HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   All Power Play Worries Here - NYR PP Ranked 21st (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=563035)

darrenturcotte#8 10-17-2008 10:33 PM

All Power Play Worries Here - NYR PP Ranked 21st

I cant say enough good things about they way this team has played so far this year. We battle hard and thus create plenty of power plays. Unfortunately our PP is useless. This PP hasn't worked since Bern when Redden was on the right point ripping one timers off the feed from Rozy. Why has Renney moved away from this? Better yet, is it not time to at least give it a try again? We got Redden so he could play the point so why is he on the left side where he has no shooting lanes. Our PP keeps everything on the outside because our D dont switch sides. If they go D to D, the best we can hope for is a wrister from the top of the circle. Same goes for the 2nd unit with Mara. Mara has a HUGE shot from the right side when he can step into it... I just don't get it...

FLYLine24 10-17-2008 10:50 PM

Not sure how Perry Pern still has a job.

The PP for years has been terrible. Last year any team could read it "Find Jagr"....this year it just looks so unorganized. Players are rarely moving around, and everything is to the outside.

Our PP is usually good when we face a team that gives our points some room, but when a team like the leafs tonight, challenge the points the second we get the puck...we are screwed. For some reaosn we don't adjust to the other teams style and keep trying to force our own, which doesn't work.

Simple solution tonight is to move the puck fast and effective, mainly down low...with in over aggressive team like the leafs that is bound to leave someone open in the slot. But this was not done and the PP just looked like garbage.

czechmate25 10-17-2008 10:57 PM

Why is Dubi and Z sitting on the bench while Drury is out there shooting wide and Gomez out there turning the puck over? How many failed attempts will it take for Pearn and Renney to realize which unit is #1?

beastly115 10-17-2008 11:24 PM

Rozsival is still playing hot potato with the puck. He gets plenty of opportunities to one-time it but he waits that extra second and blows it. He either holds onto the puck or passes it back. One-time it, damnit!

Whoot Whoot 10-18-2008 12:37 AM

Rangers Power Play Looks the Same as 07 Even with new Players

Lots of new faces on the power play - same results. Stand still - pass, pass, pass. Roszival facing the other defense men instead of the net. Shoot from the Jagr zone, boards. Defensemen miss the net on a slap shot one timer after the crowd starts to make some negative energy. First PP unit out regardless of who is hot or not.

We need a new special teams coach - this is brutal. I almost prefer 5-5.

chip chipperson* 10-18-2008 12:59 AM

the pp looked a lot better when jagr ran it and even then it wasn't that good. maybe we should sign shanny and put him on the pp. it wouldn't hurt

darrenturcotte#8 10-18-2008 01:39 AM

I'm telling you, it looked great in pre season when redden and rozy switched places... It forces the d to respect the one timer thus they play higher opening up the lower half of the zone for a 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 down low. When the F collapses a point is open for a one timer. A few plays like that and you get a tip or a rebound or a Redden goal...

LyNX27 10-18-2008 04:55 AM

It's the same system, different players. The Rangers seem to not be able to sustain pressure or they start to crack heavily (look at Buffalo game) It's doing ok... but we dont have that "SERIOUS" Blast from the point which a good PP has, someone who w/o frills put that puck on net, and heavy. They make chances and occasionally one slides by. Besides that, they are doing ok... I think i've seen enough puck cycling on the PP to last me 3 life times :facepalm:

shon 10-18-2008 05:41 AM

The second unit has more puck pressure.
V -Z-D with G -M
they have been doing well. let's split them up.?? at least with G -M on the points they shoot the puck G seems to be able to make a pass on the stick and get pucks on net.
But no they have to go with their 6&7 million dollar d men not matter what.

bumrusherer 10-18-2008 05:50 AM

Blueliners are struggling to make plays right now. They are predictable and it hurts our overall flow on the PP.

As a PK unit, if you know that the Blueliners wont do anything other than shoot from distance, you know that if you put pressure on them to do something else. More often than not, they will get out of their comfort zone and turn the puck over.

Blueshirt Special 10-18-2008 07:24 AM

too many cross-ice folly floaters.

pass the puck with some snap fro crying out loud!!

:shakehead

BDA 10-18-2008 07:51 AM

exactly..the puck is slow moving, and the dmen are thinking way to long to do something with it....gives plenty of time for the forwards to close down the shooting lane....its almost like they are afraid to shoot, with Jagr gone I was hoping Rozy would grow a pair and start shooting, guess not

DonCherrysSuit 10-18-2008 08:28 AM

Shanny ought to take over for Perry Pern. The guy's a great interview, but an inept special teams coach.

