HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   2/28 GDT: Kings vs. Ducks (So.Cal hockey!!) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=56660)

LuckyLUC20 02-28-2004 01:40 PM

2/28 GDT: Kings vs. Ducks (So.Cal hockey!!)

http://nhl.speedera.net/img/team/los_comp.gif http://nhl.speedera.net/img/team/ana_comp.gif

Los Angeles Kings (24-17-15-7) VS. Anaheim Mighty Ducks (22-25-9-8)

Game Time: 1:00 PM PST/ 4:00 PM EST
Where: Staples Center, Los Angeles, California
TV Broadcast: (home and away) Fox Sports Net West
Radio Broadcast: KSPN AM 710
Online broadcast: [NHL.COM] | [KVTA AM 1520]

**No Television Pre-Game show. Nick and Darryl will be on the radio at 12:30 PM PST for their radio pre-game show.**

It's an exciting time in Southern California if you're a hockey fan. This weekend will be filled with playoff intensity as the Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Mighty Ducks meet for a home at home series that could very well determine the fate of either of these teams' playoff wishes. For the Ducks, they are simply trying to get in. There is no better way than playing a team that is ahead of you and try to catch them by taking two points from them. As of right now, the Ducks are nine points out of the eighth and final playoff spot, occupied by the Kings. For the Kings, it is about staying alive in the playoff hunt as they are stuck in a battle for the last four playoff spots in the Western Conference. With the St. Louis Blues, sitting in ninth place, just two points behind the Kings with a game in hand, the Kings face must-win situations this weekend if they want to keep up with the teams in the race. Of the eight teams currently in the playoff picture, the Kings have the fewest wins with 24. All the rest have 30 or more. Kings simply need to win. The crosstown rivals will go at it today at Staples Center, then it's down the 5 freeway to the Pond in Anaheim as they wrap up the home at home.

Both teams are fighting for their playoff lives, so the term "desperation" comes up. Who's more desperate? Almost everybody will say the Mighty Ducks are the more desperate team since they're on the outside looking in with not much time left. However, coach Andy Murray has a different spin to who the more desperate team will be. "I think our (situation) is more desperate than theirs. They were in the Stanley Cup Finals last year. We didn't make the playoffs. How much more desperate can you feel than that? We knew the feeling sitting on the outside last year. ... I don't think there's a more desperate team in the National Hockey League than our team and I think that's the way we've played. Everytime we play a game, we have that fear factor that we have to play as good as we possibly can to have a chance to win. That's a lot of pressure, yet we've been thriving on that pressure." (Andy Murray). The Mighty Ducks have not won against L.A. yet this season and coach Mike Babcock knows they need to match L.A.'s intensity in order to win. "We haven't played well against L.A. this season. They play us more physical. We haven't been able to handle that. We have to respond." (Mike Babcock).

The Kings traveled to American Airlines Center to face division foes, Dallas Stars. The game was not televised locally in Los Angeles due to the UCLA/USC college basketball game. The Kings/Stars game was filled with playoff intensity as both teams tried to jock for position in the Western Conference playoffs. Entering the game, the Kings were a point behind the Stars for second in the division. Stars center and captain, Mike Modano left the game in the first period after just three shifts after re-injuring his groin. He did not come back. After a scoreless first period, both teams knew they were going to be in a dog fight till the end. Brendan Morrow got the Stars on the score sheet after a Stars' face off win. Morrow's goal got through a screen in front of back-up goalie, Cristobal Huet. Huet has started the last two games for the Kings since Roman Cechmanek's injury during the last Kings/Stars game last week. Huet made many great saves in the game to keep the Stars at one goal. He gave the Kings a chance to tie or win. Alexander Frolov rewarded Huet's great play by scoring the tying goal to send it into overtime. Frolov got to a puck in the neutral zone where he split two Dallas players and got by another to fool Marty Turco and score to tie the game up at one a piece. "I was really trying to score [Wednesday]. Even if you don't score for a few games, no way you can stop skating. Only one thing you can do ... step up." (Alexander Frolov). Neither team could win, but Huet made a nice save at the end of OT as he stopped a wrap around attempt by Pierre Turgeon. Both Marty Turco and Huet stopped 26 shots as the game ended in a 1-1 draw. "He was huge for us. He has come up so big the past two games. But he always gives us a strong effort." (Murray). This concluded a six-game season series between the two teams where nobody really dominated. Both teams won two and tied two games (2-2-2-0).

