HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Where do we go from here? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=561614)

Gardner McKay 10-13-2008 11:59 PM

Where do we go from here?

With this tragic passing of Cherepanov, one must wonder what will the Rangers organization do now?

We just lost our most elite prospect in a long time. A player who broke Bure's record for goals by a rookie and surpassed Malkin, Ovechkin, and Kovalchuk as points by a rookie.

This is a major blow to the future of the Rangers. What can the organization do to recover from something like this?

Do we put more stock in Zherdev?

Trade up in next years draft?

Really, where do we go from here because I find myself with my foot in my mouth. With all of the Gaborik trade proposals, my theory was why trade for Gaborik when we have a player who could put up similar numbers in Chere...

Im just wondering what fellow Rangers fans think the next move is after something this tragic to help the organization keep on the path it was on.

Anthony Mauro 10-14-2008 12:03 AM

As long as Renney is here, and as long as 23 guys buy into his plan, I don't think it matters who we have. Honestly, If Aaron Voros can play like this for us, I think we'll be alright. This team's success is predicated on the sum of the parts, not the individual scores of each.

Zherdev probably does have more responsibility pinned on him now to be our young superstar.

Wouldn't mind a trade up for one of 2009's top forward talents though.

we want cup 10-14-2008 12:04 AM

i'd say that we're definitely more likely to see the rangers seriously pursue a long term deal with zherdev now.

also, this probably means that in this years draft we'll be looking more for a player who can make an immediate impact or who we at least won't have to wait 4-5 years for.

levski87 10-14-2008 12:08 AM

I think the whole HFBoards put so much "iPressure" on Chere to be the next great one, when in reality we didn't know what he really could do. He could have been a huge bust playing in this league, or could have been a star. It's hard to say exactly, there have been players who excel in the RSL but just can't cut it here. Chere also lacked a bit of size I believe. We overhyped ourselves to much and it came crashing down on us. As for what do we do now, we just continue developing players. Dubi/Korpedo/Zherdev are all great players. Zherdev is one to look out for though, I think he can be one player that can really excel.

Edge 10-14-2008 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by levski87 (Post 15839194)
I think the whole HFBoards put so much "iPressure" on Chere to be the next great one, when in reality we didn't know what he really could do. He could have been a huge bust playing in this league, or could have been a star. It's hard to say exactly, there have been players who excel in the RSL but just can't cut it here. Chere also lacked a bit of size I believe. We overhyped ourselves to much and it came crashing down on us. As for what do we do now, we just continue developing players. Dubi/Korpedo/Zherdev are all great players. Zherdev is one to look out for though, I think he can be one player that can really excel.

I gotta agree with you for the most part.

A.C. had great skills, but I don't think he was game breaking, superstar type.

I'd say, his upside was similar to Zherdev - 35-40 goals and 70-80 points.

It hurts alot, and it's going to be felt for several years. The Rangers will still have to try to develop scoring from their wings.

gabevh3 10-14-2008 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by levski87 (Post 15839194)

name those players that excelled in the rsl and didnt in the nhl .. im curious

Pluckfur 10-14-2008 12:25 AM

I was so sorry to learn about Cherepanov - it was the draft here in Columbus that the Rangers drafted C ... I felt terrible for the kid then as teams kept passing over him but thought you guys made out like bandits when you finally got to pick him.

While I realize losing the elite skill set Cherepanov possessed is upsetting ... there is a core of young Ranger talent on the ice that seems to be stepping up and blossoming. Mourn Chere ... but I don't think that you should be too worried for your team.

easton1099 10-14-2008 12:35 AM

Anyone think they might go hard after Radulov, regardless of what you think of his situation, he is a talent and supposedly good friends with Zherdev. I feel like he has a very similar skillset to what Cherepanov could have been.

007 10-14-2008 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabevh3 (Post 15839374)
name those players that excelled in the rsl and didnt in the nhl .. im curious

Pavel Patera excelled in the Czech league, but he also was a good forward in Russia, playing, of all places, for Avangard Omsk. He was useless in the NHL, but I still think of him as a great player. He was awesome against NHL-quality opposition on the gold-medal winning Czech Olympic Team in 1998.

The Thomas J.* 10-14-2008 01:52 AM

Certanily this is a huge set back for us, the past ten years o 1st round draft pics have not been kind to us forward wise.

The Thomas J.* 10-14-2008 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easton1099 (Post 15839469)
Anyone think they might go hard after Radulov, regardless of what you think of his situation, he is a talent and supposedly good friends with Zherdev. I feel like he has a very similar skillset to what Cherepanov could have been.

I'd like to give a resounding NO, hopefully not I don't see it happening, you never know though.

Pluckfur 10-14-2008 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thomas J. (Post 15839931)
Certanily this is a huge set back for us, the past ten years o 1st round draft pics have not been kind to us forward wise.

The RedWings seem to manage.

