HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Tanguay Or Kovalev? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=563571)

Shabutie 10-19-2008 02:12 PM

Tanguay Or Kovalev?

With the UFAs + RFAs that we have to re-sign, it would be damn near impossible to sign all 3 of Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay. So (hypothetically), if these two wouldn't take a huge hometown discount who between these two do you believe that Gainey will re-sign?

Ape Clutch 10-19-2008 02:15 PM

Tangs is 28 or 29... heck ya we keep him

and this has nothing to do with bandwagon hopping, honestly guys 28 vs. 36 ?

really?

We'll have everyone back though, (our top 9 atleast) so im not that worried (well maaybe not Lang..but that's it)

Peacock 10-19-2008 02:16 PM

I'm gonna wait a bit before answering this. Seems like Kovalev hasn't quite hit his stride yet and Tanguay's production could drop as the season goes on.

EDIT: Ape clutch does have a very very good point though.

24 And Counting* 10-19-2008 02:22 PM

I say we keep 'em both.

Kovalev can do a lot of things Tanguay can't and vice-versa...

I'd rather have those 2 guys on my team and know what they are (and are not) capable of than sign a 8$M/year Gaborik and don't know what to expect...

Shabutie 10-19-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peacock (Post 15925996)
I'm gonna wait a bit before answering this. Seems like Kovalev hasn't quite hit his stride yet and Tanguay's production could drop as the season goes on.

EDIT: Ape clutch does have a very very good point though.

I don't think we should base our answers on point production but rather the players' style. Tanguay I feel makes those around him better, where as Kovalev [I feel] requires others around him to make him better. His style of play can be irritating at times and I feel that he's not going in the same direction as Carbo is. He likes to slow the game pace down, and I don't feel he utilizes his linemates like he could.

TheDamned 10-19-2008 02:24 PM

Koivu is gone, we keep both anyway.

Kovalev can win a game by himself, not Tanguay.

kovalev47 10-19-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDamned (Post 15926112)

Agreed.

Cupmonger 10-19-2008 02:27 PM

Really? so soon?

Shabutie 10-19-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsFansLoveDP (Post 15926072)
I say we keep 'em both.

Kovalev can do a lot of things Tanguay can't and vice-versa...

I'd rather have those 2 guys on my team and know what they are (and are not) capable of than sign a 8$M/year Gaborik and don't know what to expect...

Unless both of these guys take a huge pay cut, we won't be able to retain them both.

Someone should try to come up with a scenario where we could sign both of these guys AND Higgins, Plekanec, Komisarek, Koivu, Chipchura, Latendresse... Cuz from my calculations it is very much impossible. Not to mention we have to give ourselves a little breathing room to sign Price in the season after.

wedge 10-19-2008 02:28 PM

I've voted Kovalev because it's been 5 ******** GAMES!!!

come on!!! wait a few months before doing that kind of polls!!!

CanadienErrant* 10-19-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ape Clutch (Post 15925993)
Tangs is 28 or 29... heck ya we keep him

and this has nothing to do with bandwagon hopping, honestly guys 28 vs. 36 ?

really?

We'll have everyone back though, (our top 9 atleast) so im not that worried (well maaybe not Lang..but that's it)

I would like to keep BOTH, but age factor might command to keep Tanguay instead of Kovy if $$$ is on the line.

Shabutie 10-19-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDamned (Post 15926103)

Koivu is gone in order to keep Kovalev/Tanguay? I very much doubt that.

redmachine54 10-19-2008 02:29 PM

It's a tough one if we could only keep either one. Personally I'd go for Tanguay, as he's much younger and would be around much longer than Kovalev, but Kovalev can change a game on his own. Tanguay does give us a top-line winger for a lot longer, though.

I hope it doesn't come to this at the end of the season, but we'll see.

Shabutie 10-19-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarev (Post 15926157)

Okay, say both finish with 80pts a piece, who do you keep?

redmachine54 10-19-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarev (Post 15926157)

TC doesn't mention the play of either Tanguay or Kovalev, so I don't think the topic's motivated by their current play. It's a realistic question that Gainey may face (provided neither is traded, which they shouldn't be) at the end of the season.

This question was asked before the season started, as well. I don't think their current play really factors into it.

