HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Rumors about the Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=566398)

scoringmachine 10-27-2008 06:00 PM

Rumors about the Flames

Last few day I been hearing about certain players that Calgary may want on their team such as Jason Spezza, Jay Bouwmeester, and Ilya Kovalchuk. Now eklund has mentioned that Spezza and Ilya Kovalchuck are being looked at by the Flames and some other teams. I know that most of you dislike Eklund but I heard about these rumors before reading Eklund rumors. Do you think that the Flames have any chance of getting any of these players. If yes, how to get one of them? and if no, why not?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...Update/1/17528

jeremywilhelm 10-27-2008 06:44 PM

oh yeah, for sure we could get them. All three actually...
if the salary cap was abolished!

flamesfan12 10-27-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoringmachine (Post 16046458)
Last few day I been hearing about certain players that Calgary may want on their team such as Jason Spezza, Jay Bouwmeester, and Ilya Kovalchuk. Now eklund has mentioned that Spezza and Ilya Kovalchuck are being looked at by the Flames and some other teams. I know that most of you dislike Eklund but I heard about these rumors before reading Eklund rumors. Do you think that the Flames have any chance of getting any of these players. If yes, how to get one of them? and if no, why not?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...Update/1/17528

Out of curiosity where have you heard these rumours? Another website or do you have a source?

Obviously all three are talented players that are at the top of their positions. Just don't really see a fit cap wise for any of the three.

GoFlames 10-27-2008 08:48 PM

Kovalchuk and Spezza are at or under 7 million... as far as I see it Aucoin would be a reasonable salary dump then would need to dump a low salary player perhaps to make it work... I find it interesting though but maybe this was all started when the team was playing awful. Now I dare not make any major changes as it seems to be clicking so well...

ComixZone 10-27-2008 09:32 PM

...I'm flat out calling bouwmeester will play in Calgary. Regeher, Phaneuf and Bouwmeester will be here.

But Kovalchuk and Spezza? Not a shot in hell. Why would you spend that much money when you could spend about the same and have Bertuzzi and Cammalleri?

jeremywilhelm 10-27-2008 09:40 PM

lets take duncan keith, he can be phaneufs new BFF

flamesfan12 10-27-2008 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm (Post 16051767)

Keith is a stud and I doubt Chicago even thinks about trading him.

jeremywilhelm 10-28-2008 09:06 AM

i know... i never said it was going to happen, just that i wanted it too...

GoFlames 10-28-2008 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=JT Cool;16051612]...I'm flat out calling bouwmeester will play in Calgary. Regeher, Phaneuf and Bouwmeester will be here.

I hope so! Phaneuf, Bouwmeester and Regehr will be potent.

scoringmachine 10-28-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamesfan12 (Post 16047703)
Out of curiosity where have you heard these rumours? Another website or do you have a source?

Obviously all three are talented players that are at the top of their positions. Just don't really see a fit cap wise for any of the three.

I do not have any links to websites as most of the rumors I heard were from fan 960 in Calgary days before the Flames had their three game winning streak. Gaborik was mentioned in one of the conversation but the host felt he was not a player that Calgary would want.

Hyde 10-28-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm (Post 16051767)

I think Dion's partner or BFF if you perfer is already in our system.

jeremywilhelm 10-28-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyde (Post 16058163)
I think Dion's partner or BFF if you perfer is already in our system.

Im still liking Gio for that position anyways (i used BFF to mock the other lame posters using the term, thus, i deserve to be mocked as well).

Another full year of Gio playing, I am hoping, will make him as smart defensively as he is offensively. but all in all, people just need to let up on him a little, cut him the same slack that you cut phaneuf for his glaringly boneheaded defensive plays, they are both young...

Ticonderoga 10-28-2008 12:45 PM

More Spezza to Calgary which makes no sense to me at all.