The Anaheim Mighty Ducks are coming off a nice victory over the Edmonton Oilers. The Oilers are a team the Ducks are battling. Both sit at 61 points and on the outside looking in. Jean-Sebastien Giguere looks to have regain his playoff form of last year. Since the All-Star break, Giguere has been one of the main reasons the Ducks have gone 5-2-1-1. Niclas Havelid scored the first goal of the game in the second period on the power play from Petr Sykora and Vaclav Prospal. Five minutes later, Samuel Pahlsson scored to give the Ducks a 2-0 lead headed into the third period. Cory Cross got Edmonton on the board as he scored only 26 seconds into the third to pull the Oilers within one. However, rookie Joffrey Lupul scored a couple minutes later to give the Ducks their two-goal lead back. Igor Ulanov tried to keep it close after scoring his second goal of the year, but Lupul scored once again on the power play to secure the Ducks' 4-2 victory over the Oilers. "It makes it a lot easier on everyone when you know Jiggy's going to be back there making big saves. He had a tough time earlier in the year, but a lot of it was our fault. The blame seemed to be put on him, but we weren't playing the way we should be. Lately we have been playing well and he's been doing a great job for us." (Joffrey Lupul).

Previous Meeting(s) this year: (Kings 2-0-1-0)

January 7, 2004 - Kings 4, Ducks 4 OT In a wild and up and down game, the Kings and Mighty Ducks battled to a 4-4 draw. The Kings started the scoring when Trent Klatt was parked in front of JS Giguere and scored to make it 1-0 Kings. Michael Holmqvist answered back later in the first as he scored his very first NHL goal of his career. Five minutes later, Alexander Frolov gave the Kings a 2-1 lead on the power play. However, just seconds later, Holmqvist scored his second goal of the game to tie it back up at 2-2. Two minutes later, Sergei Fedorov gave the Ducks a 3-2 lead headed into the second period. After being benched by Andy Murray for the incident against the Phoenix Coyotes, Sean Avery came back to score the tying goal in the second period. In the third, Brad Chartrand gave the Kings a 4-3 lead, but Todd Simpson, who now plays for the Ottawa Senators scored his first of the year to tie it up. Neither of the teams could take the extra point in overtime. Cristobal Huet started the game but was pulled after allowing three goals on 11 shots in the first period. Roman Cechmanek came in and allowed one goal.

January 24, 2004 - Kings 4, Ducks 2 Esa Pirnes had a big night against the Ducks. He scored his first NHL goal after a very nice set-up by fellow rookie, Dustin Brown. Brown had just returned from the IR, missing 26 games. Rob Niedermayer tied it up on a power play goal later in the first period as the Ducks really controlled the flow early on. Roman Cechmanek kept the Kings in the game and gave them a chance to regroup in the second. That's exactly what they did as Sean Avery scored as he crashed the net. Eric Belanger's shot rebounded onto Avery's stick and the puck flew over Giguere's shoulder and into the net. Two minutes later, Joe Corvo scored to give the Kings a 3-1 lead. Luc Robitaille scored late in the second to give the Kings a nice 4-1 lead. Vaclav Prospal added a goal 12 minutes into the 3rd but that was all as Cechmanek shut the door on the Ducks.

January 28, 2004 - Kings 4, Ducks 3 OT The Ducks started the scoring as Steve Rucchin netted in a power play goal. Scott Barney scored for the Kings one minute into the second period to tie the game up at one a piece. Kings then took the lead after Luc Robitaille's power play goal from Trent Klatt and Lubomir Visnovsky. Steve Rucchin tied it up once again two minutes into the third period at two a piece. A minute later, Jozef Stumpel scored to give the Kings a 3-2 lead but defenseman Ruslan Salei scored later on to send the game into overtime. Former Duck, Todd Simpson turned the puck over at center ice as Jozef Stumpel kept pressuring him. Stumpel then stole the puck and got it to an open Joe Corvo who blasted a shot past Giguere to give the Kings only their second overtime victory of the season.

News and Notes:
  • Nice praise from veteran Luc Robitaille on Alexander Frolov's talent: "Even on nights when he doesn't score he brings his best game. He's a monster with the puck, so strong. The same way Jagr is. You can't get him off it. When you have that every night good things are going to happen." (Luc Robitaille).
  • The Kings will try to extend their unbeaten streak to four today against the Ducks.
  • Kings have recalled defenseman Denis Grebeshkov from the AHL Manchester Monarchs. (lakings.com).

