HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Can we get William Shatner to sing the nation anthem? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=566196)

Megaforce 10-27-2008 09:15 AM

Can we get William Shatner to sing the nation anthem?

I'd really love if it the Montreal Canadiens would hire Montreal-born and raised actor/singer William Shatner to sing the national anthem before a game this year. He sings in a really cool manner. I've got a petition linked through my site.

What you think?

Peacock 10-27-2008 09:21 AM

hahaha that would be awesome, but I doubt it'd happen.

He doesn't really sing, per se, more like gives an awesome conference.

Ohh..... canada.

Our hOme and.. nAtive land.

waffledave 10-27-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drive425 (Post 16040849)
Give your head a shake, and never ever forget to take your meds again!

The Shat is a spectacular singer and an amazing showman.

His rendition of Common People is AMAZING.

mcphee 10-27-2008 09:28 AM

He released a spoken word album about, I'm guessing 35-40 years ago that was pretty funny, but I think it was before he learned to laugh at himself, probably wasn't intended to be funny. I remember him doing what sounded like a Shakespearian version of Mr.Tambourine Man that was particularly odd.

I believe though that he did something else, maybe 4-5 years ago, that truthfully, didn't sound too bad.

I'm all for it. I think that Carbo should do his post game conference in a Shatner impression though, make it William Shatner night.

Habinger 10-27-2008 09:53 AM

Maybe Shatner and Nimoy can team up?

For those of you that have yet to experience their musical awesomeness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbv6r_tKnE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC73PHdQX04

Blades 0f Steel 10-27-2008 10:45 AM

Geeks. :shakehead

Charlie Milles* 10-27-2008 11:06 AM

Oh my God, that would be amazing!

We... Stand... On-guard... fOR... Thee...

:yo:

Goldthorpe 10-27-2008 11:13 AM

His rendition of "Rocket Man" is legendary.

LeMAD 10-27-2008 11:27 AM

How about banning anthems from hockey games instead?

HamrlikTheStud* 10-27-2008 11:30 AM

Sorry to be so harsh, but who the **** cares?

Carbo N8 10-27-2008 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 16040891)
He released a spoken word album about, I'm guessing 35-40 years ago that was pretty funny, but I think it was before he learned to laugh at himself, probably wasn't intended to be funny. I remember him doing what sounded like a Shakespearian version of Mr.Tambourine Man that was particularly odd.

I believe though that he did something else, maybe 4-5 years ago, that truthfully, didn't sound too bad.

I'm all for it. I think that Carbo should do his post game conference in a Shatner impression though, make it William Shatner night.

And 21,000 fans leave the arena with ringing in their ears?

neofury* 10-27-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaforce (Post 16040776)
I'd really love if it the Montreal Canadiens would hire Montreal-born and raised actor/singer William Shatner to sing the national anthem before a game this year. He sings in a really cool manner. I've got a petition linked through my site.

What you think?

I've always been a fan of the original ST, shatner, etc.

However, I knew somebody whose grandfathers claim to fame was that he knew William Shatner prior to his success. Apparently he knew him when he attended some acting courses and/or some kind of acting group where Shatner also attended. Supposedly he was a major dee bag. Don't know if this really is the case, but apparently he was an arrogant ******* even before his fame lmao. Guess he might have had every right to be.

Also the thing is, the grandfather didn't seem like a bitter person at all, he didn't come off as somebody who was unhappy about shats success, just that he disliked him.

mcphee 10-27-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbo N8 (Post 16042131)
And 21,000 fans leave the arena with ringing in their ears?

It'd be like an homage to Onice.

neofury* 10-27-2008 11:59 AM

OH, Can a DUH, tear eR dEUX nooooz AYE ers, ton front aye SANT, dey fleurons GlorEEux

ton estoire etAY epow pay EUX

aka

[/close thread]

Darz 10-27-2008 12:08 PM

Shatner singing the anthem???

YES, YES, YES!!!!

That would be the best!!!

Edit: just signed the petition!!!

mcphee 10-27-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud (Post 16041992)

apparently quite a few of us. if you can't worry about the little things, you'll never understand the big things.

Megaforce 10-27-2008 12:54 PM

When we wrote our book in 2002 we emailed a request to Shatner for a story about his early days in Montreal and he came through with a funny little tale from his youth.

So he seems like a good guy.

Guy Germaine 10-28-2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldthorpe (Post 16041809)
His rendition of "Rocket Man" is legendary.

nucking hilarious. The family guy spoof of that always killed me I was laughing so hard.

Lone Rogue 10-28-2008 11:43 AM

Shatner singing "Rocket Man" with a Maurice Richard montage would make me cry real tears.

Davebo 10-28-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud (Post 16041992)

You do. So much so that you hit reply...

How is Kirk's french, though? :help:

Newhabfan 10-28-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mother_pucker (Post 16058041)
nucking hilarious. The family guy spoof of that always killed me I was laughing so hard.

Always wondered what that Stewie thing was about...Now I know. I wish I didn't (I actually checked that on google ....now I need some brain acid)

Anyway - seriously - what is the point of anthems at club games? Usually less then 30% of a club are actually citizens of the club's country.

In soccer, it would be considered heresy and lack of respect towards the anthem - Anthems are for games between countries.

BTW - Do they sing the US Anthem at MLB games (seemed to me I heard one last week)? When all teams are from the US? Or do they sing it at NFL games?

Megaforce 10-28-2008 12:40 PM

They're still very big on anthems in baseball, in fact a coupla days ago I saw them doing God Bless America in the 7 th inning stretch, that is, on top of the pre game anthems.

They would play God Save the Queen before movies in Montreal and everybody was expected to stand.

This lives on elsewhere, rememer how Sinead O'Connor refused to perform in Milwaukee if they did the customary national anthem before her concert?

I don't know why they do it before games now, I guess to give the game some structure and formality, as a sort of ritual to give the impression that the game actually has some meaning, which ultimately it does not.

Galchenyuk x 27 10-28-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaforce (Post 16059518)
They're still very big on anthems in baseball, in fact a coupla days ago I saw them doing God Bless America in the 7 th inning stretch, that is, on top of the pre game anthems.

They would play God Save the Queen before movies in Montreal and everybody was expected to stand.

This lives on elsewhere, rememer how Sinead O'Connor refused to perform in Milwaukee if they did the customary national anthem before her concert?

I don't know why they do it before games now, I guess to give the game some structure and formality, as a sort of ritual to give the impression that the game actually has some meaning, which ultimately it does not.

Ever since 9/11 they play God Bless America at every 7th inning stretch.

mcphee 10-28-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96 (Post 16059544)
Ever since 9/11 they play God Bless America at every 7th inning stretch.

It's such a part of tradition that stopping the practice would be akin to flag burning. It becomes like playing it every morning as school opens, just a formality with little meaning.

CanadienErrant* 10-28-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMAD (Post 16041959)
How about banning anthems from hockey games instead?

Right on ! But never boo the anthems. Just sit if you want to protest.