HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What's wrong with our second line ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=565920)

rocketlives 10-26-2008 11:01 AM

What's wrong with our second line ?

Last night they were all -2. Kovy did setup Tanguay beautifully on the PP and Plekanec had 13 shots on goals but besides that, they weren't dangerous. Kovalev doesn't seem to be a happy camper right now. I know from previous comments he made that he doesn't like players who waste shots on goal when they don't have a play.

If I were in Carbo's shoes, I'd try:

Tanguay-Koivu-Latendresse
Higgins-Lang-Kovalev
SKostitsyn-Plekanec-Kostopoulos.

Kosto could be replaced by Andrei Kostitsyn when he's back from his injury. Thoughts.

Fire Brunet* 10-26-2008 11:04 AM

We're 7 games into the season.

x-bob 10-26-2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketlives (Post 16030727)
Last night they were all -2. Kovy did setup Tanguay beautifully on the PP and Plekanec had 13 shots on goals but besides that, they weren't dangerous. Kovalev doesn't seem to be a happy camper right now. I know from previous comments he made that he doesn't like players who waste shots on goal when they don't have a play.

If I were in Carbo's shoes, I'd try:

Tanguay-Koivu-Latendresse
Higgins-Lang-Kovalev
SKostitsyn-Plekanec-Kostopoulos.

Kosto could be replaced by Andrei Kostitsyn when he's back from his injury. Thoughts.

I find it funny how you can say that Plekanec had 13 shots on goals but wasn't dangerous. It baffles me. Sure, the points aren't racking up for that line but they aren't playing bad. Plekanec had an awesome game last night and they had multiple chances of scoring in the 3rd period. If it wasn`t for Giguere, they would have probebly had 2-3 goals last game.

muzion 10-26-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketlives (Post 16030727)
Plekanec had 13 shots on goals but besides that, they weren't dangerous. Kovalev doesn't seem to be a happy camper right now. I know from previous comments he made that he doesn't like players who waste shots on goal when they don't have a play.

ten of em right in Giguere's chest :pullhair:

JTWymanFan* 10-26-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x-bob (Post 16030759)
I find it funny how you can say that Plekanec had 13 shots on goals but wasn't dangerous. It baffles me. Sure, the points aren't racking up for that line but they aren't playing bad. Plekanec had an awesome game last night and they had multiple chances of scoring in the 3rd period. If it wasn`t for Giguere, they would have probebly had 2-3 goals last game.

+1...

Krautso 10-26-2008 11:10 AM

Plekanec looked like jason blake last night. shooting from everywhere regardless of whether there was a decent opportunity to score. Thats not how the second line scored goals last year. It was through crafty play and skilled passing to present good scoring opportunities. I'd rather they take 4 good shots than 20 crappy ones....

Ross MacLochness 10-26-2008 11:12 AM

The line aren't getting blown up.

They scored 90 goals last year. 90. Last year combining Lats, Koivu, and Tanguays goal totals and you get 50. The Lang line? 57. And Pleks-Kovy-Andrei didn't start clicking until mid December.

Also, Andrei hasn't played the last two games, he's a big part of the line. But when he was healthy, I noticed Kovalev was trying to do it all himself, the line also wasn't working as hard as they could. But it was just 4 games, and they still put up 3 goals.

They'll be fine. Once Andrei gets back, and Kovalev starts passing the puck regularly, the goals will come.

Whitesnake 10-26-2008 11:14 AM

I really hope we'll stop inventing stuff. Kovalev isn't happy 'cause things aren't going his way. Not the other way around. Journalists see him in the dressing room with a big smile, he has fun in practice, it's in the games that it doesn't work too well for one reason....teams acknowledge that Plekanec isn't doing much and AKost wasn't too much of a threat. So they double their coverage on Kovy and he can't do anything and then becomes frustrated.

Krautso 10-26-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 16030853)
I really hope we'll stop inventing stuff. Kovalev isn't happy 'cause things aren't going his way. Not the other way around. Journalists see him in the dressing room with a big smile, he has fun in practice, it's in the games that it doesn't work too well for one reason....teams acknowledge that Plekanec isn't doing much and AKost wasn't too much of a threat. So they double their coverage on Kovy and he can't do anything and then becomes frustrated.

I don't know about double coverage...kovy tried alot of little trick plays that work more often than not for him but last night they just ended up in turnovers. The second line needs to take a look at how the first line is getting it done. Movement off the puck, creating high-percentage passing lanes and good scoring opportunities. If the only guy moving is the guy carrying the puck, you will turn the puck over. SK and Plek were not moving well without the puck making it very hard on Kovy...forcing him to try and beat a guy one-on-one THEN draw another player off of one of his linemates to create an opportunity. That's pretty low percentage....even for kovy.