Injury Update:
  • Martin Straka is excited about returning after missing many games due to knee surgery. He was not expected back until mid to late-March, but he is ahead of schedule. Straka has been cleared to practice full-contact with the team and says he feels great. He could play Sunday, but more than likely will play Thursday against the Minnesota Wild. "I think we're going to make the playoffs for sure. I want to get some games under my belt before the playoffs. I didn't play for six or seven weeks and you want to play some games before the playoffs." (Martin Straka).
  • Dustin Brown is also cleared to practice with contact with the team. He could return today or Sunday. Brown missed some time due to re-aggravating his ankle sprain. "I might play Sunday but I'm not sure. I feel good enough. It depends on how we play (today) and how the lineup looks." (Dustin Brown).
  • Kings have placed Jason Holland on the IR retroactive to February 26th after suffering a thigh contusion.

Team Comparisons: (from ESPN.com)

http://espn.go.com/i/nhl/profiles/teams/logos/los.gif vs. http://espn.go.com/i/nhl/profiles/teams/logos/ana.gif

Leading Scorers:

Forwards:
Frolov, LA - 41 points (20 G, 21 A, +16)
http://nhl.speedera.net/photos/mugs/8468500.jpg

Fedorov, ANA - 51 points (21 G, 30 A, -7)
http://nhl.speedera.net/photos/mugs/8446788.jpg

Defensemen:
Modry, LA - 27 points (4 G, 23 A, +14)
http://nhl.speedera.net/photos/mugs/8457403.jpg

Havelid, ANA - 21 points (5 G, 16 A, -20)
http://nhl.speedera.net/photos/mugs/8467956.jpg

GAA:
LA - 2.59 (20th in NHL)
ANA - 2.59 (21st in NHL)

Avg. Shots Against:
LA - 26.9 (13th in NHL)
ANA - 29.1 (22nd in NHL)

Save %:
LA - .904 (24th in NHL)
ANA - .911 (13th in NHL)

Shutouts:
LA - 8 (3rd in NHL)
ANA - 4 (22nd in NHL)

Avg. Shots:
LA - 28.7 (13th in NHL)
ANA - 29.8 (6th in NHL)

Avg. Goals:
LA - 2.65 (10th in NHL)
ANA - 2.19 (27th in NHL)

Power Play %:
LA - 14.1 (25th in NHL)
ANA - 16.7 (13th in NHL)

Penalty Kill %:
LA - 80.5 (29th in NHL)
ANA - 84.5 (13th in NHL)

Code:

Division Standings:
1. San Jose Sharks - (31-16-11-6) 79 points
2. Dallas Stars - (31-22-11-0) 73 points
3. *Los Angeles Kings - (24-17-15-7) 70 points
4. *Anaheim Mighty Ducks - (22-25-9-8) 61 points
5. Phoenix Coyotes - (20-24-15-5) 60 points

* - play tonight (listed below)

Code:

Western Conference Standings:
1. Detroit Red Wings - 83 points
2. Colorado Avalanche - 81 points
3. San Jose Sharks - 79 points
4. Vancouver Canucks - 79 points
5. Dallas Stars - 73 points
6. Nashville Predators - 71 points
7. Calgary Flames - 70 points
8. Los Angeles Kings - 70 points
---------------------------------------------
9. St. Louis Blues - 68 points
10. Edmonton Oilers - 61 points
11. Anaheim Mighty Ducks - 61 points
12. Minnesota Wild - 60 points
13. Phoenix Coyotes - 60 points
14. Columbus Blue Jackets - 48 points
15. Chicago Blackhawks - 48 points

Key/Divisional Games Tonight:
Predators vs. Rangers 12:00 PM PST/ 3:00 PM EST
Kings vs. Ducks 1:00 PM PST/ 4:00 PM EST
Blues vs. Canucks 7:00 PM PST/ 10:00 PM EST
**(images from NHL.com and ESPN.com)**

guzmania 02-28-2004 01:59 PM

Go Kings Go!

Go Rangers!

Go Canucks!

Make sure you got all that mojo working!

Legionnaire 02-28-2004 02:11 PM

Good work Lucky

Let's Go Kings!!!

Sydor25 02-28-2004 02:20 PM

Defensive pairings for the game with Holland out?

My idea:
Zizka-Gleason
Modry-Corvo
Norstrom-Grebs

This way Norstrom can help the rookie with any mistakes.

The Kings need to start winning these games against the teams below them in the standing. Might as well start this weekend against the Ducks. :handclap:

Go Kings Go!!!

punchy1 02-28-2004 02:21 PM

Lucky, you pre games are simply amazing. Cheers for the hard work.

