HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   How's Bertuzzi looking so far? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=564742)

Walkingthroughforest 10-22-2008 09:18 PM

How's Bertuzzi looking so far?

I'm in New Zealand for the next 6 months, which is effectivly the entire season, and I haven't been able to see any games at all or see any highlights because the computers here are ****.
So I can see that he has 5 goals, which isn't that shabby, but how's he playing?

bam09 10-22-2008 09:48 PM

He has great hands. He is using his body and making the smart play most of the time. Great sense around the net, recipient of many "freebies" simply because of this.

He sometimes tries to be a little to fancy, but he is completing all those great passes.

He and Iggy have good chemistry so far. Cammalleri is learning to play with them now.

flamesfan12 10-22-2008 10:54 PM

Easily been our best forward thus far in the season. Great hands and has used his big body very well. Him and Iggy have developed some chemistry together, but I've found that they have been way to fancy at times. No complaints at all about Bertuzzi. Happy to have him on the team.

Hyperkookeez* 10-22-2008 11:36 PM

so far he's been an absolute bargain

monster_bertuzzi 10-23-2008 03:38 AM

Now you all see where I was coming from.

puck_08 10-23-2008 11:51 AM

He has been terrific.

Hyde 10-23-2008 12:54 PM

He really just seems happy.

I guess that wasn't one of things you're looking for as it isn't a reflection on his play. But that is one of the main things I see when I'm watching Bert.

monster_bertuzzi 10-23-2008 09:33 PM

Whats up with 5 goals and no assist though? He was always a set up guy first and foremost. If he can keep up this goalscoring pace, he should be over 70 points playing on that top line.

bam09 10-23-2008 10:22 PM

The finishing. He has set up numerous great chances, sliding it through the crease where all anyone has to do is get a stick on it. Hasn't happened.

debil 10-31-2008 03:18 AM

bertuzzi seems to be a huge defensive liability. he's -7 in 10 games.

jeremywilhelm 10-31-2008 03:58 AM

iggy is -2 or -3. its a matter of iggy having put up points in the last couple games and bertuzzi slumping, if he had put up similar points to iginla, they would have the same plus/minus... unfortunately...

Buffalofan84 10-31-2008 12:07 PM

isn't bertuzzi still on a line with iginla? and if not - what are the lines?

tsumetai 10-31-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyde (Post 15984305)
He really just seems happy.

I guess that wasn't one of things you're looking for as it isn't a reflection on his play. But that is one of the main things I see when I'm watching Bert.

I totally agree. I think a return to form is more psychological than anything else. Based on the way he plays, he has vet moves and experience and I think Keenan shouldn't interfere too much, just give him confidence.

abracanada 11-02-2008 08:37 AM

Bert finally put some assists on the board and he was impressive doing it. What a pick up this guy has been.

saillias 11-02-2008 11:04 AM

One of the important pieces to Calgary's success this year. Funny that we called him a Nolan replacement when in reality he's been a better set up man than Tanguay ever was. Despite having only 2 assists he's been our best playmaker by far.

Showed his strength on the GWG last night. I don't think he even noticed Kopitar trying to check him from behind, it didn't move him an inch.

GoFlames 11-02-2008 11:19 AM

Yeah it took time to get those assists but I can still not get over that pass to Langkow for the winner. If Bert continues to do this and keep turning the red light on he will silence all but his most zealous critics that he is back.:handclap:

flamesfan12 11-02-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debil (Post 16104506)
bertuzzi seems to be a huge defensive liability. he's -7 in 10 games.

The -7 looks bad, but I've actually thought he has been pretty good defensively. Plus minus isn't the best stat and he definetly has been trying defensively to help out. Definetly better in his own zone then when he was in Vancouver.

Hyde 11-02-2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsumetai (Post 16111578)
I totally agree. I think a return to form is more psychological than anything else. Based on the way he plays, he has vet moves and experience and I think Keenan shouldn't interfere too much, just give him confidence.

I don't think we have to worry about Keenan and Bert.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamesfan12 (Post 16133933)
The -7 looks bad, but I've actually thought he has been pretty good defensively. Plus minus isn't the best stat and he definetly has been trying defensively to help out. Definetly better in his own zone then when he was in Vancouver.

Yep, Bertuzzi has definitely worked hard defensively, much harder than his history indicated he would.

Dions shoulder 11-02-2008 05:28 PM

I have noticed a couple of occasions in the past couple games where he got minus ratings that Conroy was entirely to blame.

I am not concerned with Bert's defensive play at all... I am very concerned about Conroy's miscues...

abracanada 11-02-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saillias (Post 16133276)
One of the important pieces to Calgary's success this year. Funny that we called him a Nolan replacement when in reality he's been a better set up man than Tanguay ever was. Despite having only 2 assists he's been our best playmaker by far.

Showed his strength on the GWG last night. I don't think he even noticed Kopitar trying to check him from behind, it didn't move him an inch.

Better than Tanguay at setting up plays may be a stretch but for a big man who goes to the net, he is exceptional. The guy has eyes in the back of his head I swear. And Iggy got a post or it would have been three assists for the big guy last night.

monster_bertuzzi 11-02-2008 09:04 PM

What is he tippin the scales at now? Heard he lost all kinds of weight.

Pomeranian 11-02-2008 09:48 PM

Not sure about his weight. Everyone comments on how trim he is. Bert seems to not only be contributing in the obvious way but I am getting the feel he is a leader in the locker room etc. Always giving interviews to the Calgary media, (well, I read the Herald) seems real upbeat and relaxed.

StreakingRed 11-02-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi (Post 16141986)
What is he tippin the scales at now? Heard he lost all kinds of weight.

He came into Flames camp at 226 lbs.

Northern Neighbour 12-03-2008 09:12 AM

After a good start to the season, Bertuzzi has been MIA for a couple of weeks now. He's not generating a whole lot of offense and hasn't been a physical presence. He needs to be more of a factor in games. Fortunately, players like Glencross, Bourque, and Moss have stepped up their games to provide secondary scoring.

Diggy 12-03-2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour (Post 16623531)
After a good start to the season, Bertuzzi has been MIA for a couple of weeks now. He's not generating a whole lot of offense and hasn't been a physical presence.

Sounds like he is returning to the fine form he had in Anaheim last season, where he also said he lost a lot of weight before the season started.