HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Enlighten yourself in here (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=566188)

TomPlex 10-27-2008 01:36 AM

Why did Price get the loss on Saturday?

Anyone know why?

m00ks 10-27-2008 01:36 AM

He let in the winning goal, which was the 5th one.

Beakermania* 10-27-2008 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m00ks (Post 16039603)
He let in the winning goal, which was the 5th one.

correct

/end thread...

la25ecoupe 10-27-2008 08:16 AM

Enlighten yourself in here

Hi guys,

I'm a Habs fan but I do not know much about hockey and there's lots of things i don't know regarding the NHL. So i'd like to use this thread to ask questions (including stupid ones) and let the wise men answer. Everyone should do the same and ask questions!

So i'll start with two questions:

1. About referees. How are the referees selected for a particular game. Do the referees belong to a division and rotate within the division? What about the Play-offs. Are the best referees selected to ref the Play-off, especially the Stanley Cup Finals? Is it random pick? Is it age? Experience?

2. About the schedule. How and who is creating the NHL schedule? Do they use a software or they sit down and think this through?

Please enlighten me :)

CH4 10-27-2008 08:21 AM

I believe refs in playoffs are choosing considering performance, general quality of work, which take into account experience etc.

Their schedule is being held by Colin Campbell, who is responsible for them, IMO.

I don't have a clue about the schedule, I would say they have a commitee for that, which is probably kind of not competemnt, IMO.

Qui Gon Dave 10-27-2008 08:25 AM

1. Not sure about regular season, but I'm pretty sure the playoffs officials are selected based on regular season form, not sure who by though. As the rounds go by and less teams are involved, the officials who continue to do the best job stay on and the others go home, like the teams that lose. Well, that's the theory. There will always be arguing over which official is better.

2. Not so sure about this one, although it's tempting to say they picks teams and dates out of a hat :sarcasm:

Someone at the NHL has to sort out the logistics of which nights arenas are free, certain TV right/deals/traditions will be expected to be upheld, how it all pieces together. I've not heard much about it, but I did hear that is somewhat of a nightmare to sort out, especially to the satisfaction of all teams.

Probably doesn't help you much but hopefully some of the 'in the know' guys drop by and set us all straight :)

Judge Sauer* 10-27-2008 08:33 AM

If a team is over the cap before a game and has to forfeit the game and call it an automatic loss, do any of the stats count or do they not play the game at all?

Qui Gon Dave 10-27-2008 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Sauer (Post 16040525)
If a team is over the cap before a game and has to forfeit the game and call it an automatic loss, do any of the stats count or do they not play the game at all?

I think this is probably what you are looking for: link

GoneAway 10-27-2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave (Post 16040576)
I think this is probably what you are looking for: link

Awww Dave...I was hoping for a Rick Roll there :(

Next Best Thing* 10-27-2008 09:32 AM

Why did habs lose vs Anaheim?!?!

BadHabit 10-27-2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Next Best Thing (Post 16040912)

Because the defense didn't have their best game and because we had refs who don't even know the rules:

67.4 Penalty Shot - If a player, except a goalkeeper, while play is in progress, falls on the puck, holds the puck, picks up the puck, or gathers the puck into his body or hands from the ice in the goal crease area, the play shall be stopped immediately and a penalty shot shall be awarded to the non-offending team. See also Rule 63 Delaying the Game.

la25ecoupe 10-27-2008 10:19 AM

But then, what did Georges do?

Let's try to avoid questions like "Why did the habs lose vs Anaheim?!?!". The answer from BadHabit is bright tho.

Renholder 10-27-2008 10:27 AM

Gorges was in the crease, on his knees, wildly trying to bat the puck away. No angle clearly showed that he didn't palm the puck but no angle showed that he did not.

Referee's discretion. He had a pretty good view. We didn't loose because of that call so lets just move on.

usernam 10-27-2008 10:37 AM

Is there a stats guy following every player? How do they know the ice-time/ hits/ etc. for every player?

Rushin Joo 10-27-2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoMo316 (Post 16041442)
Is there a stats guy following every player? How do they know the ice-time/ hits/ etc. for every player?

Or takeaways. Seems like a pretty tough stat to follow.

goalchenyuk 10-27-2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Next Best Thing (Post 16040912)

Because Dandeneault wasn't playing . :shakehead Carbo

Next Best Thing* 10-27-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100th (Post 16041480)
Because Dandeneault wasn't playing . :shakehead Carbo

I am now enlightened.

Now can we never ice Brisebois ever again?

Canadian_Brewtality 10-27-2008 10:51 AM

for the scheduling....

Every team will give in there requests for particular road or home stands, non conflicting with otehr events at the stadiums, etc etc...aka...habs like to start off there season on the road.

All this info is processed in a computer database and it gets worked out to the best of its abilities with trying to respect team's wishes.

Its a crap shoot really.

Next Best Thing* 10-27-2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality (Post 16041581)
for the scheduling....

Every team will give in there requests for particular road or home stands, non conflicting with otehr events at the stadiums, etc etc...aka...habs like to start off there season on the road.

All this info is processed in a computer database and it gets worked out to the best of its abilities with trying to respect team's wishes.

Its a crap shoot really.

Great so Gainey and Carbo think we can win the season by not playing at all during the atart of it? I hope that works out..

Charlie Milles* 10-27-2008 11:07 AM

The Illuminati.

la25ecoupe 10-27-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoMo316 (Post 16041442)

Worse job ever!

Canadian_Brewtality 10-27-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Next Best Thing (Post 16041608)
Great so Gainey and Carbo think we can win the season by not playing at all during the atart of it? I hope that works out..

:shakehead

la25ecoupe 10-27-2008 12:02 PM

Question: If foreign players like AK and SK who don't speak English very well, how does Carbo coch them?

usernam 10-27-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanylapep (Post 16042353)
Question: If foreign players like AK and SK who don't speak English very well, how does Carbo coch them?

They understand it. And they know the basic sentences related to hockey. They also speak Russian, so Kovalev could translate.

ZARTONK 10-27-2008 01:07 PM

does poke cheking count as possession? If not could a team thats being called a penalty agains them score if they poke check the puck into the other net?

(assuming the goalie lesft the net for an extra scater..)