UAlbanySniper27 10-18-2008 10:36 AM

looks like its time for a change, perry pern needs to take his awful act on the road, i dunno what he is telling his D men but they are afraid to shoot the puck. I like the mara girardi pair on def hopefully mara starts hitting the net and it will b lethal, as for rosi and redden i thought when jagr left rosi would unload but it doesnt seem that way, someone needs to grab rosi by the throat and tell him to shoot the puck. whenever he shoots on net he scores, him and redden playing give and go on the point ruins the whole flow to the pp. seems like eveyr1 is too hesitant and needs to show some confidence on the PP and trust their instincts

HenriksBetter 10-18-2008 11:22 AM

At the start of the season they was a lot of movement on the PP. Guys were constantly skating and the puck was moved by quick, short passes. Now everyone is standing still. Passes are soft and sloppy. The points are reluctant to shoot. I have no clue what happened. One thing i do know, Rozsival needs to take a seat on the PP. He coughs up the puck at least once every PP. It is really going to cost the Rangers some shorthanded goals if he continues with the turnovers.

RMcDonagh 10-18-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo23 (Post 15904736)
Shanny ought to take over for Perry Pern. The guy's a great interview, but an inept special teams coach.

So Brendan Shanahan (who's looking to play Hockey, not coach it) would be a better coach with not a game's experience?

darrenturcotte#8 10-18-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash the Net (Post 15905933)
So Brendan Shanahan (who's looking to play Hockey, not coach it) would be a better coach with not a game's experience?

I agree that Shanny is not the answer... but YES, Pern is worthless so any kid with 3 yrs of youth hockey under his belt could do a better job. "Ok, we're 0-5 tonight, lets get that same unit out and try the same things, maybe we'll get lucky and they will score on themselves."

Thefalkon 10-18-2008 12:25 PM

Our PP 13.5%...

FLYLine24 10-18-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRhockey16 (Post 15906309)
Our PP 13.5%...

Going by PP %'s from last season...that would rank us dead last.

045NYR 10-18-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shon (Post 15904467)
The second unit has more puck pressure.
V -Z-D with G -M
they have been doing well. let's split them up.?? at least with G -M on the points they shoot the puck G seems to be able to make a pass on the stick and get pucks on net.
But no they have to go with their 6&7 million dollar d men not matter what.

i agree. once mara starts hitting the net they can be lethal. at least better than the other D pairing.

Glen Teflon Sather 10-18-2008 01:27 PM

I like how Renney mixed up 3 lines, and yet left the PP combos the same. The first unit is still too fancy even without Jagr. Rozsival is completely useless, some one needs to tell him to get aggresive. This leads to teams shadowing Redden, which leads to him not getting a shot. Gomez won't shoot, it's not his job anyway. Drury is in front waiting for a shot, and Naslund who still hasn't made the trip back from Prague plays patty cake back and forth with Gomez. This finally leads to a poor shot attempt followed by a clear.

The second unit is so much better because Girardi will try for a shot, so will Mara even though he always misses the net. Voros does a good job in front, Dubi and Zherdev are the ones setting up the plays. The bottom line: Perry Pearn needs to go.

darrenturcotte#8 10-18-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 045 DEUCENYR (Post 15906597)
i agree. once mara starts hitting the net they can be lethal. at least better than the other D pairing.

The reason Mara is missing the net/shooting wristers is that he's on the left side thus he must control the puck before shooting. If brain dead Renney moved him to the right side he could use that wicked one timer off the pass with a clear shooting lane as its hard to get in position to block a one timer. Then he can just hit the net rather than trying to shoot through legs. This is just plain stupid at this point. I really dont get it...

segmentation fault 10-18-2008 02:22 PM

Werent we over 20% 2 games ago? What happened?

Unpredictable1 10-18-2008 02:23 PM

Our PP1 unit does the same as our PP1 unit last year.

I can't count how many times I yelled and Rosival to shoot it, that Jagr isn't over there anymore. So frustrating.

I like it more when Dubi and Co are out there on the PP.

LyNX27 10-18-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by segmentation fault (Post 15907723)
Werent we over 20% 2 games ago? What happened?

7 chances against Toronto... 20 dollars...

Making Toskala look like Patrick Roy... Priceless, for everything else, theres 5 on 5's.