HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Thoughts on Jagr... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=56191)

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-27-2004 07:23 AM

Thoughts on Jagr...
 
What is everyone's impression of Jagr? Has been better than you thought he would be, worse, about the same. Anything that has surprised you?

Personally he is a lot stronger than I thought he was and his hands are quicker than I thought they were.

Pearl Necklace 02-27-2004 07:26 AM

I've got the strangest feeling...
 
... of deja vu. (Bure)

L.I.RangerFan 02-27-2004 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
What is everyone's impression of Jagr? Has been better than you thought he would be, worse, about the same. Anything that has surprised you?

Personally he is a lot stronger than I thought he was and his hands are quicker than I thought they were.


Better! What has surprised me the most is that he doesn't seem to give up on the puck, he plays a tougher game than what I thought he would and he does his fair share of throwing checks.

I also like the fact that he appears to enjoy playing for the Rangers, he plays hurt and he comes to play every night.

True Blue 02-27-2004 07:40 AM

He;s very, very good. However, he is going to hurt when the new CBA is in effect.

jas 02-27-2004 07:48 AM

That remains to be seen, TB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
He;s very, very good. However, he is going to hurt when the new CBA is in effect.

I do not think that the big revenue teams will allow the small market teams to dictate the policies of this league. Besides, if you have a chance, go read the Dubi Silverstein articles over at RFC on the way the crooks, I mean, owners in this have and continue to do business. Very informative.

John Flyers Fan 02-27-2004 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas
I do not think that the big revenue teams will allow the small market teams to dictate the policies of this league. Besides, if you have a chance, go read the Dubi Silverstein articles over at RFC on the way the crooks, I mean, owners in this have and continue to do business. Very informative.

Unfortunately there are alot more small market owners than big market owners.

It hurts even more when two of the "big-market" owners (Jacobs & Wirtz) are the biggest cheerleaders for a salary cap and small market teams.

John Flyers Fan 02-27-2004 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
What is everyone's impression of Jagr? Has been better than you thought he would be, worse, about the same. Anything that has surprised you?

Personally he is a lot stronger than I thought he was and his hands are quicker than I thought they were.

When Jagr is healthy and motivated he is incredibly strong. He has incredible leg strength, and IMO is the toughest player in the league while carrying the puck.

Fire Sather 02-27-2004 08:08 AM

Ive been pleased with Jagr, hes played very well and shown he wants to be here.
But, like pearl said, it seems like Deja Vu.

Melrose_Jr. 02-27-2004 08:56 AM

Jagr the player has exceeded my expectations. The Rangers featuring Jagr look pretty much just as I thought they would though.

rickyrod 02-27-2004 10:44 AM

if the rest of the team gets over "waiting for jagr to win the game" then, he is great. 18 points in 13 games is an incredible stat for a ranger, and i think he was well worth the trade.

as for the cba...if they do end up with a cap, there may be a grandfather clause or something, like basketball.

Larry Melnyk 02-27-2004 10:54 AM

He has indeed played very hard and very well this year, but the story of Jagr will be told next year...If the Rangers try to rebuild/reload, will Jagr pout, whine, and be a disruptive force like he was in Washington, which was goingthru a similar situation? Or will he stay motivated (and healthy) and excel? ..WIll this be the type of player, the team looks to for leadership (most of the other vets upfront will be gone)?

The one point that scares me is that, like with the presence of Messier, will the mere presence of Jagr and his salray/contract for the next years discourage any type of rebuilding this year? Also, will Jagr's preference for a wide open game prevent the Rangers from committing to a defense-based team with a systeme, basically the only way to succeed today..As it has rarely been in New York, it's more about the TEAM then the individual player.....We'll see next year...

Fish 02-27-2004 10:59 AM

I too have the same fear, and the allusion of direction from above by both Smith and Sather in recent days makes things even more uncertain...

Another concern I have is his health...he's aging has had nagging groin injuries the last couple of seasons and plays against some physical defensemen...

Potter 02-27-2004 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
He has indeed played very hard and very well this year, but the story of Jagr will be told next year...If the Rangers try to rebuild/reload, will Jagr pout, whine, and be a disruptive force like he was in Washington, which was goingthru a similar situation? Or will he stay motivated (and healthy) and excel? ..WIll this be the type of player, the team looks to for leadership (most of the other vets upfront will be gone)?

The one point that scares me is that, like with the presence of Messier, will the mere presence of Jagr and his salray/contract for the next years discourage any type of rebuilding this year? Also, will Jagr's preference for a wide open game prevent the Rangers from committing to a defense-based team with a systeme, basically the only way to succeed today..As it has rarely been in New York, it's more about the TEAM then the individual player.....We'll see next year...


You can win with Jagr. The Pens did it and we can do it too. But you can't put an intense defensive scheme on Jagr and expect him to do his thing. You should surround him with the right guys and build a scheme around letting Jagr do his thing... which is what he does best when left alone. Thats just the way Jagr works. In DC they tried to make him part of the total defensive scheme but with a player of Jagr's ability you have to let him go.

I want our team to set up a real system of play. I want to win games. I want a team that can play defense. But when you have a guy of Jagr's ability, you let him work and build a scheme around him when he is out there on the ice.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.