HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Mike and the Mad Dog rip Sather apart. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=56292)

Ronnie Bass 02-27-2004 01:47 PM

Mike and the Mad Dog rip Sather apart.

They opened thier show today saying that his interview with his buddy on a Vancouver sports station should be the final nail the coffin for this guy. For a couple of guys who never really talk about hockey that just might be the ones to drive Sather out of town cause they will harp on this all day, mostly because he criticize Dolan and Cablevision for insisting that he change his plan on how to rebuild the Rangers. Here is the Daily News article by John Dellapina that got these guys in a rage. Good luck.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-147185c.html

"It is a different movie (in New York than Edmonton)," Sather said. "We didn't make it happen with that budget, but at least we took shots."

Sather also seemed to suggest he was forced to sign and acquire high-priced players against his will because of higher-ups' desire for a quick fix.

"I've said all along that it's easier to build than to fix," he said. "And I don't want to throw stones at the group that was here before me. But if you can draft and grow people you can create a nucleus and have a lot more success. And that's our focus going forward.

"Frankly, that's what the plan was at the beginning but it wasn't able to be carried out because there was a different mandate then."

Edge 02-27-2004 02:04 PM

bottom line is that with sather's "reputation" he is just the person who could have told the higher up's "No".

Can you imagine how bad that would have looked for them? Sather quitting after one week because the organization didnt have what it took to build a winner. It would have had the opposite effect on his reputation than his current actions. Which tells me that it is BS.

Sather once again is trying to squirm his way out of a tight fit, but this time it's not gonna work.

JR#9* 02-27-2004 02:07 PM

I never saw a guy in sports with less backbone then this POS Slats.

He should've been a injury lawyer w/all his double talk and lack of a spine.

Servo 02-27-2004 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR#9

Wow, you guys should listen to Linda Cohn just ripping into Sather on Beningo's show. Beningo doesn't know much (Malakhov returning is a good thing?), but she's just plain irate, and she's right.

Sicilian 02-27-2004 02:17 PM

Even assuming what he's saying is half true (that ownership pressured him into a quick fix, which is BS because someone with his background and in a job where discussion is his primary responsibility should be able to convince his boss that it doesn't work that way) the sign of a true leader and one who cares for the good of the team would shoulder the blame and try to move on with a clean slate (no pun intended). he's not doing that, justified or not, he's going to ride gretzky and mess's legacy until he is run out of the league and his image is tarnished forever... if it were any other man i'd feel bad for him :mad:

Bluenote13 02-27-2004 02:18 PM

Did anyone see the NHL2Night piece on Wednesday night? Great look at the team since 94.

Fire Sather 02-27-2004 02:20 PM

Tehy say JD for GM.

I like him too much to have him fail and leave the booth.

JR#9* 02-27-2004 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Did anyone see the NHL2Night piece on Wednesday night? Great look at the team since 94.

Can you highlight any significant points?

Did it bash Slats specifically?

Larry Melnyk 02-27-2004 02:24 PM

Quote:

Obviously, if Sather keeps his job, there is one----JAMES DOLAN.....I know he's not technically in sports, but talk about being b'tch-slapped by the person you bend over backwards for...What a ship of Fools....

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-27-2004 02:32 PM

Craig Button is throwing bombs on at him now.

Mad Dogs one kernal (which he repeats are often as possible) is that Sather should have hired Hitchcock.

Servo 02-27-2004 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway

Mad Dogs one kernal (which he repeats are often as possible) is that Sather should have hired Hitchcock.

It amazes me that Mike was able to remove his lips from Parcells' butt long enough to talk about hockey! :)

Ronnie Bass 02-27-2004 02:36 PM

Quote:

The one positive aspect of Mike and the Mad Dog tearing into Sather is like it or not what they say does carry alot of weight in this town, and if they make this a major issue today Dolan might have no choice but to get rid of this bum. If he doesn't do it after this interview Sather did and what he said in it then you guys are really screwed because nothing will probably change.

Bluenote13 02-27-2004 02:37 PM

Quote:

Can you highlight any significant points?

Did it bash Slats specifically?

They were bashing Slats, but mostly the organization/Dolan for not hiring seperate individuals for each job - President, GM, Coach, etc.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-27-2004 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou is God
The one positive aspect of Mike and the Mad Dog tearing into Sather is like it or not what they say does carry alot of weight in this town, and if they make this a major issue today Dolan might have no choice but to get rid of this bum. If he doesn't do it after this interview Sather did and what he said in it then you guys are really screwed because nothing will probably change.

Not in hockey they don't. They readily admit that they don't follow the teams but still try to have interviews with people. In Button's case they did not know who Sather traded Mike York for. And these are guys who can tell you who some Yankee in the 60s was traded for.

It's amazing. It would be like someone sitting down with John Kerry know without having followed the primary and campaign to date.