It's from our favorite hockey blogger as well so we can rest assured that we will NOT be getting Spezza.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...sOh-My/1/17553

Boomstick 10-28-2008 12:50 PM

I've been reading the same rumours, mainly on Eklund's site.
I have no idea what Ottawa could be interested in from us.
Possibly Regehr? I really don't know. Just when we're starting to click a little bit, we get thrown into the mix.
Wait and see, you really can't speculate.

sonetlumiere 10-28-2008 12:59 PM

bouwmeester will no doubt be here or in another canadian city before the deadline. that being said, i would love to see cammy, spezza and iggy play on the same line.

imo, giving up langks and aucoin for spez wouldnt be so bad.. we'd finally get some of our kids logging real ice time, and for once have a definitive first line.

btw sutter would have to be ****in retarded to even think about going after kovalchuk.

jeremywilhelm 10-28-2008 01:04 PM

haha, this guy is on drugs. is there no way to block posting anything to do with the manic rumormonger?

sonetlumiere 10-28-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm (Post 16059818)
haha, this guy is on drugs. is there no way to block posting anything to do with the manic rumormonger?

lol sure he ****s up alot, but he does get his information from the same sources as tsn. the difference is that tsn wont make a press release until they're absolutely positive. eklund on the other hand....

bananaz 10-28-2008 01:30 PM

i would start crying if the flames somehow got bouwmeester.

at the deadline:
to cgy: bouwmeester
to flo: aucoin+lombardi+backlund/negrin/nemisiz

Ticonderoga 10-28-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm (Post 16059818)

Like the old saying goes Bu****it baffles brains, and as long as he keeps spewing it people will listen.

The very least it shows that the Flames are looking at a few players.

serratedmuffin 10-28-2008 02:38 PM

Bouwmeester wants Phaneuf like money, which means if we got him we'd have 18 million tied up in 3 d-men, and another 14 or so with iggy and kipper. Doesn't make much sense, although it would look pretty sweet. Sutter learned from the Stuart fiasco that he's not gonna trade for UFA's unless he can get them signed, specially if they are gonna cost us what it takes to pry Spezza, Bouwmeester, or Gaborik from their respective teams, oh and Kovalchuk doesn't play the flames style.

saillias 10-28-2008 02:40 PM

I'm not keen on trade deadline deals for star players. We gave up Ference and Kobasew for Stuart, Primeau, a 1st round exit and having to sign Aucoin/Sarich in the off-season to replace the loss.

Also Campbell, Hossa, notice a trend? The teams that traded for them didn't win the Stanley Cup. SJ and Pittsburgh gave up a ton of good assets for these 2 players, but neither Hossa nor Campbell was retained.

GoFlames 10-28-2008 04:43 PM

True but if they could agree on a trade with Florida well before the deadline and somehow come to terms with Bouwmeester then if that was possible I would love that (pending it fits under the cap)

JiriHrdina 10-28-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saillias (Post 16061123)
I'm not keen on trade deadline deals for star players. We gave up Ference and Kobasew for Stuart, Primeau, a 1st round exit and having to sign Aucoin/Sarich in the off-season to replace the loss.

Also Campbell, Hossa, notice a trend? The teams that traded for them didn't win the Stanley Cup. SJ and Pittsburgh gave up a ton of good assets for these 2 players, but neither Hossa nor Campbell was retained.

I'm not necessarily advocating deadline deals but it's far too simplistic to point at teams not winning the cup as making those deals bad. Hossa was a huge part of getting the the Pens to the final. Only 1 team out of 30 gets the big prize so that simply can't be the only basis for success.

Plus a lot of championship teams include rental players - heck even the Wings went out and got Brad Stuart who was a fairly important piece of their cup puzzle...and at the time he was a pending UFA.

Oblivion 10-29-2008 12:35 AM

Hockeybuzz says that Ottawa needs to dump salary to make room for Spezza. Tough to dump salary on a team that's already at the cap.

Brian28 10-29-2008 08:42 AM

There's some serious holes in this rumor from hewhoshallnotbenamed. Ottawa is going to trade for Bulin when they could have picked him up on waivers? They're going to drop Spezza for 1 year of Bulin? How is Calgary going to clear enough salary to take Spezza without sending any money back Ottawas way?

I don't think any GM would do a deal that saw giving Spezza away for Bulin and Calgary sending unwanted contracts to Chicago.

Bulin for Aucoin +?
Spezza for Bulin?
Aucoin + for Spezza?

It's a little far fetched.

The sources for said trades can come from the oddest places with that guy. One rumor that started on the main trade rumors page made it to his site the next day. With him it's best to not put too much stock into it and just see what happens.