HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Finally....A decent EDM/NJD proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=56214)

Dr_Gonz0 02-27-2004 09:19 AM

Finally....A decent EDM/NJD proposal

I posted this on the oilers and devils board, and both sides liked the trade. Now i want to see what unbiased fans think. I think it works for both teams now and in the future.

To NJD: Eric Brewer and Tommy Salo

To EDM: Ari Ahonen and Paul Martin

Why for EDM: They kill 2 of their glaring holes with this trade. They get a young D-man who can step in and play in the top 4, and run our PP, and a young tender to tandem with Conklin.

Why for NJD: They get a big mobile defenseman who can soak up minutes, and is still only 24. Tommy Salo is in the last year of his contract, with a club option for next season. Gives Scwhab the playoffs and the summer to recuperate while Salo fills the back up netminder position

Thoughts?

Drake1588 02-27-2004 09:20 AM

Interesting. Three pieces work, but Tommy Salo does not. NJ will not take his salary or his game, frankly. If the deal still makes sense by swapping another player for Salo, then I think it's the basis of a deal. If this is in large part a proposal that is intending to unload Salo, however, then I'm not sure there's room to tweak. I don't see the Devils having any interest in Salo. A high-energy forward with some scoring ability may be what NJ needs.

Dr_Gonz0 02-27-2004 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588
Interesting. Three pieces work, but Tommy Salo does not. NJ will not take his salary or his game, frankly. If the deal still makes sense by swapping another player for Salo, then I think it's the basis of a deal. If this is in large part a proposal that is intending to unload Salo, however, then I'm not sure there's room to tweak. I don't see the Devils having any interest in Salo. A high-energy forward with some scoring ability may be what NJ needs.

It makes perfect sense. Schwab is out for the remainder of the season with injury. They need someone to Backup Broduer. Salo is basically UFA this summer, plus a club option. So NJD can pick him up, know that they have someone with experience in case broduer should become injured. Then they can walk away from him at the End of the season with no future obligations, and go with Schwab as the back up again next training camp. Plus, as far as Salary goes, it will mostly be payed by now, having player 60+ games already.

Biggest player in the deal: Brewer
Next biggest players: Martin, Ahonen
Player with least value in deal: Salo

Drake1588 02-27-2004 09:30 AM

I'm not interested in an argument over it, and don't have a stake. I'm just saying that the Devils will balk at taking on Salo. They have the league's best goalie, who seldom gets injured, and who plays 75 games a year. They do not need a mature starter who makes bank and has dubious recent stats. They need to trade for a backup, that's all.

thestonedkoala 02-27-2004 09:30 AM

Pass, NJD loves Martin and he's younger than Brewer. I don't think they'll let it fly.

Takeo 02-27-2004 09:33 AM

A rather presumptuous thread title don't you think?

sveiglar 02-27-2004 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
It makes perfect sense. Schwab is out for the remainder of the season with injury. They need someone to Backup Broduer. Salo is basically UFA this summer, plus a club option. So NJD can pick him up, know that they have someone with experience in case broduer should become injured. Then they can walk away from him at the End of the season with no future obligations, and go with Schwab as the back up again next training camp. Plus, as far as Salary goes, it will mostly be payed by now, having player 60+ games already.

Biggest player in the deal: Brewer
Next biggest players: Martin, Ahonen
Player with least value in deal: Salo

"Someone" could be a McLennan or Braithwaite type for a fraction of the price. I really like Brewer, but am willing to wait and see what kind of player Martin develops into... the early returns are very promising.

Any deal which proposed an established starter coming to NJ just because they need a backup isn't well thought out.

Dr_Gonz0 02-27-2004 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo21
A rather presumptuous thread title don't you think?

The fans of the teams in the deal, from both sides liked it, so i figured it would get a little warmer reception form unbiased fans. I know Martin has high value, maybe include a pick or prospect coming from EDM. :dunno:

Vyse64 02-27-2004 10:18 AM

what oilers fans like it?

i sure don't

Salo has no value around the league so thats out of the way

even if oilers do get 2 of the 3 needs (PP QB and a potential starter) the biggest need is still a top line BIG centre

Martin, Ahonen Potential stars, Martin will have his time, Ahonen won't get the light of day with new jersey with Brodeur there also goaltender isn't exactly a buyer's market (henberg and Kiprusoff traded for 2nd round picks) and if it was Salo would at least get a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Brewer already a star and a top 3 defensemen around the league only 24 6'3 220 pounds
give him time, even if he doesn't reach his potential he will still a very good defensemen.

take away Brewer from the oilers and you got a defense core thats going to be in the bottom of the league for a while at least 3-5 years. the defense isn't that great to start with and you want to weaken and it will stay near the bottom of the league for at least 3-5 years

Mr Sakich 02-27-2004 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588
I'm not interested in an argument over it, and don't have a stake. I'm just saying that the Devils will balk at taking on Salo. They have the league's best goalie, who seldom gets injured, and who plays 75 games a year. They do not need a mature starter who makes bank and has dubious recent stats. They need to trade for a backup, that's all.

dubious recent stats ???

In his last 20 or so games, he has a 1.6 gaa and a save percentage around 0.925. He has been one of the top 10 gaolies in that stretch. He had a rough start to the year but many beleive it was because his wife left him in September and he was a hurting man. Time heals all wounds and he seems to have recovered and completely turned his game around.

