HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sometimes I just don't understand Renney... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=567583)

gravytrain6t 10-30-2008 10:06 PM

Sometimes I just don't understand Renney...
 
I don't see any reason why a line that is producing would need to be broken up in the first place. Didn't it seem like both Dubinsky's game and Voros's game went up a few notches when Renney finally went back to the Play Station line! That line has been clicking since the get go. Leave it alone!! Simple! No need to mess around by experimenting with Fritche or whoever else. To me there's no doubt about it. That's our number one line. The Gomez, Callahan, and Dawes line isn't showing me much at all. I see some chemistry between Drury and Naslund so I think Renney should go back to putting Gomez in the middle of those two.
As far a Prucha goes. This guy belongs on the third line everyday until he stops flying around the rink like a torpedo. I'm so tired of watching Prucha play his but off for one or two games in a row and then be rewarded by sitting. It's almost like he's probably used to this routine. How does this get anyone's confidence going. I didn't expect it, but I really liked what I saw in the pre season with that third line of Korpokoski, Callahan and Prucha. The fore checking was unbelievable.

ruckus* 10-30-2008 10:17 PM

Ohhhhhhhhh my goshhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm so sick of people criticizing Renney.

We're 10-2-1.

We've made the playoffs every year since the lockout after almost a decade of futility.

Players LOVE this man.

He understands his system and what it takes to win in this league.

YES he constantly shuffles line. But watch other teams every night. When offense is struggling EVERY TEAM DOES THIS.

I'm so sick of all this.

I can give you John Muckler's phone number if you want. Or would you prefer Bryan Trottier's?

SingnBluesOnBroadway 10-30-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robruckus (Post 16100717)
Ohhhhhhhhh my goshhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm so sick of people criticizing Renney.

We're 10-2-1.

We've made the playoffs every year since the lockout after almost a decade of futility.

Players LOVE this man.

He understands his system and what it takes to win in this league.

YES he constantly shuffles line. But watch other teams every night. When offense is struggling EVERY TEAM DOES THIS.

I'm so sick of all this.

I can give you John Muckler's phone number if you want. Or would you prefer Bryan Trottier's?

Gotta agree.


I'll just add that the Rangers are only one of three teams in the East to make the playoffs every season since the lockout and Renney is the only coach in the East to make the playoffs every season since the lockout.

NYR Viper 10-30-2008 10:20 PM

he wanted to get other people going.....and look....surprise, drury and naslund have woken up.....you can pnly ride one line for so long.....

BklyNYR4Life 10-30-2008 10:24 PM

I love Tom Renney. the amount of disrespect he gets around here is baffling sometimes.

NYRFAN218 10-30-2008 10:29 PM

I know what your saying but you can't ride one line for the entire season. He was just trying to get Naslund and Drury going which in the long run would benefit the team.

TrueBlueNorwegian 10-30-2008 10:30 PM

I feel for Gomez though. He is all over the ice and makes a lot of great plays, and does a lot of good things out there but he doesn't have anyone to play with. Thats to bad because Gomez is one of the greatest centers in the game today imo.

ruckus* 10-30-2008 10:31 PM

As for the Prucha thing...I like Petr. I love how hard he works. I love watching him. I think he deserves to play over Fritsche. But anyone who blames Tom Renney for Petr Prucha's failing is just out of their mind. Renney is ruining his confidence? Prucha hasn't scored a freakin goal in like two years and it's Tom's fault for scratching him every couple games? Tom's supposed to say hmm well Petr you haven't scored in years but I'm not gonna ruin your confidence so get back in there! Give me a break. I appreciate the work Prucha does more than anyone but to blame his failings on Renney is just ridiculous.

Trxjw 10-30-2008 10:50 PM

It's great if a line is producing like the Playstation line has been. However, one line is not enough to carry a team through the playoffs. (As we saw the first year coming out of the lockout)

I'd rather see Renney shift the lines around now and find something that works, than have him ride the Playstation line until it breaks down and our offense implodes. If he nails some combination that brings us scoring across the board, that leaves little room to complain about his line jumbling.

gravytrain6t 10-30-2008 10:51 PM

"he understands what it takes to win in this league?" Let's not get too far a head of ourselves. So far he's proved nothing more than what Roger Neilson has proved when they brought him in to get the Rangers going. Hopefully, he will prove that he knows what it takes to win!! Not to say I don't like Renney. I just think Prucha should be in there on a more consistant basis. He worked his but off more than anyone in training camp and the Play Station line looks not so bad. How about leaving that line in tact for a few games. I'm not saying lets fire the guy, and bring in Nolan.

FLYLine24 10-30-2008 10:55 PM

Renney is an average coach that is blessed with a great team for the past 3 years and a all star goalie.

Lets not kid ourselves, with an average team and an average goalie...we wouldn't be making the playoffs the past 3 years.


Ron Low could have gotten this team to the playoffs with the team we've had over the past 3 years...or just Lundqvist.

