HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   News Article: Näslund: "I feel more relaxed." (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=567667)

Chimp 10-31-2008 04:23 AM

Näslund: "I feel more relaxed."

http://gfx.aftonbladet.se/multimedia...sa_771278w.jpg
"I feel more relaxed"

NEW YORK. Markus Näslund is getting warm in his new clothes. Once again he scored a goal when his New York Rangers defeated Atlanta Trashers with 3-2 last night.

- I feel more relaxed now, says the veteran after the triumph.

New York Rangers keeps winning and winning. The victory tonight was the teams' fourth - and with it Markus Näslund and his team broke a team record; never before have Rangers had such good statistics after 13 rounds.

Pulling away
It also means they pull away in the top of the summarized NHL table. Notable - especially since the blue shirts haven't really played that well for 60 minutes in one single game.

- No, we mess up once and then, and we have Henke to thank for many of these victories, says Markus Näslund when Aftonbladets meets him in the Rangers locker room.
- But it feels good we still keep winning so much. We have good self confidence. Despite being behind before the last period we go out and know we can win.

Starts relaxing
Also for his own sake Näslund starts to have good self confidence. He has answered for seven points in the last five games and scored a goal also against Atlanta.

- It feels like I'm starting to relax more, he explains.
- It was a while when I just skated around and chased too much, and messed up with the puck. Now I start to feel more comfortable.

That sounds good for the league leaders.

bumrusherer 10-31-2008 05:15 AM

It certainly looks like it. Sometimes its hard as fans to understand that even the most experienced players will suffer from insecurity or nerves when they take themselves out of their comfort zone.

Sad London Ranger 10-31-2008 05:22 AM

what a relief....

I hope he doesn't relax too much....

Levitate 10-31-2008 05:50 AM

I think Naslund is going to be one of those guys who quietly puts up points this year, but doesn't stand out a whole lot. I didn't even know he had 7 points in 5 games.

Not someone you want to rely on to carry the team, but someone who makes some important contributions

Shake and Bake 10-31-2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 16104739)
I think Naslund is going to be one of those guys who quietly puts up points this year, but doesn't stand out a whole lot. I didn't even know he had 7 points in 5 games.

Not someone you want to rely on to carry the team, but someone who makes some important contributions

And thats's why I thought he was a good signing. Was asked to do to much in Vancouver as opposed to here

Midnight85 10-31-2008 08:35 AM

There was a time when he was that kind of player, the kind of player that could carry a team.

That time is probably past him, but the Rangers didn't pay him to be that type of player. If he scores 30 goals it'd be well, well, well worth it.

LetsGoBlueshirts 10-31-2008 08:35 AM

Quote:

I agree, boy it would be something to get 30 goals from him.....
(hes on pace for 25, slow start included)

I'm just too excited watching this team

dfings 10-31-2008 08:49 AM

Something else about Naslund is that during the game last night when Z was sent to the penalty box for that trip before the face off it was not Chris Drury talking to the refs it was Marcus Naslund. I am glad that he went over and talked to the refs and hopefully he will continue that in the future when there are questionable calls and brawls.

ThirdEye 10-31-2008 08:49 AM

Quote:

Hmm... that sounds familiar. I think we got a very good replacement for Straka

I Am Chariot 10-31-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdEye (Post 16105389)

Exactly! With an upside of some additional production if we're lucky

Sad London Ranger 10-31-2008 11:35 AM

I am not so sure he was a good signing...
His attribute is speed.....at 35 he wont be getting any faster. Not like Jagr who is using his size and strength and stick skill to get himself into position, naslund uses his skating.

I actually think he will age far quickly than Shanny who doesnt rely on speed at at all.

TheZherdev 10-31-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdEye (Post 16105389)

Yea but Straka was a heart and soul player. When Naslund dives in front of a Zdano Chara slapshot TWICE in once shift than you can compare him to Straka. But thats not to say I'm not happy with the signing Naslund, in fact its the completel opposite. Im very happy with his play, just dont compare him to Straka because hes not.

NYR Viper 10-31-2008 11:40 AM

you can tell he is getting more and more comfortable....and he is finally shooting the puck....i agree with whoever said he seems like the type of player who will quietly put up points all season long and be a nice piece to the puzzle here in NY....

BklyNYR4Life 10-31-2008 11:41 AM

Stats wise he is comparable to what Straka was to the team.

ThisYearsModel 10-31-2008 11:45 AM

25 goals from markus is acceptable. Anything over 30 is a bonus. he hustles and plays both ends, and when Sundin gets here he will really produce.

Unk 10-31-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger (Post 16106932)
His attribute is speed.....at 35 he wont be getting any faster. Not like Jagr who is using his size and strength and stick skill to get himself into position, naslund uses his skating.

I actually think he will age far quickly than Shanny who doesnt rely on speed at at all.

I dunno, I believe skating players who avoid a lot of physical contact tend to age better. Unless Renney gives him way too many minutes he should be fine for the next 2 seasons.

I Eat Crow 10-31-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel (Post 16107050)
25 goals from markus is acceptable. Anything over 30 is a bonus. he hustles and plays both ends, and when Sundin gets here he will really produce.

Care to reveal the source you're getting this from? ;)

On topic, its good that Naslund feels that he has found a niche on this team. His point production along with Zherdev's is what will make or break the Rangers offense from here on in.

Jaromir Jagr 10-31-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel (Post 16107050)

Pretty sure Sundin is leaning towards a 2-year, 20$ million offer, rather than the 1-year $2 million offer the Rangers can offer him.

Radek27 10-31-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash the Net (Post 16108571)
Pretty sure Sundin is leaning towards a 2-year, 20$ million offer, rather than the 1-year $2 million offer the Rangers can offer him.

If that was the case and money was what is important to him he would be playing for the Nucks right now. IMO it's pretty obvious that Mats and the Rangers have been waiting on each other.

007 10-31-2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger (Post 16106932)

While I'm inclined to agree with you about Näslund not being as evergreen as Shanny, his best attribute, speed, is not his only one. He's got a fine release and a lot of character and brains on the ice. I don't think he'll age badly, even if he won't be in the league anymore when he's 40.

I don't think it's a good sign that he's still someone who can rightly considers 20 goals and 60 points disappointing

007 10-31-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radek27 (Post 16109231)
If that was the case and money was what is important to him he would be playing for the Nucks right now. IMO it's pretty obvious that Mats and the Rangers have been waiting on each other.

Good word I hope not.

Jaromir Jagr 10-31-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Just because you want it to happen doesn't make it a reality, pal.

slim399 10-31-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life (Post 16107004)
Stats wise he is comparable to what Straka was to the team.

Was thinking the same thing. Seems like a similar signing to what Straka was at the time. If he can put up similar numbers to strak his first two seasons I will be very happy... and has the potential to exceed that. Seems like he has that same hard working solid two way game and lead by example type of play.

As others mentioned he has the wild card factor of being very good friends with Sundin and helping the possibility of signing him. There is now way you can believe that Sather did not have this in the back of his mind when signing him.

I still can't help dream of a Naslund-Sundin-Korpikoski line for the second half of the season. Sundin puts this team from a very good team to a cup contender.

pavvento 11-01-2008 02:16 AM

Quote:

I would think Sundin is doing what every old athlete is doing these days, taking some time off and starting late to stay fresh for the playoffs.

I really don't think the Rangers are interested in having Dubinsky center the third line, which is why Drury has been on the wing so much.

Kiefer 11-01-2008 02:18 AM

Good to hear that he is finding his place in NY.