HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Thoughts on Ryan Jones (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=567326)

Felix29 10-30-2008 09:58 AM

Thoughts on Ryan Jones

Haven't been able to catch any game action of Ryan Jones yet, and was hoping to get some insight on how he's played so far. I see statswise, he's got 2 goals and 2 assists in 7 games. Including a PP tally and being a +1. What line(s) has he been playing on, and with whom? I remember him being a fiesty, in-your-face type, with pretty decent speed with Miami U. Is that still there? He looks a little like Tootoo in some ways. Kind of suprised Minnesota let him go. But happy to see he's getting another shot and taking advantage of it with Nashville. Also, I know it's early, but does anyone think he could be the captain down the road? Like he was at Miami U.

Joe T Choker 10-30-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felix29 (Post 16087356)
Haven't been able to catch any game action of Ryan Jones yet, and was hoping to get some insight on how he's played so far. I see statswise, he's got 2 goals and 2 assists in 7 games. Including a PP tally and being a +1. What line(s) has he been playing on, and with whom? I remember him being a fiesty, in-your-face type, with pretty decent speed with Miami U. Is that still there? He looks a little like Tootoo in some ways. Kind of suprised Minnesota let him go. But happy to see he's getting another shot and taking advantage of it with Nashville. Also, I know it's early, but does anyone think he could be the captain down the road? Like he was at Miami U.

He's been a pleasant surprise so far, but I think the Captain down the road will be Dan Hamhuis ... he's the only "young one" that's wearing a letter

Enoch 10-30-2008 10:47 AM

The last two games have not been televised, but from what I have seen, he has been bouncing around on the top 2 lines. He seems like a pretty good young player, and as his defensive game evolves, he will probably play a lot of minutes for this team.

barrytrotzsneck 10-30-2008 11:19 AM

Jones seems to get better every game. I've been very impressed with both he and Hornqvist. I think both are nearing a "click" point.

worstfaceoffmanever 10-30-2008 12:59 PM

Jones started off awful, and I personally thought he should be in Milwaukee.

However, he's really come into his own as the season has gotten a touch older and has become the player that Trotz most likely saw in practice. He's got some grit and plays with hustle and energy, which are things Trotz likes, and he also has a good bit of skill and hockey sense, which everybody likes. He and Erat are especially developing some chemistry. Now if they could just spark Legwand's offense...

braindead 10-30-2008 02:16 PM

Not much to add in echoing the comments above. I thought Jones didn't deserve a spot based on camp but both he and Hornqvist look like they are finding their way. I suspect this is a team that will tread water for the first 20 games and then (hopefully) settle into a comfort zone with tighter defense and scoring that comes from developing groups of 3 instead of 2 for our top two lines, meaning scoring contribution should pick up from both guys. It seems like Rich Peverly is the best viable alternative in the top 6 if one of them can't get it done.... which means, by definition, Jones and Hornqvist will get more than a full opportunity to get the job done.