HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Pacioretty finds AHL is a huge step ! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=564244)

CanadienErrant* 10-21-2008 02:43 PM

Pacioretty finds AHL is a huge step !

http://www.rds.ca/bulldogs/chroniques/262034.html

According to Don Lever, Pacioretty finds the step to the AHL higher than he expected, and he is kind of frustrated.

So much for people who thought that Pac was NHL-ready and should had stayed at NHL level and Latendresse should had been sent down to the minors !

He might be ready in 40 games, or even next season. But he is not right now. It is pro hockey and he's gonna have to play more than 35 games a year.

In the meantime, an undrafted, smallish center with one year at pro level is doing quite well: David Desharnais. For some resons, he might never play at NHL level, but he is definitely trying his best.

Lever is also very pleased with Maxwell, Weber and White

Monctonscout 10-21-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadienErrant (Post 15955106)

According to Don Lever, Pacioretty finds the step to the AHL higher than he expected, and he is kind of frustrated.

So much for people who thought that Pac was NHL-ready and should had stayed at NHL level and Latendresse should had been sent down to the minors !

He might be ready in 40 games, or even next season. But he is not right now. It is pro hockey and he's gonna have to play more than 35 games a year.

I hate to say I told you so...:)

In all seriousness, it's not uncommon for young players to struggle a bit after the disapointment of being sent down. I think Max will be fine, he just needs to get used to the league and pro life. He has all the tools and even if he needs 2 years AHL, we still have D'Angostini and Chipchura knocking at the door.

Belso 10-21-2008 02:50 PM

No surprise here. He was used to young inexperienced College students. Now he has to face more game games a week and guys how know every trick in the book... He'll adjust with time...

Habitants 10-21-2008 02:52 PM

who would have guessed that he needed more time:sarcasm:

and yet so many wanted him with the habs. he is in the right place, where he will get to play the most and learn from his mistakes and improve his game.

CanadienErrant* 10-21-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belso (Post 15955195)
No surprise here. He was used to young inexperienced College students. Now he has to face more game games a week and guys how know every trick in the book... He'll adjust with time...

I am sure of that.

It is just that you can't judge the "readiness" of a young player only on training camp et pre-season games. It took 2 years to Lats to reach some kind of potential, and he has still lots to do.

CareyClutch 10-21-2008 02:53 PM

Such a bust:shakehead

CH4 10-21-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

In the meantime, an undrafted, smallish center with one year at pro level is doing quite well: David Desharnais. For some resons, he might never play at NHL level, but he is definitely trying his best.

Glad to see Deharnais is doing that well.

He'll have a great career in Europe in a few years, IMO.

CanadienErrant* 10-21-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason allison'fans (Post 15955228)

Whjat are u talking about ? No one here said he was a bust....:shakehead

Artyukhin* 10-21-2008 02:55 PM

i hope he doesnt take back off to russia

googlymoogly 10-21-2008 03:00 PM

I think Latendresse couldn't handle the jump either. He is just starting to become what we have expected. I think Pacman in the AHL will improve his skill faster than what Lats has accomplished. This is not a Lats bash just pointing out that skipping a level of play can stunt your growth.

McTusk 10-21-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by googlymoogly (Post 15955325)
I think Latendresse couldn't handle the jump either. He is just starting to become what we have expected. I think Pacman in the AHL will improve his skill faster than what Lats has accomplished. This is not a Lats bash just pointing out that skipping a level of play can stunt your growth.

Maybe who Latendresse is playing with this year has more to do with it than his past, various line-mates. I'm not a Lats fanboy myself, but maybe look at his big picture a little more objectively and you'll see it's not similar to Max Pac at all. Will Patches be a bust if he spends a whole year in the AHL and then only scores 16 goals in his possible first NHL season as a 20 year-old?

Marc the Habs Fan 10-21-2008 03:12 PM

He's also been ''cut'' from a team for the first time, it's probably a shock.

Quagmier 10-21-2008 03:14 PM

Linemates are everything for a guy like Pacioretty IMO.

When he was playing preseason, he was flying on the wing with guys like Kovalev and Lang, and getting fed tape to tape by guys like Markov and Hamrlik. Granted he still performed well on a line with Maxwell and Dags, but his true breakout game came when he got a call on the top line.

This year in the A is all about learning to manufacture his own chances. I still believe that he could come up to the Show, play on one of the top 3 lines if someone gets injured and be a solid threat night in night out...but playing with lesser teammates, as well as against lesser opposition, allows MaxPac to explore his game and finetune what does and doesn't work for him.