Edit: And, as a Columbus fan ... I can assure you that a top 5 pick isn't exactly money in the bank.

NYR Sting 10-14-2008 02:24 AM

Well, there's this fella down south named Kovalchuk, and if you really think about it, there are quite a few reasons to think that he'll be wearing Ranger blue by the Fall of 2010. It made sense even before the loss of Cherepanov, but it may make even more sense now that he's gone.

rickyrod 10-14-2008 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting36e (Post 15840039)
Well, there's this fella down south named Kovalchuk, and if you really think about it, there are quite a few reasons to think that he'll be wearing Ranger blue by the Fall of 2010. It made sense even before the loss of Cherepanov, but it may make even more sense now that he's gone.

The cap ceiling would probably have to raise substantially for us to take a run at Kovalchuk. We already have almost $34m on the books for six players, and Dubinsky and Staal won't be making rookie-contract money at that point anymore.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=NYR

LyNX27 10-14-2008 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyrod (Post 15840114)
The cap ceiling would probably have to raise substantially for us to take a run at Kovalchuk. We already have almost $34m on the books for six players, and Dubinsky and Staal won't be making rookie-contract money at that point anymore.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=NYR

We have Naslunds contract ending that year... 4 mill. freed up right there. A few other players... and i'll say it balances out after we give players like Dubinsky pay raises. And the NHL cap raising and i'd say we could fit in a nice fat contract for a player like Kovalchuk who spoke of having interest in NY a few years back.

Sad London Ranger 10-14-2008 05:53 AM

tragedy certainly - the end of the road for the Rangers definitely not.

Just think Pavel Brendl......Dan Blackburn.....

had Chery been properly examined by the doctors this of course should have been
preventable, but he wouldn't have played hockey.....with the Rangers.

When it my time to go there are two ways I would want to leave this world....loving my woman or playing hockey!

Vaheh 10-14-2008 06:23 AM

[QUOTE=Happy London Ranger;15840405]

had Chery been properly examined by the doctors this of course should have been
preventable, but he wouldn't have played hockey.....with the Rangers.

QUOTE]

huh?

Sad London Ranger 10-14-2008 06:29 AM

heart defects of this nature are detected in a cardio stress test that athletes would be normally subject to. I am not sure this was the case in Omsk, but It would have been in NY!

Vaheh 10-14-2008 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger (Post 15840481)
heart defects of this nature are detected in a cardio stress test that athletes would be normally subject to. I am not sure this was the case in Omsk, but It would have been in NY!

I'm pretty sure they would've tested him during the NHL combine.

azrok22 10-14-2008 06:50 AM

Quote:

You're correct. In fact, this last draft they found David Carle (TB D-man's brother) had a heart defect and he had to withdraw from the draft. TB still drafted him in the ~6th round to reward him for his hard work iirc.

offdacrossbar 10-14-2008 06:54 AM

honestly i figured this would come up and ive given it some thought.

alexei is gone. tragic. loss.

from the hockey side though, we cannot expect to replace him because we dont know what he was really. he had enormous potential but thats all it was. could he adapt to this style? could he become a professional nhl player? we just dont know. its hard to say what he would have become? and what of a serious injury? all things that we will never know.

bottom line, because he was a top 10 talent means nothing. there are no guarantees in hockey nor in life..... look at hank, he wasnt anywhere near the top 100 players taken that year. go figure.

my hunch, knowing this organization, is that they wont wait to develop someone who is chosen in the draft. this team looks to be on the upswing and will draft lower in the first round for a few years to come. imo, they will look to attract a russian free agent superstar playing south of here ..... just a hunch.

SML 10-14-2008 07:02 AM

Sometimes great tragedies pave the way for other bright spots to emerge. The Blackburn/Lundqvist situation for example. If Blackburn had never been injured, perhaps he's a firmly entrenched #1 by the time Henrik comes here. You just can never tell what may have been. The worst part about this is the poor kid died. I don't really worry so much about the hockey impact. If he had been 25 and this happened, it could have been a Jiri Fischer situation, where he can't play anymore anyhow. What can you do? Things happen. We are not the first sports team to lose a bright young star before they even start to shine. But there is no way to measure the impact that this event will take on the players that we do have, that knew Cherepanov, that can now see how lucky they are to have their opportunity and just how valuable it is because it can be gone immediately. You cannot simulate sobering experiences like that and often, they are life changing. I hope they all take something from this tragedy and turn it into something they can learn from.

Levitate 10-14-2008 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaheh (Post 15840498)

That's where they detected the heart problem of David Carle, I believe

Theon 10-14-2008 07:10 AM

I think we should trade up in next year's draft and get a good forward like Magnus Paajarvi.

azrok22 10-14-2008 07:14 AM

Not sure if it's appropriate yet to be considering this (nor if it really ever will be).

Because he was unsigned we should receive the #47 pick in the upcoming draft.

:(