HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Hockey Talk by Country (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   2010 Olympic Hockey Silver Medalist? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=562654)

double M* 10-16-2008 09:44 PM

2010 Olympic Hockey Silver Medalist?
 
Alright, so me and my friend were having a discussion, I think its pretty obvious that Canada will win the gold.........but.....
who will the silver?


I vote Russia.

Paxton Fettel 10-17-2008 05:43 AM

better to close the thread

Jericho 12-02-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by double M* (Post 15885986)
Alright, so me and my friend were having a discussion, I think its pretty obvious that Canada will win the gold.........but.....
who will the silver?


I vote Russia.

Considering Canada's always had the most talent and has come away with exactly 1 medal in three Olympics, I wouldn't count on anything.

vippe 12-03-2008 12:50 AM

Russia will have the best team come 2010. I think Canada will win the silver.

wildone26* 12-03-2008 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jericho (Post 16618629)
Considering Canada's always had the most talent and has come away with exactly 1 medal in three Olympics, I wouldn't count on anything.

Sad but true. I will be extremely upset if they dont win in 2010 though.

FissionFire 12-04-2008 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by double M* (Post 15885986)
Alright, so me and my friend were having a discussion, I think its pretty obvious that Canada will win the gold.........but.....
who will the silver?


I vote Russia.

Canada will get the silver unless they choke again. Russia will take home the gold.

mattihp 12-04-2008 04:20 AM

Finland will hold either the gold or silver. My finnish mentality says it will be the silver :/ hopefully not losing to those swedes again...

Rupert Giles 12-04-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattihp (Post 16639952)
Finland will hold either the gold or silver. My finnish mentality says it will be the silver :/ hopefully not losing to those swedes again...

No, they will loose to canada in the final this time.

Here's how the whole thing will end up:

Final:
Canada - Finland 4 : 1

Bronze
Russia - Sweden 3 : 2

cska78 12-05-2008 07:22 PM

I really think Russia gets the gold but Naby must play net for us. How anyone will stop Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyk and Kovalchuk; Semin...I don't know. I think it will go down to Canada Russia with honorable mention of Swe and USA. Finnland will be up there with the Czechs as well, but temporarily not contending for the gold.

Dima87* 12-05-2008 08:19 PM

Russia-Canada is the high profile match up but it'll probably end up being a disappointing final with Finland or Sweden in it.

Mr Kanadensisk 12-05-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cska78 (Post 16669670)
I really think Russia gets the gold but Naby must play net for us. How anyone will stop Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyk and Kovalchuk; Semin...I don't know. I think it will go down to Canada Russia with honorable mention of Swe and USA. Finnland will be up there with the Czechs as well, but temporarily not contending for the gold.

Russia does have the second best set of forwards in the NHL right now, they should be very good in 2010.
Total points of the top five forwards thus far in the NHL:
Canada 166
Russia 149

cska78 12-06-2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk (Post 16670508)
Russia does have the second best set of forwards in the NHL right now, they should be very good in 2010.
Total points of the top five forwards thus far in the NHL:
Canada 166
Russia 149

This statistics are really not showing much. As they don't take into account Russian stars playing in the KHL: Radulov, Yashin, Sushinskiy, Morozov, Zaripov, Mozyakin - who all given first line duty would produce. Not all the best Russians are playing in the NHL today.

Zinovjev becam a FA today, too bed that we won't have a ready line of him, Morozov and Zaripov for the NT, but good for him, may be he will hook up with some team and be saved for the national t eam

Mr Kanadensisk 12-06-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cska78 (Post 16676819)
This statistics are really not showing much. As they don't take into account Russian stars playing in the KHL: Radulov, Yashin, Sushinskiy, Morozov, Zaripov, Mozyakin - who all given first line duty would produce. Not all the best Russians are playing in the NHL today.

Zinovjev becam a FA today, too bed that we won't have a ready line of him, Morozov and Zaripov for the NT, but good for him, may be he will hook up with some team and be saved for the national t eam

I compared the top 5, who in the KHL is better than Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyk, Kovalchuk or Semin?

None of the KHL players you mentioned would be stars on the small ice. I used to hear so much from KHL fans about how great Morozov was. He played enough in the NHL, surrounded by incredible talent, to show that he is not a superstar.

