HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Steve Begin and Joel Bouchard (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=56389)

Buffaloed 02-27-2004 04:01 PM

Steve Begin and Joel Bouchard

It didn't seem like much at the time when these guys were lost in the waiver draft. But this team would be a lot closer to a playoff spot had decisions been different. Bouchard's been a solid player for the Rangers (27gp, 1g, 7a, +3, 10pim, 16.96min). He was better than Delmore in preseason, but since he didn't cost a 3rd rounder they let him go. Begin's been a sparkplug for the Habs and has scored some key goals (39gp, 7g, 4a, +4, 37pim, 11.67mins). Andrew Peters was protected instead of Begin. There's nothing earth-shattering about these players, but these are the kind of mistakes the Sabres can't afford to make.

Fan-of-#9 02-27-2004 04:19 PM

I definetly agree.

Begin would have been nice to have, but in the case of Bouchard...we need him. Delmore seemed like a nice pickup at the time, but that's obviously not the case now.

When we acquired Bouchard, I didn't really know who he was. I turned on my NHL 2004 and saw that he was rated as an 85, in the same league as Z and other #1-2 defensemen in the league. I was shocked. Then we let him walk, and I soon realized that EA sports really overrated him..

Anyways he'd be a solid guy to have at this point in time.

Marc the Habs Fan 02-27-2004 04:37 PM

I was just about to ask who you guys protected instead of Begin...was Boulton also protected in that draft?

Fan-of-#9 02-27-2004 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
I was just about to ask who you guys protected instead of Begin...was Boulton also protected in that draft?

I hope not!

JOHNBOY 02-27-2004 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan

No it wasn't Boulton it was Andrew Peter's.

As for still having Bouchard and Begin I think it would have made a huge difference.
Nice move Darcy. :rant:

Buffaloed 02-27-2004 07:01 PM

What's stopping Darcy from offering a low pick to get Bouchard back? The Rangers aren't going anywhere.

Takeo 02-27-2004 07:15 PM

Begin and Bouchard could be nice depth players, but that's about it. We need difference-makers, not more of the same.

tinye 02-27-2004 07:49 PM

Peters didn't play a NHL game at that point....he didn't need to be protected!!

Chainshot 02-28-2004 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffaloed
What's stopping Darcy from offering a low pick to get Bouchard back? The Rangers aren't going anywhere.

What was stopping him from doing anything during the December swoon? What stopped him last year? Or the year before that? This is an especially predictable sort of management that continues to bear no fruit year after year. Perhaps Darcy's insane, since only those out of their minds continue to try the same thing over and over and over again in the face of repeated failure.

Chainshot 02-28-2004 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinye
Peters didn't play a NHL game at that point....he didn't need to be protected!!

He wasn't, he was exempt.

<i>Buffalo Sabres

Protected

Maxim Afinogenov, F; Daniel Briere, F; Curtis Brown, F; Brian Campbell, D; Tim Connolly, F; Andy Delmore, D; Chris Drury, F; Jean-Pierre Dumont, F; Rory Fitzpatrick, D; Jochen Hecht, F; Dmitri Kalinin, D; Ales Kotalik, F; Adam Mair, F; Jay McKee, D; James Patrick, D; Taylor Pyatt, F; Miroslav Satan, F; Alexei Zhitnik, D; Martin Biron, G; Mika Noronen, G.

Available

Jeremy Adduono, F; Steve Begin, F; Jason Botterill, F; Joel Bouchard, D; Eric Boulton, F; Brian Chapman, D; David Cullen, D; Norm Milley, F; Rick Mrozik, D; Domenic Pittis, F; Chris Taylor, F; Tom Askey, G.</i>

lecherous 02-28-2004 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot
Available

Jeremy Adduono, F; Steve Begin, F; Jason Botterill, F; Joel Bouchard, D; Eric Boulton, F; Brian Chapman, D; David Cullen, D; Norm Milley, F; Rick Mrozik, D; Domenic Pittis, F; Chris Taylor, F; Tom Askey, G.

I thought we canned Adduono like 4 years ago. Weird. Also, I've never even heard of Rick Mrozik. Is he a Rochester player or what?

Chainshot 02-28-2004 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lecherous
I thought we canned Adduono like 4 years ago. Weird. Also, I've never even heard of Rick Mrozik. Is he a Rochester player or what?

They mistreated Adduono just two short off-seasons ago. He's still their "property". And I'd like to give Carriere a knock upside the head for that move....

Mrozik is one of Gage's veteran signees. He was part of the St. John Flames Calder team in 2000-01 and nondescript in terms of manner on ice. A solid AHLer...

WhoIsJimBob 02-28-2004 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot
Mrozik is one of Gage's veteran signees. He was part of the St. John Flames Calder team in 2000-01 and nondescript in terms of manner on ice. A solid AHLer...

Rick is very much like a left handed shooting Rory Fitzpatrick with a little less footspeed.