyquist 02-26-2004 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd
I saw Watters and Stellack and Kyprios between periods of the game tonight. They all seem to think McPhee's price for Gonchar is too high. They say get a rental.

What a hoot.

If its true they're demanding an established young player ,a blue chip and a first, that's bs, and WAY too expensive!

neelynugs 02-26-2004 09:24 PM

i hope mcphee shoots himself in the foot on this one. greed always catches up to you, and i'd love to see it happen here to the caps. i bet caps fans would be pretty annoyed if gonchar were to get hurt in one of the next few games, when GMGM could've already pulled the trigger on a good deal

BlueAndWhite 02-26-2004 09:25 PM

I'd love to have Gonchar on the Leafs but the latest *supposed* offer of Antropov, Colaiacovo, a 1st (and possibly more) is too rich for the Leafs.

I'd do Colaiacovo + something (a first ? another prospect?) for Gonchar in a heartbeat - and I think that kind of deal is something that the Caps should seriously consider.

EroCaps 02-26-2004 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnyquist
If its true they're demanding an established young player ,a blue chip and a first, that's bs, and WAY too expensive!

Maybe TO is better off thrift shopping, it sure has worked out for them in the past!

:p

friesen12 02-26-2004 09:28 PM

Quote:

What a hoot.

Yeah but think about it. Antropov who can use all of his tools on the ice,and a 1st for a guy who is great but is average in his own zone. But that hole thing about a rental is stupid. The Leafs have tried that and it got them knocked out of the first round. Not to mention they got mostly guys who had so called experience but not really the playing hard and hustling thing which is the most important part.Which I'm sure we all know.

txpd 02-26-2004 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnyquist

Gonchar is by far the best offensive defenseman in the NHL. no one else is close.
Stajan has 61 NHL games, Cola has 4 NHL games, and the draft choice zero.
There are hopes and projections that these players are going to be good, but the truth is there are more disappointments and more outright busts than there are players that meet their projections.

Gonchar is the best in the league at what he does. There is no gambling with him.

CNote 02-26-2004 09:28 PM

Quote:

What a hoot.

i honestly don't know if there's a worse tv hockey crew out there....if they're saying that GMGM's price is too high it's almost certainly the total opposite. toronto media.....lololololol

EroCaps 02-26-2004 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
I'd love to have Gonchar on the Leafs but the latest *supposed* offer of Antropov, Colaiacovo, a 1st (and possibly more) is too rich for the Leafs.

I'd do Colaiacovo + something (a first ? another prospect?) for Gonchar in a heartbeat - and I think that kind of deal is something that the Caps should seriously consider.

two promising assets for one sure-fire, elite, impact player?

I'd think again.

BlueAndWhite 02-26-2004 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EroCaps
two promising assets for one sure-fire, elite, impact player?

I'd think again.

I wouldn't. The Leafs would be depleted horribly if they gave up Antropov, Colaiacovo, their first and more for JUST Gonchar.

It makes no sense from the Leafs perspective. Colaiacovo and a 1st is something that is MUCH more reasonable.

Charge_Seven 02-26-2004 09:33 PM

Quote:

What a hoot.

Maybe the people within the hockey loop are right...ever think of that? You seem to only be willing to look at the reports out of Washington and agree completely with them saying Gonchar should/will go for nothing less than a top pick, youth, and prospect. Most reports from outside of Washington have all been two out of those 3 things. Maybe the 29 other teams in the NHL just won't pay market value...but if that's true, then what defines market value? The price the market is willing to pay, or the price the seller deems he's worth? McPhee can ask whatever he wants for Gonchar, and may very well get it. I personally would never listen to Stellick on his trade advice (see his history...Russ Courtnall ring a bell?), Watters is a decent guy, but kinda reminds me of the Penguin, so he scares me. Kypreos is the most knowledgeable of all the guys there, as he's played, and knows the game.

