HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Pretty amusing similarity with last year's Minnesota (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=56754)

SmokeyClause 02-28-2004 07:12 PM

Pretty amusing similarity with last year's Minnesota

After 64 games played, the Wild (last year) were 32-23-8-1 for 73 points. After 64 games this year, the Preds are 32-23-7-2 for 73 points.

From that point on, the Wild won 10, lost 7, and tied 2. They finished with 95 points.

I think we need to have a similar run to make the playoffs.

jstreet 02-28-2004 08:49 PM

so whats up with the Wild? I dont see any difference between this year's and last year's team. Why is their record so bad?

Canadian Chris 02-28-2004 10:04 PM

because teams have likely learned that to play them you have to be very patient, and play a style that is similar.

Your top player, and one of your better players misses training camp, and the early part of teh season.

As much as they are hard working, I'd guess, that after their playoff run, they had it in their minds that they wouldn't have to work as hard as they did last year to end the year, and then to go on the run they did in the playoffs.

That'd be my guess anyways...It happens, and it happened to the Canucks after they made the playoffs, only to be bounced by the Avs...the next year, they were horrid to start and then Brian Burke did his rant thing at xmas, and basically since then they've been basically a top 5 points team in the league.

Wild Thing 02-28-2004 10:47 PM

Canadian Chris summed it up pretty well. I think this year's team forgot what made them successful last year - working their butts off, sticking to the system, and making the most of every opportunity.They're making some really stupid, and completely inexcusable, mistakes - there was one game where they had no fewer than three too-many men penalties in the same game, and if I recall correctly, all three were in the same period. There is simply no excuse for that. Last year's success fooled some of the players (especially some of the younger ones) into thinking they're better than they really are. They're finding out the hard way that talentwise, they're really only an average team - if that - and that the only way they can win is by playing above themselves.

In fairness to the team, I also have to say that they aren't really catching some of the breaks they were catching last year - it seems like most of the breaks they were getting last season are going against them this year. But I don't want to use that as an excuse. Bottom line is, they're not playing as well as they did last year, so they'll be drafting in the top ten rather than playing in the postseason.

Radulov for Czar* 02-29-2004 03:09 AM

Now if only Gaborik wanted to come over and Arkhipov wanted to go.. ;)

Wild Thing 02-29-2004 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonesey
Now if only Gaborik wanted to come over and Arkhipov wanted to go.. ;)

You know, the way Gaborik has been playing this season, we'd be robbing you blind on that deal!

Radulov for Czar* 02-29-2004 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Thing
You know, the way Gaborik has been playing this season, we'd be robbing you blind on that deal!

You haven't seen Arkhipov play. ;)

crossxcheck 02-29-2004 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonesey
You haven't seen Arkhipov play. ;)

I'd take gaborik over arkhipov any day of the week

PredsFan77* 02-29-2004 01:43 PM

and twice on sunday. :joker:

triggrman 03-01-2004 08:05 AM

Hell, I'd throw Legwand in too.

DocMcKay 03-02-2004 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman
Hell, I'd throw Legwand in too.

I second that motion.

Basher 03-05-2004 07:58 PM

Looks like the similarities just grew a little.

Surly Furious 03-07-2004 10:35 AM

The Wild aren't really that much worse - if just half of their ties were wins, and many of these ties were products of late goals against, they'd be pretty close to where they were last season. Having Gaborik out and then behind for half the season hurt as well. He only just recently started scoring again.