HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Preds looking at Atlanta and Florida for defensive help? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=56202)

triggrman 02-27-2004 08:21 AM

Preds looking at Atlanta and Florida for defensive help?

Thrashers GM visits as Preds go shopping

Quote:

The Panthers could have a couple of defensemen 6-0, 206-pound Lyle Odelein or 6-3, 228-pound Andreas Lilja of possible interest to the Predators. Odelein ($650,000) and Lilja ($600,000) are making reasonable salaries, and neither is under contract for next season.
Quote:

A possible Atlanta trade target might be 6-6, 245-pound Andy Sutton, who is making $775,000 this season.
It also mentions Tarnstrom and Witt.

GKJ 02-27-2004 09:15 AM

I don't think you'll see Florida unload. They're playing really well and getting back into the race.

btn 02-27-2004 09:50 AM

If DW moves Sutton I am going to give him a strong kick to the groin the next time I see him at a game. The Thrashers lucked into getting a monster like Sutton in the first place.

crossxcheck 02-27-2004 09:55 AM

Yeah, but IMO sutton isn't that great of a defensive player. I'd like odelein or witt, please :D

btn 02-27-2004 09:59 AM

Show me a GM that wouldn't want Witt.

Sutton is better than Odelein by a wide margin. He hasn't been a decent player since leaving NJ, and he wasn't all that good back then either.

Shishkanov or Hutchinson wouldn't be too bad a return for Sutton I guess.

Rattrick 02-27-2004 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn
Sutton is better than Odelein by a wide margin. He hasn't been a decent player since leaving NJ, and he wasn't all that good back then either.

It's obvious you haven't seen any Panther games in the past two months. I am not going to compare the two, but Odelein has been a beast since Bouwmeester has been out (because he has been given more minutes). Why would so many teams (I believe it's more than 4 that have been quoted) be interested in the guy? On top of what he has done on the ice, he has been a beast off the ice as well.

PantherBlood6* 02-27-2004 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn

Don't know what he did in his other stops, but he's been absolutley fantastic for Florida all year long....I'd even go as far as saying one of the biggest, if not the biggest, steal of the offseason. Odelein came into camp not knowing if he'd even make the team, and now has played himself into a top pairing role....yes, Florida's defense stinks but that doesn't take away from what Odelein has done.

Sutton carries more value because he's younger and not a UFA, but If the Preds are just looking for a playoff rental who can help in the Playoffs, Odelein would be a MUCH better fit.

jacksheit 02-27-2004 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman
Thrashers GM visits as Preds go shopping

It also mentions Tarnstrom and Witt.

U can have lilja

officeglen 02-27-2004 11:23 AM

The Preds need a D like Sutton if they run into Bertuzzi in the playoffs - hmm, that should if Bertuzzi runs into them in the playoffs.

Safir* 02-27-2004 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn

What about Oliver Setzinger?

triggrman 02-27-2004 12:29 PM

You might get Stetzinger or Hutchinson but not Shishkanov.

Enoch 02-27-2004 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn

Timofei has a lot more trade value than Sutton ever will. Hutch for Sutton would be more realistic, although I think Hutch will be the better of the two very soon..

Rattrick 02-27-2004 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
Timofei has a lot more trade value than Sutton ever will. Hutch for Sutton would be more realistic, although I think Hutch will be the better of the two very soon..

I agree. That asking price is a wee bit steep.

darth5 02-27-2004 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn
Show me a GM that wouldn't want Witt.

Shish is a fantastic prospect. Plus he is over market value for Nashville since he is exactly the kind of player they need right now. I can't see them trading him-- they locked him up to a 3 year deal b4 the season...

ehc73 02-27-2004 02:17 PM

Isn't Florida looking for d-men themselves? That snuffs out a d-man coming out of Florida methinks.

barrytrotzsneck 02-27-2004 02:50 PM

for now, maybe...but as the weeks go on, the playoff-candle is going to burn out completely for teams like florida, anaheim, etc. in the east, especially, the only team that i can see challenging right down to the wire is the sabres, and even then it's a slim chance. even florida papers have reported that the panthers were entertaining a couple of offers.

jacksheit 02-27-2004 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehc73
Isn't Florida looking for d-men themselves? That snuffs out a d-man coming out of Florida methinks.

florida wants a top 2 d-man, not a 4-7th