I get very concerned for the safety of these guys when they come over to play big tournaments on the smaller surface. Doug Murray just about sent Morozov into retirement at last years World Championships.

cska78 12-06-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk (Post 16677884)
I compared the top 5, who in the KHL is better than Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyk, Kovalchuk or Semin?

None of the KHL players you mentioned would be stars on the small ice. I used to hear so much from KHL fans about how great Morozov was. He played enough in the NHL, surrounded by incredible talent, to show that he is not a superstar.

I get very concerned for the safety of these guys when they come over to play big tournaments on the smaller surface. Doug Murray just about sent Morozov into retirement at last years World Championships.

somewhat legit points, but hockey on small rinks don't happen too too often, second of all officiating on NA turf seems to be of huge question and the liverties that Canada is allowed to get away without penalties are humangous.

MountainHawk 12-06-2008 04:01 PM

Belarus. ;-)

Mr Kanadensisk 12-06-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cska78 (Post 16679181)
somewhat legit points, but hockey on small rinks don't happen too too often, second of all officiating on NA turf seems to be of huge question and the liverties that Canada is allowed to get away without penalties are humangous.

North Americans make the same complaints about IIHF tournaments, either way the refs never get a fair shake.

pedrochapala 01-03-2009 09:11 AM

mexico will finally make it to the first tier and win the gold. at the age of 67, i will have one shift at right defence.

Selanne08* 01-04-2009 12:35 PM

Canada

G: Finland
S: Canada
B: Russia

Macke* 01-05-2009 03:32 AM

I think Russia will take a beating because I don't think they'll be able to have both Ovechkin and Malkin... they really hate each other.

ViD 01-05-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selanne08 (Post 17140549)
Canada

G: Finland
S: Canada
B: Russia

you must be joking saying that Finns win any medals with this current set of skaters.

mattihp 01-05-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViD (Post 17155749)
you must be joking saying that Finns win any medals with this current set of skaters.

Same could've been said when Finland had their 6th choice in net... With Finland, 90% is about the TEAM and the heart.

And I think we can find that 10% which is good forward play in some of the current players on a hot streak.

ViD 01-05-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattihp (Post 17155793)
Same could've been said when Finland had their 6th choice in net... With Finland, 90% is about the TEAM and the heart.

And I think we can find that 10% which is good forward play in some of the current players on a hot streak.

Just take a look at some of your best skaters at 2010

Selanne - 40. I doubt he plays

Saku Koivu - 36. Really old for a forward.

Jere Lehtinen - 37. Same here.

Kimmo Timonen - 35. He's a d, so not too bad, but still old

Sami Salo - 36

Teppo Numminen - 42

I can see you form one top line featuring Olli Jokinen, but then I just dont see competition to Sweden, Russia, USA, and Canada.

Canuck21t 01-05-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by double M* (Post 15885986)
Alright, so me and my friend were having a discussion, I think its pretty obvious that Canada will win the gold.........but.....
who will the silver?


I vote Russia.

Why are you so sure we're going to get Gold? I find that highly insulting to the other teams. We've always had a very good team on paper since Nagano yet we've only won once.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vippe (Post 16621425)
Russia will have the best team come 2010. I think Canada will win the silver.

I'm not sure about that. Depending on how the Canadian team will look; if we get a team that is similar to our 2007 Junior team, I think we would be able to handle Russia.

With Crosby, Getzlaf, Carter, Nash (who's always been good at the international level), Heatley, Iginla, Thornton, Phaneuf, Luongo, etc. I think we'll give Russia a tough time. In Torino, we were atrocious against weak teams, yet we still gave Russia a hard time.

Selanne08* 01-05-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViD (Post 17156602)
Just take a look at some of your best skaters at 2010

Selanne - 40. I doubt he plays

Saku Koivu - 36. Really old for a forward.

Jere Lehtinen - 37. Same here.

Kimmo Timonen - 35. He's a d, so not too bad, but still old

Sami Salo - 36

Teppo Numminen - 42

I can see you form one top line featuring Olli Jokinen, but then I just dont see competition to Sweden, Russia, USA, and Canada.

Same statement every competition.

Selanne08* 01-05-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattihp (Post 17155793)
Same could've been said when Finland had their 6th choice in net... With Finland, 90% is about the TEAM and the heart.

And I think we can find that 10% which is good forward play in some of the current players on a hot streak.

+1.

They may play a boring style of hockey, but damn it's effective.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.