Renney makes mistakes all the time, line changes that are questionable all the time, and usually don't do much of anything.

Renney is a decent coach, but hes nothing that special.

Id give Sather more credit for putting together a great team before Renney.


PS - Oh, i'm well aware im going to get ripped apart..bring it on guys ;)

FLYLine24 10-30-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 (Post 16100824)
he wanted to get other people going.....and look....surprise, drury and naslund have woken up.....you can pnly ride one line for so long.....

Could have fooled me with Drury tonight, after that nice game he on on Monday, this was one of his worst as a Ranger.

gravytrain6t 10-30-2008 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 16101601)
It's great if a line is producing like the Playstation line has been. However, one line is not enough to carry a team through the playoffs. (As we saw the first year coming out of the lockout)

I'd rather see Renney shift the lines around now and find something that works, than have him ride the Playstation line until it breaks down and our offense implodes. If he nails some combination that brings us scoring across the board, that leaves little room to complain about his line jumbling.

What are we going to do? We were 25th on offense last season. With all the line juggling you can think of. What are we going to come with that's going to raise that stat significantly. I said to go with the Gomez, Naslund, and Drury line. If Drury can't score playing with these two guys who can really move the puck than I'm not sure he should be making 7mil a year. This is a team that's going to have to win on team defense and Lundqvuist. Why will the Playstation line break down and implode? If it does. That's what we're paying Gomez, Naslund and Drury the big bucks for.

gravytrain6t 10-30-2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 16101735)
Renney is an average coach that is blessed with a great team for the past 3 years and a all star goalie.

Lets not kid ourselves, with an average team and an average goalie...we wouldn't be making the playoffs the past 3 years.


Ron Low could have gotten this team to the playoffs with the team we've had over the past 3 years...or just Lundqvist.

Renney makes mistakes all the time, line changes that are questionable all the time, and usually don't do much of anything.

Renney is a decent coach, but hes nothing that special.

Id give Sather more credit for putting together a great team before Renney.


PS - Oh, i'm well aware im going to get ripped apart..bring it on guys ;)

So on second thought, should we bring in Nolan lol? Or Tortarella?

Nyrvana 10-30-2008 11:06 PM

Though I constantly get upset at Renney for tinkering with the line up EVERY game. I understand he is trying to get people going. But, even when they get going he breaks them apart. He is loved by his players, and when you're 10 - 2 - 1 you can't really complain.

Perry Pearn needs to be fired. The powerplay is awful again. The 5 on 3's are pathetic. I think we have better players than this.

gravytrain6t 10-30-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 16101735)
Renney is an average coach that is blessed with a great team for the past 3 years and a all star goalie.

Lets not kid ourselves, with an average team and an average goalie...we wouldn't be making the playoffs the past 3 years.


Ron Low could have gotten this team to the playoffs with the team we've had over the past 3 years...or just Lundqvist.

Renney makes mistakes all the time, line changes that are questionable all the time, and usually don't do much of anything.

Renney is a decent coach, but hes nothing that special.

Id give Sather more credit for putting together a great team before Renney.


PS - Oh, i'm well aware im going to get ripped apart..bring it on guys ;)

This season is far from over. And I'm not liking the looks of Drury so far either. But making 7mil a year. If he can't score a ton of goals playing with Naslund and Gomez (right behind our first line:the playstation line) that would be more of a reflection on Slats, no? How many goals did Brian Gionta score with Gomez? Drury, making 7 mil for 5 years should double that!

Kind of Blue 10-30-2008 11:12 PM

If you're complaining about line combinations, take a step back, and look at the Renney era as a whole.

Tom Renney is responsible for (re-)establishing a winning culture here. The players respond to him big time. Its a recipe for sustained success. I don't think you can overestimate the significance of that. I don't think people realize how difficult that is to do. This far outweighs Renney's relative "shortcomings" as a tactician.

I expect Tom to be here for many years to come, and I would be extremely disappointed if that didn't turn out to be the case.

FLYLine24 10-30-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyrvana (Post 16101987)
Though I constantly get upset at Renney for tinkering with the line up EVERY game. I understand he is trying to get people going. But, even when they get going he breaks them apart. He is loved by his players, and when you're 10 - 2 - 1 you can't really complain.

Perry Pearn needs to be fired. The powerplay is awful again. The 5 on 3's are pathetic. I think we have better players than this.

We can blame Perry..but again, Renney is just as at fault. He is the head coach.

I dont everyone to think im all "HATE RENNEY"...but i do try to show the other side that nobody wants to bring out since we are doing well.

gravytrain6t 10-30-2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 16101735)
Renney is an average coach that is blessed with a great team for the past 3 years and a all star goalie.

Lets not kid ourselves, with an average team and an average goalie...we wouldn't be making the playoffs the past 3 years.


Ron Low could have gotten this team to the playoffs with the team we've had over the past 3 years...or just Lundqvist.

