HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Sami Kapanen (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=56221)

Teezax 02-27-2004 09:36 AM

Sami Kapanen

I was listening to the Team 990 here in Montreal and they were discussing Sami Kapanen struggling in Philly since he came. Then something about what koivu thinks of him and would like to have him in Montreal, personally I think Kappy has been a very consistent player for us who gives his all every night. I don't see him underachieving at all, unless they think about points more then anything else.
What do you guys think of him?

Cuiff 02-27-2004 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teezax
I was listening to the Team 990 here in Montreal and they were discussing Sami Kapanen struggling in Philly since he came. Then something about what koivu thinks of him and would like to have him in Montreal, personally I think Kappy has been a very consistent player for us who gives his all every night. I don't see him underachieving at all, unless they think about points more then anything else.

I was trooling on the Cain's board (I have a tendency to do that :p ) and they told me that the Flyers got hosed in the Kappy trade. I was shocked! I think Sami has been a nice grind it out player for us.

blah 02-27-2004 09:43 AM

lol, Kapanen has been great as a 3rd liner. Brendl had no chance of sticking w/ the Flyers, they gave up on him, and rightfully so.

John Flyers Fan 02-27-2004 10:01 AM

Kapanen has been excellent this year.

I would not be looking to move him at all.

The fact that Hitch gave him an "A" tells you all you need to know what Hitch thinks of him.

Dr Love 02-27-2004 10:07 AM

People think he's struggling because he's not scoring like he used to. But he's relentless defensively and when he does score, they seem to be very timely goals. He's one of those guys that if you didn't watch him night in and night out, you'd think he's a struggling, underproducing player, which isn't the case.

John Flyers Fan 02-27-2004 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
People think he's struggling because he's not scoring like he used to. But he's relentless defensively and when he does score, they seem to be very timely goals. He's one of those guys that if you didn't watch him night in and night out, you'd think he's a struggling, underproducing player, which isn't the case.

Agreed. Him and Primeau do a great job of shutting down the top lines. He kills penalties. He can play either right or left wing.

Kapanen rarely scores when we win 4-1, but if the score is 3-2, his name is likely to be found on the scoresheet.

Hammerwise 02-27-2004 10:26 AM

Kapanen was a 50-60 pts a year guy for a few years playing 1st or 2nd line with them. He is one of the leagues best third liners. PERIOD. He can score and has great speed and shows some tenacious chase and back checking. Without him on the 3rd line, they have no offense on the third line.
I love the guy, he can play any of the top 3 lines and meshes well with varied players. Last year in the playoffs, he, Roenick, and Amonte were awesome until the injuries set in. He shows moments of absolute brilliance when shooting or carrying the puck.
He would still be getting 50-65 pts on Carolina's first line if he was still there.
And Brendl has had 4 injuries in only 3 seasons, (two were season enders), everytime it looks like Brendl might be finally "getting" it, he gets injured and has to start over. I still say even trade, if not in flyers favor.

Toonces 02-27-2004 10:40 AM

The Flyers hardly got "hosed" in that trade.

How many "little" guys play the tough as nails style that Sami K does? He may not score like he used to, but he does so many other things.

They can keep Brendl, I'd take a player like Sami K. on my team any day of the week

donelikedinner 02-27-2004 10:45 AM

Sami K. has rocked for the flyers. he plays hard and never lets down during a game no matter what the score. he's a mini version of JR. he plays hard, hits hard and seems to have no fear of anyone. Sami is a team player and it shows. Go Sami :yo:

MiamiScreamingEagles 02-27-2004 10:51 AM

People too often look at numbers and numbers only. Case in point: The Boston Herald has a game preview column for each Bruins game including "Who's hot and who's not." When the Flyers played the Bruins the first time this season they mentioned Keith Primeau as the coldest Flyer. I E-mailed them and said he was not cold, in fact he was probably their best defensive forward and a Selke candidate who oftentimes plays against the other team's top line. The second time the teams played the "coldest Flyer" again was called Keith Primeau but they added something like "despite his good defensive play." They must have got my message! :yo:

I think some people just look at stats and see how many goals someone scores.