I think that the Gonchar deal is one that needs to be looked at, I don't like the asking price, but that's what it is, an ASKING price. JFJ needs to try to hammer down a deal that works for both teams, but I see McPhee winning the battle of the wits for these two GMs as Ferguson may hit the panic button too early....time will tell.

IWD 02-26-2004 09:33 PM

Quote:

Gonchar is the best in the league at what he does. There is no gambling with him.

Good. Then keep him.

Orv 02-26-2004 09:33 PM

I wouldn't listen to anything Watters says. He's a clown!! :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker:

Charge_Seven 02-26-2004 09:35 PM

Quote:

Maybe TO is better off thrift shopping, it sure has worked out for them in the past!

:p

Yeah, a Caps fan wants to talk past success...hmmm...all my fingers are busy counting the Leafs cups...do you guys even need both of your thumbs? (or any for that matter...?)

EroCaps 02-26-2004 09:36 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't. The Leafs would be depleted horribly if they gave up Antropov, Colaiacovo, their first and more for JUST Gonchar.

It makes no sense from the Leafs perspective. Colaiacovo and a 1st is something that is MUCH more reasonable.

how would they be "depleted horribly"? they'd be giving up ONE roster player...

they'd still have several quality prospects on O and D.

I don't even want Antro. IMO McPhee is holding out for Steen, Colia. and a 1st.

EroCaps 02-26-2004 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregStack
Yeah, a Caps fan wants to talk past success...hmmm...all my fingers are busy counting the Leafs cups...do you guys even need both of your thumbs? (or any for that matter...?)

Your reply was totally irrelevant.

BlueAndWhite 02-26-2004 09:40 PM

Quote:

how would they be "depleted horribly"? they'd be giving up ONE roster player...

they'd still have several quality prospects on O and D.

I don't even want Antro. IMO McPhee is holding out for Steen, Colia. and a 1st.

I meant in terms of the future and the present (combined).

You're on crack if you think Gonchar is going to fetch Steen, Cola and a 1st.

Charge_Seven 02-26-2004 09:40 PM

Quote:

Your reply was totally irrelevant.

Yeah? You brought up our past, stating that our ways had not brought us success, I believe would be a fair and accurate way to take what you said. All I did was point out that to talk success you must have at one point achieved it.

EroCaps 02-26-2004 09:44 PM

Quote:

Yeah? You brought up our past, stating that our ways had not brought us success, I believe would be a fair and accurate way to take what you said. All I did was point out that to talk success you must have at one point achieved it.

To talk about Toronto's past success and trade deadline strategy, my favorite team must have had success at some point in it's history?

completely illogical.

EroCaps 02-26-2004 09:45 PM

Quote:

Now tell me why.

Poignant Discussion 02-26-2004 09:50 PM

Put it this way. Gonchar has gotten the Capitals how far in the playoffs? How far is he going to take the Capitals this year in the playoffs?

Thats right he's not

The proposal is stupid. Walk away and let the Capitals keep him. Its not like they are a threat to make the playoffs for the next 5 years anyways.

Gonchar has stated he wants to play for Toronto. Last player that said that and didnt get his way, sure caught on fire with his new team did'nt he?

He will be dealt to Toronto after someone puts down the crack pipe and accepts a fair offer.

Or let someone else have him, he is not really what we need anyways

leafaholix* 02-26-2004 09:50 PM

Quote:

Now tell me why.

Because no team in the history of hockey has moved their #1 and 2 prospects for a player that isn't an absolute necessity.

Verbal Kint* 02-26-2004 09:52 PM

Quote:

Now tell me why.

Because we aren't giving up our top 2 prospects and a 1st for a guy that we won't have next year thanks to arbitration

Minos 02-26-2004 09:52 PM

Quote:

Kypreos is the most knowledgeable of all the guys there

Ouch, thats really saying something about the other two :joker:

Poignant Discussion 02-26-2004 09:53 PM

Quote:

Take out the 1st and Toronto "considers" it

Cola and Steen

maybe toss in a lessor defense prospect and get a third back or Grier