Whitesnake 10-26-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krautso (Post 16030951)
I don't know about double coverage...kovy tried alot of little trick plays that work more often than not for him but last night they just ended up in turnovers. The second line needs to take a look at how the first line is getting it done. Movement off the puck, creating high-percentage passing lanes and good scoring opportunities. If the only guy moving is the guy carrying the puck, you will turn the puck over. SK and Plek were not moving well without the puck making it very hard on Kovy...forcing him to try and beat a guy one-on-one THEN draw another player off of one of his linemates to create an opportunity. That's pretty low percentage....even for kovy.

Put Higgins on the Pleks line and put SKost with Lang again. Kosty Jr. looks totally lost with those guys and misses Lang A LOT.

redmachine54 10-26-2008 11:30 AM

They started a bit slow, but after the Philly game, I was sure they'd pick it up. Then Andrei got injured two games later, which really affected the line. Sergei's a gritty player, but Andrei plays with an intimidating edge, and just can't be replaced by his brother.

They'll pick it up. If they stop with the individualistic plays and start playing together, they'll get it going.

Year 101 10-26-2008 11:33 AM

they'll pick it up there gaining momentum and had a lot of shots last night they'll get in back of the net soon enough

Krautso 10-26-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 16030976)
Put Higgins on the Pleks line and put SKost with Lang again. Kosty Jr. looks totally lost with those guys and misses Lang A LOT.

I agree, for some reason Kosty Jr. feels that he has more responsibility with Lang but is content to watch Kovy try to stickhandle through the opposition without offering him support. Pleks should take a long look at the video from last night because wristers from 30 feet out with no traffic and a squared up goalie are bound to end up in the logo. Kovy was looking for quite a few return passes from him that never came...

Habs10Habs 10-26-2008 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 16030976)

I agree, I understood giving SKost a shot with Pleks and Kovy. But now that Higgins is back, SKost should go back to play with Lang. They seemed to have very good chemistry together.

x-bob 10-26-2008 01:13 PM

Also, don't forget that Kovalev has hit a total of 4-5 posts this season. Those chances could have easily went in. Sure they didn't but with time, it will start clicking for them.

HamrlikTheStud* 10-26-2008 01:15 PM

In my opinion, the biggest problem is that teams have adjusted to them.

Or they change their patterns a little bit.
Or we try new combos.

Personnally, I'd wait until we get past the 10 games mark before making changes (a couple more games with AK46) but if it doesn't work any better, than maybe re-uniting Kovy and Lang would be a good idea.

CPrice 10-26-2008 01:21 PM

I really want to see Pleks break out, hes one of my favorite Hab players.

Ross MacLochness 10-26-2008 01:26 PM

Another thing, they play 4 and 1/3 games together and are demoted to "Second line" status now? How bout if Tanguay, Koivu and Lats score 90 goals this season they can be called the top line.

jdmef8vtec* 10-26-2008 01:28 PM

there not passing and cycling like they did last year, looking so far like personal stats are more important. 2/3 are in last year of contracts. Will see when Andrei comes back if they can gel within a few games.

couz 10-26-2008 01:28 PM

What sucks is that we rarely have two great lines firing on all cylinders at the same time...I'm not talking about only this year but over the last three years.

It would be nice to get that Pleks line going while the Koivu line keeps scoring.

HamrlikTheStud* 10-26-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness (Post 16032185)
Another thing, they play 4 and 1/3 games together and are demoted to "Second line" status now? How bout if Tanguay, Koivu and Lats score 90 goals this season they can be called the top line.

To quote PJ Stock :

"What have you done for me lately asti" :laugh:

Seriously, so far this year, they're not playing better than Koivu's line. However, I don't even want us to say 1st, 2nd, 3rd anymore... We have three great lines. Some will slump sometimes, to surge later...

NewHabsEra* 10-26-2008 01:39 PM

Simple, Kovy plays alone, give him 2 grinders and there is no difference...

Marksman 10-26-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness (Post 16032185)

Last year merits only go that far. Koivu line has been carrying the load, eventhough Kovalev and Plekanec have had more ice time early. I think they are becoming 2nd line right now - but that could change in few games.

Galchenyuk x 27 10-26-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzion (Post 16030775)
ten of em right in Giguere's chest :pullhair:

more then half the shots on Giguere are into his chest, he takes up the whole damn net.

JTWymanFan* 10-26-2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96 (Post 16032416)
more then half the shots on Giguere are into his chest, he takes up the whole damn net.

It's all about the Sealy Posterpealy !!!!