tytech 02-27-2004 10:51 AM

I am pretty happy to hear that no flyers fans think the same. I was hoping I wouldn't run into a comment suggesting that he was not a valuable asset to this team and he should be traded. We didn't get hosed by any means. Any player that comes here is given a team role. Kapanen would be a first liner in Columbus or Nashville, Florida etc. We are a top five team in the league and each player is given a team role to help us win or get over the hill. We play defensively and Kapanen is awesome. I don't think he gets enough powerplay time anymore. Last year, before Pitkanen came, he did but I highly doubt he was the reason it was bad. He kills penalties and is awesome in five on five play. Like someone mentionned if you are not a Flyers fan you are obviously watching only the highlights and scoreboard and that is not where Kapanen excels. Those same people were probably saying the same thing about Primeau until the all star selection. He is also one physical and fiesty sob. I had no idea he played like this in Carolina. Maybe he didn't but I am impressed cause he's a small guy.

Teezax 02-27-2004 11:36 AM

Thank God, i was under the impression from these douush bags on the radio that Kaps was expendable, I for one love his play as a Flyer and am convinced that we won the deal. He better stay put as he is an integral part of the Flyer's nucleus.

capn89* 02-27-2004 11:39 AM

Kapanen is like one of those players (IE Marty Murray) who play their heart's out every single night, but just don't put up the numbers to match their effort. It's a shame too, I was a big fan of Marty, and I like Kapanen. He's a workhorse.

tytech 02-27-2004 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capn89
Kapanen is like one of those players (IE Marty Murray) who play their heart's out every single night, but just don't put up the numbers to match their effort. It's a shame too, I was a big fan of Marty, and I like Kapanen. He's a workhorse.

He's far better then Marty Murray. Kapanen can still put up high quality numbers but just not on this team. Like I mentionned, if he was a predator, panther etc he would be on the number one line and putting up decent numbers. Marty Murray, on the other hand, wouldn't.

capn89* 02-27-2004 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytech
He's far better then Marty Murray. Kapanen can still put up high quality numbers but just not on this team. Like I mentionned, if he was a predator, panther etc he would be on the number one line and putting up decent numbers. Marty Murray, on the other hand, wouldn't.

I was simply talking about work ethic and heart.

tytech 02-27-2004 12:45 PM

Quote:

I was simply talking about work ethic and heart.

You also mentionned "but just don't put up the numbers to match their effort" which obviously means that if they play similar they should have similar point productions. This is not the case and therefore think you should edit your comment and put another name then Marty Murray.

capn89* 02-27-2004 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytech
You also mentionned "but just don't put up the numbers to match their effort" which obviously means that if they play similar they should have similar point productions. This is not the case and therefore think you should edit your comment and put another name then Marty Murray.

Two guys can work just as hard as one another and not have the same talent level. I think you're getting a little too picky about my comment. I was saying, and hopefully this will make it crystal clear, Kapanen is a guy who works his butt off (similar to the way Marty Murray did when he was with the Flyers) and they are both guys who unfortunately don't put up the numbers to math their efforts, which is a shame, because they deserve good numbers. Narry did I say they were the same TALENT level, you need to relax a little, please. :teach:

Coburnfan05 02-27-2004 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teezax

Kapanen or Brendl...Hmmm. I'll take kaps.

The difference is in Carolina I believe he was a first or second line guy with allot of power play time as well. He has been rduced to a checking role with us, hence his production slipping. On allot of nights he seems to be the guy with the most energy on the ice and I love his tenacity, he is really good on the forecheck for a small winger.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 02-27-2004 05:36 PM

Brendl=overrated
Sami=underrated

RoDu 02-27-2004 06:05 PM

Kapanen is one of the fastest player in the league
Brendle is one of...................?????

SaveByHexy 02-28-2004 12:50 AM

I absolutely love Kapanen...he gives 110% all the time, he's quick, and for such a small guy he loves to hit...And I do feel bad for the guy because if he could play with Zhamnov or Recchi or Amonte as linemates, I think his numbers would be a bit better...Bottom line, I hope this guy is around for along time...

capn89* 02-28-2004 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
Kapanen is one of the fastest player in the league
Brendle is one of...................?????

The laziest?

easton122 02-28-2004 10:26 AM

Quote:

The laziest?

:lol: :joker:

Funny but true :D

Bob Clarke Fan Club 02-28-2004 04:08 PM

Quote:

The laziest?

THAT IS THE WORD I WAS LOOKING FOR. ;)

Brad* 02-28-2004 05:10 PM

If the Flyers got "hosed" in that deal, I'd would like to see the Flyers get "hosed" a few more times.