I did not hear the interview in Vancouver (or read it) but if he put down New York, that might be the only way he gets tossed from the job.

Ronnie Bass 02-27-2004 02:51 PM

Quote:

Not in hockey they don't. They readily admit that they don't follow the teams but still try to have interviews with people. In Button's case they did not know who Sather traded Mike York for. And these are guys who can tell you who some Yankee in the 60s was traded for.

It's amazing. It would be like someone sitting down with John Kerry know without having followed the primary and campaign to date.

I did not hear the interview in Vancouver (or read it) but if he put down New York, that might be the only way he gets tossed from the job.

Oh believe me I know they are not big hockey guys but what they say and do does have a ripple effect, we'll find out soon enough, if he still has his job by Monday then your right it didn't carry any weight, but IMO it will. Hey I'm a big devils fan and I want this guy gone, he's destroying hockey in this town and that ain't good for nobody.

Jackson Ranger 02-27-2004 02:58 PM

Quote:

"I've said all along that it's easier to build than to fix," he said.
OK Glen, let's see what you did the five years before you came to NY and what Neil Smith did.

Year of Draft (Highest pick in draft) Best draftee in the entire draft

Edmonton
1999 (13) Comrie
1998 (13) Horcoff
1997 (14) Chimera
1996 (6) Devereaux
1995 (6) Laraque

NYRangers
1999 (4) Brendl/Lundmark
1998 (7) Malhotra
1997 (19) York
1996 (22) Goneau
1995 (39) Marc Savard

I think 1996 was a very bad draft year but still, which group of players would you take? I think Mr. Sather back in 1995 didn't know what the hell he was doing.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-27-2004 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou is God
Oh believe me I know they are not big hockey guys but what they say and do does have a ripple effect, we'll find out soon enough, if he still has his job by Monday then your right it didn't carry any weight, but IMO it will. Hey I'm a big devils fan and I want this guy gone, he's destroying hockey in this town and that ain't good for nobody.

I think they do have a ripple effect but I think they have been so anti-Cablevision/Dolan that what they say is often ignored/deflected by the Garden. While I am no Sather lover I do think the way that the M and MD treated him the last time they interviewed him (about a year ago) was disgraceful. Sure they asked the hard hitting questions that fans would want asked but they also took shots at him which I believed crossed lines that these two clowns should not cross. What's more is Sather is savvy enough to realize that these two tools know nothing about the game and cut them off. And they looked bad.

Son of Steinbrenner 02-27-2004 03:00 PM

Quote:

I think they do have a ripple effect but I think they have been so anti-Cablevision/Dolan that what they say is often ignored/deflected by the Garden. While I am no Sather lover I do think the way that the M and MD treated him the last time they interviewed him (about a year ago) was disgraceful. Sure they asked the hard hitting questions that fans would want asked but they also took shots at him which I believed crossed lines that these two clowns should not cross. What's more is Sather is savvy enough to realize that these two tools know nothing about the game and cut them off. And they looked bad.

i'm just curious what did they say that crossed the line? i don't even remember sather on there show

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-27-2004 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
i'm just curious what did they say that crossed the line? i don't even remember sather on there show

It was very much the tone of this board which I don't think is proper for a media to take on.

Fire Sather 02-27-2004 03:11 PM

Quote:

I think they just ripped Sather alot. I dont think Sather was ever on.. maybe right after he was hired.

Son of Steinbrenner 02-27-2004 03:11 PM

Quote:

It was very much the tone of this board which I don't think is proper for a media to take on.

i can see why sather would be upset and i can totally see mike and the mad dog being jerks to sather but sather should still go on the radio in new york and not in vancouver. let new yorkers hear what he has to say. sather should be able to answer the tough questions. i'm sure he has heard them all before

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-27-2004 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Sather
I think they just ripped Sather alot. I dont think Sather was ever on.. maybe right after he was hired.

He was on last year right after the trade deadline I believe. There was a whole thread about it on this board.

DeVFaN 02-27-2004 03:15 PM

Sather isn't the problem, Dolan is. I'd bet Dolan made Sather go out and get all these high priced stars instead of building a team.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-27-2004 03:15 PM

Quote:

i can see why sather would be upset and i can totally see mike and the mad dog being jerks to sather but sather should still go on the radio in new york and not in vancouver. let new yorkers hear what he has to say. sather should be able to answer the tough questions. i'm sure he has heard them all before

No disagreement there. However, I recognize that Sather would not go on with those two clowns because they do not respect the game all the while being the flagship station of Rangers hockey. They have mocked hockey in the past. I could see why he would not go on with them but there are other hosts.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-27-2004 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeVFaN
Sather isn't the problem, Dolan is. I'd bet Dolan made Sather go out and get all these high priced stars instead of building a team.

Dolan doesn't know thing one about hockey. Sather and his ego would never be talked into doing something that he would not want to by Dolan.