Renney makes mistakes all the time, line changes that are questionable all the time, and usually don't do much of anything.

Renney is a decent coach, but hes nothing that special.

Id give Sather more credit for putting together a great team before Renney.


PS - Oh, i'm well aware im going to get ripped apart..bring it on guys ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by robruckus (Post 16101101)
As for the Prucha thing...I like Petr. I love how hard he works. I love watching him. I think he deserves to play over Fritsche. But anyone who blames Tom Renney for Petr Prucha's failing is just out of their mind. Renney is ruining his confidence? Prucha hasn't scored a freakin goal in like two years and it's Tom's fault for scratching him every couple games? Tom's supposed to say hmm well Petr you haven't scored in years but I'm not gonna ruin your confidence so get back in there! Give me a break. I appreciate the work Prucha does more than anyone but to blame his failings on Renney is just ridiculous.

Scored in years??? last year Prucha lost his touch. Maybe it was an off year or maybe the guy just stinks. However I doubt he stinks. I blame his off year on someone else though, but thats a whole other thread. In Prucha's first two years he scored 30 and then 22. Much more than even the great Pavel Datzyuk did his first two years in Detroit. He was a late pick too. I think Prucha can regain the touch. But no, I'm sorry I can't give you or Renney a break on this one. He needs more minutes, a consistent line and not be on two games off two games.

gravytrain6t 10-30-2008 11:27 PM

sorry flyline idk y i quoted u there. my mistake. Well I guess I can throw in that I would share the credit between firstly, Jaromir Jagr and then Renney for realizing how badly Jagr wanted to prove himself with all the changes in the rulebook, post strike year. I firmly believe Jagr's relationship with Renney and Slats went down the tubes when they let Jag's favorite center, Nylander go and brought in more defensive minded North American centers who didn't click with Jagr (who, like Nylander, liked to slow the game down and not play at such a fast pace). Also as time went on, the Rangers under Renney became much more defensive minded (not that I blame him) and Jagr gave it one final "go" in the 2007-08 playoffs but I think he already knew then, he knew where he would be next year.

Salz 10-30-2008 11:33 PM

Renney has deserved criticism over the years for some of his moves, but overall he's a pretty good coach. Still, to say he's exempt from criticism because we've made the playoffs the last 3 years and are off to a hot start this season is ridiculous.

Kind of Blue 10-30-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 16101735)
Renney is an average coach that is blessed with a great team for the past 3 years and a all star goalie.

Lets not kid ourselves, with an average team and an average goalie...we wouldn't be making the playoffs the past 3 years.

Ron Low could have gotten this team to the playoffs with the team we've had over the past 3 years...

FLY, though I don't post often, I read the board often, and I think you're smarter than that.

With all due respect, your comment treats the team as if it were fantasy hockey or playstation, and totally ignores the significance of man-management and team culture and mentality. Its not like players are robots and have one level of production, under all circumstances.

FLYLine24 10-30-2008 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greek fan (Post 16102824)
FLY, though I don't post often, I read the board often, and I think you're smarter than that.

With all due respect, your comment treats the team as if it were fantasy hockey or playstation, and totally ignores the significance of man-management and team culture and mentality. Its not like players are robots and have one level of production, under all circumstances.


If I thought the team was a fantasy team or a Playstation team then I would think the team would be brutal. We have 1 superstar, and 1 star (Lundqvist and Gomez).

We have one emerging star in Zherdev.

So c'on now, that is not how I look at our team at all. I see a team that goes all out, we have so many players that play their tails off (Dubi, Cally, Dawes, Drury, Zherdev, etc etc)....We have a team that bust their ass. A team we never had in the late 90's or early 2000's. Again, i give credit to great drafting and good signings.

Question for all..if we didnt have Renney...do you think Dubinsky, Callahan, Sjo, Betts, etc would play any different? They play every shift likes its OT in game 7 of the SCFs...thats not going to change whoever is coaching.

We also have a great top 6 on defense which I think is better then 90% of the teams.

We have Lundqvist, again, like I already stated, a superstar in the league.

I'm sorry, i just feel Sather serves the credit a lot more then Renny.

I like Renney but Sather deserves more credit for putting together a team that is WILLING to work their ass off, something we lacked for years and years.

D713B 10-30-2008 11:51 PM

I don't mind criticism, so long as its constructive and not whining. Tom's done great things for this team but even he would be the first to stand up and say he could do better. If he didn't he wouldn't be the coach he is.

FLYLine24 10-30-2008 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D713B (Post 16102999)
I don't mind criticism, so long as its constructive and not whining. Tom's done great things for this team but even he would be the first to stand up and say he could do better. If he didn't he wouldn't be the coach he is.

We'll that is one thing I love about Renney...he knows the team can be better. I listen to him after every win and he is rarely ever happy. He knows the team could have played better.

So I do like that about him.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.