Rattrick 02-27-2004 11:22 AM

Gotta disagree with the thread title on this one. This is definately far from decent. Why would NJ want Salo? Brewer has more value then you are giving him.

Disgraced Cosmonaut 02-27-2004 11:55 AM

Quote:

I posted this on the oilers and devils board, and both sides liked the trade. Now i want to see what unbiased fans think. I think it works for both teams now and in the future.

Why for EDM: They kill 2 of their glaring holes with this trade. They get a young D-man who can step in and play in the top 4, and run our PP, and a young tender to tandem with Conklin.

Why for NJD: They get a big mobile defenseman who can soak up minutes, and is still only 24. Tommy Salo is in the last year of his contract, with a club option for next season. Gives Scwhab the playoffs and the summer to recuperate while Salo fills the back up netminder position

Thoughts?

your title is off because you included Salo in this thread. he's nooooo gooood and ruins everything here. the rest of it is ok, but as someone pointed out, Ed still needs a centre.

Brodeur 02-27-2004 12:03 PM

I like it. The Devils can walk away from Salo's contract after the season. Brodeur's been a workhorse but could use an extra game or two off down the stretch. With the top of the Eastern Conference being so tight (Devils could be in 1st or 6th), I personally wouldn't mind a veteran like Salo for a couple months over Scott Clemmensen.

Most of Salo's contract is already paid for the season. If I'm not mistaken, Vanbiesbrouck was at the end of the expensive deal he signed with Philly when we acquired him for Terreri in 2001.

So it basically comes down to Brewer for Martin and Ahonen. I doubt Lou would deal Martin just because this is his first year, but this is more than fair from our side valuewise.

nj666 02-27-2004 12:03 PM

NJ gets: Brewer/York
Edm gets: Hale/DeMarchi/Marshall/Ahonen

Ziggy Stardust 02-27-2004 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nj666

Even worse. Why would the Oilers deal York (who is one of their best forwards). And what player in that package replaces York's spot? None of them.

Why won't the Devils just give up a decent pick and prospect (doesn't have to be any of the top prospects) and go for Manny Fernandez.

thestonedkoala 02-27-2004 12:09 PM

Dude, Ziggy we figured it out:

To New Jersey: Manny Fernandez, Brad Bombardir and a 7th

To Minnesota: Matt DeMarchi and a 4th

Oilers Hockey 02-27-2004 12:12 PM

Quote:

Even better, how about Smyth, Hemsky, Brewer, Semenov, & York for Gomez?

Wake up. If you want Brewer AND York, you're going to overpay. Thats all there is to it.

Ziggy Stardust 02-27-2004 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Dude, Ziggy we figured it out:

To New Jersey: Manny Fernandez, Brad Bombardir and a 7th

To Minnesota: Matt DeMarchi and a 4th

There ya go. Bombardir can go back to his old stomping grounds as an insurance d-man for the playoffs and Fernandez will fit in well behind Brodeur and give Marty some rest.

DeMarchi is familiar with Minnesota and with Martin and Hale ahead of him in the depth charts, will be given an opportunity to play for the Wild.

I also figure Ray Giroux is a possible favorite to be called up and the Devils don't seem to be lacking on the blueline in the pipeline.

sveiglar 02-27-2004 12:14 PM

Quote:

Sold... but it's not like EDM would ever offer it.

And TSK, just keep Bombardir and DeMarchi out of the equation. You, CLB, and CGY can fight over our 5th as you attempt to pimp Fernandez, Braithwaite, and McLennan, respectively.

sveiglar 02-27-2004 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Even better, how about Smyth, Hemsky, Brewer, Semenov, & York for Gomez?

Wake up. If you want Brewer AND York, you're going to overpay. Thats all there is to it.

If you think you're going to get Gomez for *that* piddly package, you're dreaming. ;)

thestonedkoala 02-27-2004 12:15 PM

You do realize Hemsky that is a huge chunk of their youth right there?

I mean Hale AND DeMarchi are pretty damn good...

So basically I would say:

Brewer >= Hale
DeMarchi, Ahonen, Marshall > York

Oilers Hockey 02-27-2004 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sveiglar
If you think you're going to get Gomez for *that* piddly package, you're dreaming. ;)

:joker:

Oilers Hockey 02-27-2004 12:17 PM

What the Oilers need most is a #1 centre, does Gomez fit that package? If so, what would you want for him?

DARKSIDE 02-27-2004 12:18 PM

Quote:

Thoughts?

Not a bad deal at all, but, the devils basically need 3 things: A big winger like Rob Niedermayer. Defensive depth, like Brad Bombardir (Stevens should be back in late March). And a back-up goalie who doesn't have much value. That's why your trade proposal won't happen.

thestonedkoala 02-27-2004 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sveiglar
Sold... but it's not like EDM would ever offer it.

And TSK, just keep Bombardir and DeMarchi out of the equation. You, CLB, and CGY can fight over our 5th as you attempt to pimp Fernandez, Braithwaite, and McLennan, respectively.

I'm not sold on Brewer myself. I love York but I'm not sold on Brewer.

New Jersey needs a guy like Bombardir simply because he's a depth guy but is a good leader, been around the league once or twice and can help out now when Stevens is out. I mean he won't throw his weight around as much as he has done in the past but he can be a reliable uhhh...well a reliable depth defenseman. He also fits well and excells in the trap system.

Also Fernandez's contract is smaller than Salo, is up at the end of the year, and Minnesota will likely pay most of it.