The AHL is a harder jump than preseason for this reason, and it will be an important step for him to take, much like it was for guys like Higgins and Plekanec. I'm sure he will remember this season when, be it next year or the year after, he's playing with elite talent and getting passes he wouldn't dream of getting in the A.

Kriss E 10-21-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadienErrant (Post 15955247)
Whjat are u talking about ? No one here said he was a bust....:shakehead

Was the sarcasm in his post that hard to detect?

lou4gehrig 10-21-2008 04:11 PM

I mean what 19 year old wouldn't say the same thing? It's just "pro-speak" saying the politically correct thing. Do you expect him to say "I'm so much better than these guys and this league, it's so easy?" He just being respectful to his teammates, coaches, opponents.

I don't think it's at all indicative of where he is and where we expect him to be. The simple fact the Habs sent him down there in the first place is a sign of where he is in his development.

JrHockeyFan 10-21-2008 04:27 PM

Oh well Glumac is tearing things up with 3 goals in 4 games. Whole new bandwagon for some folks to jump on:sarcasm:

AllCanadienFan 10-21-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Lever is also very pleased with Maxwell, Weber and White

From what I,ve seen Maxwell and D'Agostini(sp) have been the most effective. Weber at this point is one dimensional, power play, but I'm sure he will improve.

Goldthorpe 10-21-2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quagmier (Post 15955515)
Linemates are everything for a guy like Pacioretty IMO.

When he was playing preseason, he was flying on the wing with guys like Kovalev and Lang, and getting fed tape to tape by guys like Markov and Hamrlik. Granted he still performed well on a line with Maxwell and Dags, but his true breakout game came when he got a call on the top line.

This year in the A is all about learning to manufacture his own chances. I still believe that he could come up to the Show, play on one of the top 3 lines if someone gets injured and be a solid threat night in night out...but playing with lesser teammates, as well as against lesser opposition, allows MaxPac to explore his game and finetune what does and doesn't work for him.

The AHL is a harder jump than preseason for this reason, and it will be an important step for him to take, much like it was for guys like Higgins and Plekanec. I'm sure he will remember this season when, be it next year or the year after, he's playing with elite talent and getting passes he wouldn't dream of getting in the A.

I think your analysis is spot on, I think the fact that Patches also played with excellent senior linemates last season may also factor in the situation, and I think "learning to manufacture his own chances" is also what lacked in Latendresse development up to this season.

Goldthorpe 10-21-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan (Post 15956498)
Oh well Glumac is tearing things up with 3 goals in 4 games. Whole new bandwagon for some folks to jump on:sarcasm:

IMHO, Desharnais is the one who should start getting some serious attention, especially if he keeps it up like that.

Habs 10-21-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

http://olzt0g.bay.livefilestore.com/...PM/2ikuxck.gif

montreal 10-21-2008 06:54 PM

I haven't been too impressed with him so far but I thought he played his best game on Saturday night. Figures that neulion which does the webcasts for Hamilton games, has only the first 3 games archived but of course my luck the best game so far I can't rewatch. Maybe the fight he had will wake him up a bit.

I'm hoping at some point Lever puts him on a line with Maxwell, I think they could do well together. At some point I hope Lever tries Pac Maxwell D'Ago they sure would have some speed and scoring potential.

Habskrieg 10-21-2008 08:31 PM

I'm part f those who think it would be nice to see pacman a few times during the season, like 5-10 games maybe, just as eye candy, even if he doesn't do too well.
He's having a hard time? Good this way either he folds, or he gets better. With all the talk about him, seems like he'll take the steps necessary to improve.

Talent Analyst 10-21-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CH4THECUP (Post 15955237)
Glad to see Deharnais is doing that well.

He'll have a great career in Europe in a few years, IMO.

No way! he's not soft and slow like Locke.

goalchenyuk 10-21-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talent Analyst (Post 15960589)
No way! he's not soft and slow like Locke.

a PM Bouchard maybe ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason allison'fans (Post 15955228)

a bust and a :dainty:

Hope Gainey will try to trade him before it'll be too late to get a return .

Timmins :shakehead

KaTaKlIsM 10-21-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal (Post 15958452)
I haven't been too impressed with him so far but I thought he played his best game on Saturday night. Figures that neulion which does the webcasts for Hamilton games, has only the first 3 games archived but of course my luck the best game so far I can't rewatch. Maybe the fight he had will wake him up a bit.

I'm hoping at some point Lever puts him on a line with Maxwell, I think they could do well together. At some point I hope Lever tries Pac Maxwell D'Ago they sure would have some speed and scoring potential.

sometimes i'm wondering if Lever doesnt do it on purpose... everybody knows that their was a great chemistry between the two during development and the camp...