Walker is injured duing the Nashville game and Hall should have been thrown out of the game for a cheapshot highstick that were dead deliberate. He got away with it as well. So, the next time the Avery bashers come in from there they can explain that bit of rubbish. Tootoo bites a bloke and Hall swings away at anothers head. Not that our lads are saints but then, we aren't going to there board with that rubbish either.

Today, Ducks 5 Kings 1.

punchy1 02-28-2004 02:23 PM

Walker is back. No score yet.

Legionnaire 02-28-2004 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punchy1
Walker is injured duing the Nashville game and Hall should have been thrown out of the game for a cheapshot highstick that were dead deliberate. He got away with it as well. So, the next time the Avery bashers come in from there they can explain that bit of rubbish. Tootoo bites a bloke and Hall swings away at anothers head. Not that our lads are saints but then, we aren't going to there board with that rubbish either.

Let it go....

Sydor25 02-28-2004 02:56 PM

Don't forget about the chat room. :handclap:

jfont 02-28-2004 02:58 PM

Grebeshkov is playing today...thats affirmative according to the Kings pregame show...i'm pretty excited seeing him today :yo:

kingbrath 02-28-2004 02:59 PM

Awsome work yet again LuckyLuc, The Ducks have been hot lately so hopefully they wont have the Kings number, we need to stay up on St.Louis and Calgary as I see it being those two who we will be in the biggest battle with for the reamainder of the season!

lets hope Frolov can keep up his scoring touch!
GO KINGS GO`!!!!

Sydor25 02-28-2004 03:11 PM

Grebs is wearing #38 and paired with Modry. Good first shift. :handclap:

guzmania 02-28-2004 03:12 PM

Grebs=38 special

jfont 02-28-2004 03:14 PM

Brennan!kicked butt...

Legionnaire 02-28-2004 03:15 PM

Finally a fight between these two rivals. Brennan tags Burnette pretty good knocking his helmet right off.

willie 02-28-2004 03:16 PM

Brennan tags Burnett with a nice right hand. Good start. :handclap:

(oh, and one shift in, Grebeshkov looks good. :rolly: perfect positioning, great read to intercept that pass)

punchy1 02-28-2004 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Finally a fight between these two rivals. Brennan tags Burnette pretty good knocking his helmet right off.

Grebs looks good so far.

Belanger and Luc will KILL us if they don't start moving thier feet. Ebell damn well stood there (not in front of our net the other time when the puck were in the corner) and waited for the duck player to get the puck when he *should* have gone into the corner after it.

Luc has had four poor showings. When he is moving his feet he is truly a great asset. When he stands about and reacts instead of acting and moving to the play, he is almost useless. I hope he isn't injured in that you would hate to see that but I also hope there is more reason for it.

I also hope that they both prove me wrong. It seems to me that Ebell is ONLY effective when he has a chance to score lately. We need him in both ends effective.

Brennen BEAT DOWN THE DUCKY. I hope there is a rematch.

Legionnaire 02-28-2004 03:21 PM

Refs not call anything this game.

punchy1 02-28-2004 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Refs not call anything this game.

Truly. What rubbish. Our man goes behind the net and clearly gets tripped, nothing. Havlid takes a run at Avery with his elbow in front of the ref while Avery has his head down to move the puck and takes the elbow right on the head, no call. Rubbish but, it is consistant with what I have come to expect from this watered down version of the game that Betteman has brought to us.

Sydor25 02-28-2004 03:28 PM

Tripp the first to go to the box. Hopefully he can watch the rest of the game from the bench.

Frolov with another chance. Kings out shooting the Ducks 2-0 on the Ducks PP. :handclap:

Legionnaire 02-28-2004 03:29 PM

Ha ha. Grebs is wearing 38, and is the 38th player used by the Kings this year. Could this mean an end to the injuries? Or maybe Grebs is just going to be a magical player!

Count of DannyKristo 02-28-2004 03:29 PM

I'm no Kings or Ducks fan but awesome job on the gdt LuckyLuc

Sydor25 02-28-2004 03:35 PM

Another nice play by Grebs. :handclap:

Go Kings Go!!!

Legionnaire 02-28-2004 03:36 PM

Zizka pokes it home!!!! 1-0 Kings

punchy1 02-28-2004 03:36 PM

ZIZKA!!!!!!!!! I TOLD YOU LOT HE WERE GRAND!!!!!

Alright, I know I have been his biggest dog. WAY TO GO ME FOR BEING SO BLOODY WRONG AGAIN AND WAY TO GO ZIZKA!!!!!!!

Sydor25 02-28-2004 03:36 PM

Zizka!!!!