JMMR 10-19-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDamned (Post 15926112)

Kovalev is a God.
Tanguay is a demi god.

guest1467 10-19-2008 02:32 PM

I think we can keep all three, I don't see Kovalev and Koivu getting any raises and Tanguay may get 6 million max. We have (I think) around 11 million coming off the books. I think if one of two were to go it would be Tanguay. Kovalev is a big leader on this club and has a gamebreaker factor that Tangs doesn't have.

Ape Clutch 10-19-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDamned (Post 15926103)

so we lose Koivu and Lang... what are ur plans at center?

or u rather keep Lang instead of Koivu? honestly... I like Koivu and Kovalev what the heck is this idea that if u like one u must hate the other?

and don't say u don't hate him... fair enough hate is a strong word, but it seems to me that any opportunity to move Koivu u want to move him?

honestly ppl who want koivu moved... we just now got our 3rd center to terrorize the league with 3 offensive lines and you ppl want to move Koivu?

huh? even the Gaborik for Koivu + pick etc... was retarded as a proposal... who do we play our top 9 wingers with? Lapierre? Chipchura?

really?

Shabutie 10-19-2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmachine54 (Post 15926212)
TC doesn't mention the play of either Tanguay or Kovalev, so I don't think the topic's motivated by their current play. It's a realistic question that Gainey may face (provided neither is traded, which they shouldn't be) at the end of the season.

This question was asked before the season started, as well. I don't think their current play really factors into it.

Exactly....I'm not asking based on current play.

guest1467 10-19-2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ape Clutch (Post 15926230)
so we lose Koivu and Lang... what are ur plans at center?

or u rather keep Lang instead of Koivu? honestly... I like Koivu and Kovalev what the heck is this idea that if u like one u must hate the other?

and don't say u don't hate him... fair enough hate is a strong word, but it seems to me that any opportunity to move Koivu u want to move him?

honestly ppl who want koivu moved... we just now got our 3rd center to terrorize the league with 3 offensive lines and you ppl want to move Koivu?

huh? even the Gaborik for Koivu + pick etc... was retarded as a proposal... who do we play our top 9 wingers with? Lapierre? Chipchura?

really?

He never said anything about Koivu being moved. Regardless, I don't want to see Koivu gone at all but we do have Chipchura and Maxwell who could both be ready for offensive roles at center.

Ape Clutch 10-19-2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 (Post 15926220)
I think we can keep all three, I don't see Kovalev and Koivu getting any raises and Tanguay may get 6 million max. We have (I think) around 11 million coming off the books. I think if one of two were to go it would be Tanguay. Kovalev is a big leader on this club and has a gamebreaker factor that Tangs doesn't have.

I can see us signing all 3

If these 3 are intelligent (which they are) they are all gonna take a home town discount

12 for all 3 of them, It can happen and I will dream the dream

Shabutie 10-19-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 (Post 15926338)
He never said anything about Koivu being moved. Regardless, I don't want to see Koivu gone at all but we do have Chipchura and Maxwell who could both be ready for offensive roles at center.

TheDamned said "Koivu is gone" so yes he was speaking about Koivu being moved in favor of Kovalev or Tanguay...

Obviously this wouldn't happen.

guest1467 10-19-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ape Clutch (Post 15926343)
I can see us signing all 3

If these 3 are intelligent (which they are) they are all gonna take a home town discount

12 for all 3 of them, It can happen and I will dream the dream

I don't see how Koivu or Kovalev could warrant a more expensive contract considering they are now 4 years older and have similar point production as when the original contracts were awarded.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie (Post 15926350)
TheDamned said "Koivu is gone" so yes he was speaking about Koivu being moved in favor of Kovalev or Tanguay...

Obviously this wouldn't happen.

No, he could be implying that they would let him walk.

Cyrrus147 10-19-2008 02:44 PM

Tanguay because he is younger...but I don't see why we should have to choose between the two.

CanadienErrant* 10-19-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 (Post 15926338)

I would not put the name "Chipchura" and the word "offensive" in the same sentence. Jason Ward and Chad Kilger are the types of players that Chipchura is closer to in style and talent.

As for Maxwell, let's wait until his first pro season in Hamilton ta make a real judgement on his abilities and possibilities to make the NHL soon.